Forums are back in action! ×

Intro - Need to stop the excuses, build discipline, and change this time!

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here (41 male) and looking forward to getting started with the group so I have more structure and accountability to achieve my goals.  I've been looking around the forums for awhile and have read Level Up Your Life so I think I'm getting the general idea of things.  I started creating a character but I'm not finished yet.  I think what best suits me is a Ranger - I've done a fair amount of Crossfit in the past and enjoyed it but a change in jobs made it too difficult to keep up with so I have been working on at home where I have quite a bit of equipment.  For the past several months I've been following the Stronglifts 5x5 workout and am happy with it because it's got structure and is simple and relatively fast.  However, my adherence to it has been sporadic - it's designed to be done 3 times a week and I usually only get two days done and every few weeks only get one or none, so I don't end up making much progress.  I also run 3 miles a few times a week, I tend to do that more frequently than the strength workouts.  I also mountain bike and rock climb with friends, but not often enough to matter.  I would like to lose some fat around my waist, I've always yo-yo'ed with my weight.  If I lose 10 pounds I would look a lot better, and if I lost 15-20 I would be lean, six pack territory.  I eat too much crap in the evening, so that is what I need to work on.  I guess that's plenty for an intro, thanks for reading and I'll take any suggestions anyone has to start out right!  

• Like 1

Welcome to NF, and I wish you luck with your journey.

You may find a lot of people start out with 5x5, and really if you can get to the gym on 2x a week, then it is better than nothing.

To help with the food, food diaries are a pretty good idea. Once laid out you can really see when and why you might be consuming what you do. Finding triggers and actually having a start point to change relatively bad eating habits/cues.

So much great advice all over the threads, take your time and read on. :)

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Welcome aboard.  Always glad to see new prospective rangers...  feel free to swing by the guildhall and introduce yourself and check us out.  We will be happy to have you.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hi, welcome on board!

You said you want to lose 10-20lbs but have been eating too much crap in the evenings (which I can relate to!), have you read This article? 

If you are struggling to find motivation to work out, or eat right, or level up in other ways then why not join us in the upcoming 4 Week Challenge?  It starts on Sunday but don't worry about being late to the party, you can join in at any time.  The challenges make a HUGE difference to my motivation and dedication when I do them, it's amazing what the accountability of putting it out there and having other people following your progress does. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

19 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

To help with the food, food diaries are a pretty good idea. Once laid out you can really see when and why you might be consuming what you do. Finding triggers and actually having a start point to change relatively bad eating habits/cues.

Yep, I totally agree.  Every time I have gotten in good shape the common thread was that I was consistently logging my food.  I'm using MyFitnessPal currently for food logging and every morning for at least a year I've planned out exactly my food plan is for the day, meal by meal.  The problem is that I so rarely adhere to the plan and I end up falling victim to myself.   I'm hoping this place can help me with that.  Thanks for the reply.  

5 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hi, welcome on board!

You said you want to lose 10-20lbs but have been eating too much crap in the evenings (which I can relate to!), have you read This article? 

If you are struggling to find motivation to work out, or eat right, or level up in other ways then why not join us in the upcoming 4 Week Challenge?  It starts on Sunday but don't worry about being late to the party, you can join in at any time.  The challenges make a HUGE difference to my motivation and dedication when I do them, it's amazing what the accountability of putting it out there and having other people following your progress does. ;) 

Thanks for the link to the article - I know too well how important my food is, I just have need to get much better at being disciplined.  I'm totally motivated, I just need to build the consistent discipline to make the right choices when it gets tough.  What really gets me frustrated is that I know from my own experience that if I just do this for a week, it's get a TON easier to keep going - I just need to START.  

Big high five for the 4 week challenge info, sounds like just what I need -I'm in!  Thanks!  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, evolution said:

Thanks for the link to the article - I know too well how important my food is, I just have need to get much better at being disciplined.  I'm totally motivated, I just need to build the consistent discipline to make the right choices when it gets tough.  What really gets me frustrated is that I know from my own experience that if I just do this for a week, it's get a TON easier to keep going - I just need to START.  

Big high five for the 4 week challenge info, sounds like just what I need -I'm in!  Thanks!  

Awesome! If you want any feedback about your goals then you could always post them in here and ask for opinions.  You may get a ton, and no two alike, but you can always just pick the one that fits you best. ;) 

Oh, and thought you might like this....

27db71a3a3d2be3f423cff0258289c4e.jpg

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously