Forums are back in action! ×

Am I doing planks wrong?

Currently my workout looks like this:

Warm up (following Steve’s beginner’s workout)

Body Weight Squats- 15

Push Ups – 10

Waling Lunges – 15

Dumbbell Rows – 15

Planks – 10

Jumping Jacks - 25

Stretches (following Steve’s beginner’s stretches)

By the time I get to my planks my arms are pretty tired, and it’s a fight to be able to hold myself up on my arms in order to do my planks. My question is, does this mean I’m doing them wrong since it’s my arms that are causing me to stop instead of my core? Or is this normal? Should I move my planks up in the workout so that I can do them before my arms get tired?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

yeah, the push-ups are probably wearing down your arms; try switching the planks and push-ups and see how that works out.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

What you said doesn't lead me to think you're doing them wrong. When I do planks fresh I start to falter in my core by sagging first. If I do them when my arms are toasted then my arms are almost always the limiting factor.

As for where they should be in your workout I would probably move them ahead of pushups and dumbell rows with the thinking that doing planks first will affect performance in those less than doing those first affects performance in planks. You shouldn't be surprised if you take a small step back in push ups and dumbell rows by doing this but you'll adjust. Hopefully that all makes sense.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Not to be thick, but how are you doing your planks? If you're resting on your elbows, arm fatigue shouldn't be a major problem (except perhaps in your shoulders). If you've been doing them with your arms fully extended, try getting down on your elbows.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Not to be thick, but how are you doing your planks? If you're resting on your elbows, arm fatigue shouldn't be a major problem (except perhaps in your shoulders). If you've been doing them with your arms fully extended, try getting down on your elbows.

on my arms/elbows, like Steven demonstrated in his video.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains