Forums are back in action! ×

Question for woman

So in exciting news, my wife has informed me that she is pregnant. Its a very exciting/scary time. My wife, who started working out with me, wants to continue to get in better health/shape during the pregnancy. I know she is going to be extremely limited in what she can do now, so my question is if anyone had gone through this and have found programs/exercises that worked for you

**I caught my own mistake in the title, its still a little early for me should be

Question for a woman**

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

I continued my usual workouts for as long as I felt like it, and then, as I lost motivation, I started doing more yoga and gentle stretching kinds of things (about six months into my pregnancies, after I gained 50 lbs but before I got all the way to 70 -- yes, my body gains a lot during pregnancies, and grows big babies. I'm okay with that).

Anyway, I frequently had to remind people "I'm pregnant, not disabled," as I would go ahead and carry my own luggage or whatever. Don't assume your wife will be extremely limited - at least not until her belly gets in the way. Check with her OB, and my guess is that if she's doing any heavy lifting, she should tone that down toward the end of the pregnancy as ligaments loosen up to allow the hip bones to open wider for the birth. Also, contact sports (american football, rugby, etc) are probably not recommended -- but remember, baby is very well protected inside the amniotic sac in the uterus. Try this: Take a large jar, gently put an egg in it. Now fill the jar with water all the way to the very tippy top (no air anywhere), and screw the top on. Now try to break the egg by shaking the jar.

And again, CONGRATULATIONS! My kids are the most fun I've ever had.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I wrote a paper on this last semester!

Lots lots lots of studies proving exercise is beneficial for both mom and baby during pregnancy. I wouldn't call her "extremely limited" but going for her 1RM on dead lifts might not be the best idea.

Benefits of exercise (and I can cite the articles if you want!) -- decreased risks of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, decreased risk for postpartum depression (different than baby blues, nothing you can do about that :) ), etc.

Definitely depends on what she was doing for exercise prior to getting pregnant, I'd say compile a list and ask her OB :)

I have not been pregnant myself, but I know my mother, as a farmer, was very active with everything she could comfortably do up until the last day with all her pregnancies. With one of my brothers she was cross country skiing very close to delivery. Your wife might get limited because of things like pelvic girdle pain (some of my friends had it), but she doesn't have to be. Of course consult the OB, but my guess would be that everything that feels fine during and after a work out, should be fine. And I guess that being as fit as possible in time for delivery can only be good for mother and baby. Some compare it to a marathon race. I'm gonna be prepared when the day comes, if at all possible... ;)

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

Women still had to hunt and gather while pregnant right?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

According to one of my Pilates classmates, who is a doctor, if a woman already worked out before getting pregnant, she can continue to do so in most cases. It's only a matter of talking to the doctor and adapting the workout as pregnancy progresses. In addition, I know some women who liked to do yoga while pregnant because it helps with back pain and breathing.

Take a look:

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/pages/Stayactive.aspx

http://www.davedraper.com/hugo-training-while-pregnant.html (this one is specific to weight training)

Congrats on the baby! I hope everything goes well.

Congrats!! How very exciting for you both!

I did several of those pregnancy work out tapes during most of my pregnancy. If I were pregnant today I would do things differently than I did then. Less pregnancy aerobics tapes and more flexibilty and strength building. Birth was hard work. :)

Human Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2| WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven't. -Lucille Ball

My Blogger / Twitter / DailyMile / MyFitnessPal / 2012 Goals

Although I did mostly cardio before getting pregnant I did not have issues while pregnant. In fact, I went into labor while doing body weight squats. My only issue was becoming extremely dehydrated...no matter that I drank 16-20 glasses of water in a day; my body just could not seem to stay hydrated. It caused some really bad cramps and a few trips to the hospital. As long as she did the exercise before and is careful to maintain hydration she should do great! Congratulations to you and your family :)

Jediknightingale

Elf- Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Sweat is fat crying

It is simply an old wives tale that women are limited when pregnant! My mother is a midwife and when she was young, she used to deliver babies in England in Yorkshire on the ward and most of those mums were farmers wives and they would work hard right up until the time. In fact, she would keep them in bed for 2 weeks and come and wash the baby and tend to things so she would rest, and probably that was the only time in their lives that they did rest.

With my girls I exercised right up until the day I went into labor and make sure she does deep knee squats to open up the pelvis before the birth cause this helps trememndously with labor. Eating right, getting plenty of sleep, eating eggs, butter and grass fed meat all good. I walked, did yoga, did body weight exercises, lifted and finally in the last month I switched to Kathy Smiths pregnancy work out which was pretty good.

Just watch the mood swings....congratulations! :)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Once she gets further along in pregnancy, if she has issues powercleaning with a bar, I suggest she switches to dumbbells. :D

In all seriousness - check out crossfitmom.com

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Once she gets further along in pregnancy, if she has issues powercleaning with a bar, I suggest she switches to dumbbells. :D

In all seriousness - check out crossfitmom.com

Oh, that WOULD be bad....

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

So in exciting news, my wife has informed me that she is pregnant. Its a very exciting/scary time. My wife, who started working out with me, wants to continue to get in better health/shape during the pregnancy. I know she is going to be extremely limited in what she can do now, so my question is if anyone had gone through this and have found programs/exercises that worked for you

**I caught my own mistake in the title, its still a little early for me should be

Question for a woman**

No advice, I just wanted to say congratulations!

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde