Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for some help setting up a rebel-approved eating plan

So, I want to avoid the word 'diet' like the plague, and am instead trying to create an 'eating plan' to trial in the next six week challenge. I'd really appreciate some help with this because I am (a) unimaginative, (B) stubborn and © poor, so I am not having much success doing this on my own.

Little relevant background: I use My Fitness Pal to track calories, because I don't cope well with just... eating. I have tried paleo but simply can't afford it. If I was on my own it wouldn't be a problem, but one pack of chicken - which I could make last for three meals - is eaten in one due to my bf's bigger portions and general hungriness. This equaled us eating a monthly shop in about 8 or 9 days, which I can't keep up! Also, in Scotland, we don't have local greengrocers or anything so veg/fruit has to come from supermarkets. This generally means it is twice the price and half the size.

TL;DR I need to keep things like pasta and rice in my diet to bulk out meals because I can't afford to eat meat for everything *sadface*

I'm a smidge under 5'6", currently weight 142lbs and would like to shift a bit more, but my main focus is on getting stronger. Workouts=sorted. Just the food stuff. I have a rebel fitness guide, but would like to creat something a little more tailored to me. So, if you're a non-paleo rebel or even have any suggestions whatsoever, fire away.

Rebels, go!

TL;DR I need to keep things like pasta and rice in my diet to bulk out meals because I can't afford to eat meat for everything *sadface*

So dont.....

Eggs are cheap, and are the gold standard of protein bio-availability. @20g of protein between two eggs from memory (could be wrong but you get the idea...)

Have you looked at protein shakes? Blitzed with a banana or similar it can make a good breakfast or meal on the run. And it doesn't have to be an expensive brand, generic will be fine. Just train the boyfriend to leave it alone

Cheaper things like mince are quite versatile too, and easily bulked out with lots of vegetables.

I'd personally dump the pasta and stick with the rice. Basmati rice is low GI, so shouldn't hit you quite so hard on the insulin spike.

Oats would be a good one for you (esp with some protein powder for breakfast), along with sweet potato and even normal potato's in moderation (and loaded with butter :) )

Is that the kind of input you were looking for, or have I gone off the beaten path?

And scuse spelling, 1 am here and not long finished work.....

Yes it was, thanks :)

I have been trying to train myself to like protein shakes and am persevering. I maybe need a new flavour. I think I need to go back to eggs. I got a bit sick of them for a while, but I think having them a couple of times a week would be good. I do eat a lot of extra lean mince, but good to know about the rice. Is brown rice just as good as basmati? I can switch easy if it's not but just good to know!

Also, any examples of meals you eat would be good too :)

Canned tuna in water is a great source of tasty, lean, cheap protein. Mix up a couple tins of tuna with some eggs and hot sauce, maybe some very finely minced green onion, drop big spoonfuls into a hot pan and cook them up like burgers. (Careful, they're a bit fragile.) Low cal, good oils, tons of protein. They cost me about £1 each.

Low fat greek yogurt is great too. I tend to have mine over banana pieces and a handful of home-made granola, with about half a scoop of protein powder stirred in. Great breakfast. Or dessert - I swear, banana pieces in greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder is better than ice cream.

I also love quiche. I tend to make a big one at the end of the week, put in all the leftover vegetables before they go off, and some frozen chicken pieces. Quiche is great because it's delicious even when you use cheap meat and random vegetables. I make the crust using whole wheat flour and low fat margarine, and usually leave out the cheese. You can use a little quiche pan, but I tend to make a huge one in a casserole dish, feeds myself and my boyfriend over the next couple days and saves me wasting stuff in the fridge.

Pies are also good! Again, I use a big casserole dish. Cheap mince from Iceland or Farmfoods, carrots, potatoes, leeks, onions, whatever I have in at the time. Fry up the mince with the veggies, pour in a pint of beef stock (I use Oxo cubes from a huge value pack), let it simmer for a bit, stir in some gravy granules, let it cook for another couple minutes, then just stick it in the casserole dish. Cover the top with dumpling mix made with light Atora suet and skimmed milk, or with mashed potato/sweet potato/swede/whatever you have around. Lovely. Lasts for days.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Check out the Archevore and Perfect Health diets. They are both modeled on paleo, but are more liberal about carbs/starches, which are generally cheap and filling.

I'll second the eggs, canned tuna, and greek yogurt. A lot of my lunches on slow days consist of a can of tuna on a big salad with some frozen vegetables added in.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

So dont.....

Eggs are cheap, and are the gold standard of protein bio-availability. @20g of protein between two eggs from memory (could be wrong but you get the idea...)

7g protein per egg. Gotten used to knowing protein amounts off the cuff like that... :P

Hmm if your heart is set on pasta, use leaner beef in your meatballs, and stick to whole wheat pasta. Just avoid the 'white' grains.

Saying anything about carb vs fat levels is hard to do without knowing how often you workout, but generally, the more you exercise, the more carbs you need, especially to get stronger.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

If you want to stick with grains, go whole grains to be healthier. Also, a good cheap carb source are beans. Last year I basically was on a paleo type diet but included black and pinto beans as well and used to eat a can a day. They're packed with calories to fill out a meal, they're high in fiber and a very slow burning carb, so very little insulin spiking, and they're cheap if you get them on sale. I think I bought 100 cans for 50 bucks and they lasted me months.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf