Forums are back in action! ×

My vacation Workout- Critque It!

So tomorrow I will be leaving on my 10 day vacation to Clearwater/Tampa Florida! While there, we're going to 3 Phillies spring training games and playing 3 rounds of golf. I will not have a gym available to my knowledge, but I do want to do some weight training while I'm down there. Below are my planed substitutions for the normal exercises I do:

low bar parallel squats & deadlifts------>Wife/friend on shoulders squats

I typically squat 255lb. My heaviest friend going I think is about 180-190lb. I should be able to talk one of them into sitting on my shoulders. If not, I'll just find the heaviest thing I can find in the rental house and hold that while doing crap loads of squats.

bench press-------> wife on back push ups

I've done these before and they offer similar resistance. I think these are a bit harder really. Back up plan is just high rep push ups.

bent row---------> find a park and do chin ups/pull ups/negatives. Who knows, maybe I'll finally be able to do 5x5 pull ups (i wont)

overhead press---------> find heavy crap and press it over my head. backup plan is seriously high feet push ups.

I'll be doing each of the above a few times throughout the week as well as going for a few runs on the beach.

If you have any better ideas, let me know!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Few other options:

Probably a little late to learn pistols. Could do some jump squats if you can't find suitable weight.

For pushups you could do one arm emphasized versions, uneven pushups and/or typewriters

For OHP get in a handstand against the wall and hold it. Can do partial ROM headstand pushups too, the upper part of the ROM and top of a handstand targets the deltoids more than anything else.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Handstands not happening, they freak me out and I can't OHP anywhere near my weight.

As for 1 armers, I may try that, and I can do pistols as long as I hold onto something for balance, so those probably are a better option than wife on shoulders squats.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You don't need to be able to OHP your weight to do a headstand pushup. You do if you are to do a true handstand pushup with your hands on objects taller than you head (so you can go hands to shoulder level). For a headstand pushup (hands on the ground) you don't need to be able to OHP you bodyweight. The hardest/scary part of the ROM with those is head near the ground. At the top of a handstand with only a few inches of ROM it isn't nearly as scary or difficult to do. At the top most of the strain is on the deltoids in the angle it works best, as you get lower the strain moves to the triceps. Just holding a handstand against the wall is a heck of a shoulder exercise. Though the mental hurdle of handstands can be significant. I probably could do a full ROM headstand pushup, but I'm too scared of falling on my head to try (using a stack of books to slowly bring it down).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've kept the NerdFitness article on this for reference for awhile. It might help you out with some more ideas:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NerdFitnessBlog+%28Nerd+Fitness+Blog%29

Personally, I think your routine looks pretty solid for a vacation routine. You don't want to try and put in too much as it is supposed to be a break. Have Fun!

"Fortune favors the prepared mind"

You could press your wife.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2010/12/how-to-press-your-girlfriend/

Other than that just relax, have fun, and hit the weights hard when you get back. Remember you're on vacation.

I've kept the NerdFitness article on this for reference for awhile. It might help you out with some more ideas:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NerdFitnessBlog+%28Nerd+Fitness+Blog%29

Personally, I think your routine looks pretty solid for a vacation routine. You don't want to try and put in too much as it is supposed to be a break. Have Fun!

I'm on vacation, so I should be doing things I enjoy! And right now the top of that list is weight lifting. I think I'm only playing about an hour of video games a week now, which is unheard of from me.

The initial plan was actually to find a gym that would let me have a week long membership, but I ditched that because I have no clue if I'm actually gonna get any of this in. I figured bodyweight stuff (mine and others) could be fit in anywhere. Steve's body weight stuff just isn't as high of resistance as I'd like, for legs anyway. I probably could use a week of endurance work though.

I'll probably do bodyweight stuff that I can complete in the 10 rep range, so pistol/one leg squats (I cant get the stretched leg straight!), heavily declined push ups, pull ups/negatives. As long as I can get a squat, a push, and a pull in I'm happy.

And I wish I could press my wife. She's not much above my max, but my shoulders are weak as hell and I haven't been able to progress my press at all...

500 / 330 / 625

Steve's body weight stuff just isn't as high of resistance as I'd like, for legs anyway. I probably could use a week of endurance work though.

I have to say, the Advanced Bodyweight workout is a leg biter, especially if you sub in the BW squats for jump squats. It could be because I did it the day after my endurance day (2 by 50reps), but it's pretty decent. I highly recommend.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I've done it too with angry birds, which is usually my go to body weight routine and may be again. I just don't like the super high rep stuff all that much.

Edit: btw, I am level 5-4 2 stars on squats, level 4 2 stars on pushups, level 3 2 stars on pull ups, and level 2 3 stars on planks, but I typically don't do them because I hate them.

500 / 330 / 625

I may actually do angry birds, talking about it makes me want to improve those levels again.

500 / 330 / 625