Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Making grunts on lifts definitely helps me, especially squats

Grunts is fine. Yelling is not. Most yellers do it for attention. Right before they throw their plates on the ground and walk away without re-racking.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

There was a guy in the gym the other night, and it was not real late, but late enough to where there wasn't a whole lot of people there.

This guy had his phone ring twice and he'd answer it in the loudest speaking voice possible: "HELLO THIS IS MARK SNOW HOW CAN I HELP YOU." (Mark Snow isn't his name, I honestly don't remember it, but it sounded similar to that.)

Then he'd tune his volume down to a normal speaking voice and speak with the caller.

It was an obvious "LOOK AT HOW IMPORTANT I AM, EVERYONE" ploy. He didn't even stop messing with the weights while he was talking on the phone.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

Gahhh I can't even think about lifting 340 lbs. Like ever.

My highschool choir teacher was benching something like 320lbs one day when his left pectorial muscle tore off of his chest and shot into his arm (sending the 320lb bar dropping towards him). Luckily the spotter saw it coming, and was a beast, and was able to catch the bar and put it back on the bench. Still terrifies me.

Whatt. Whaaatttt. WHHAAATTTT.

AAAAGUUUGHH AUUUGGGHHHA UUUUGUUGUGUHHH

*This reenactment brought to you by Coconut Water.

Seriously gross though! Aauuugggghhh uuuggggggg guuuh

• Like 1

RACE: Selkie | STATUS: Puggle STR: 1 | DEX: 3 | STA: 6 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 Level 1: Begin.

Whatt. Whaaatttt. WHHAAATTTT.

AAAAGUUUGHH AUUUGGGHHHA UUUUGUUGUGUHHH

*This reenactment brought to you by Coconut Water.

Seriously gross though! Aauuugggghhh uuuggggggg guuuh

Yeah. It was pretty intense though. He bragged about it a bunch, and the guy who caught the weights (A student, this was in weight lifting class which he taught) became a hero at school.

• Like 1
Grunts is fine. Yelling is not. Most yellers do it for attention. Right before they throw their plates on the ground and walk away without re-racking.

There is a man who growls at my gym. Not just while lifting..but while he's walking around. Pretty well built, but every set ends with a pose in front of the mirroi.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

There is a man who growls at my gym. Not just while lifting..but while he's walking around. Pretty well built, but every set ends with a pose in front of the mirroi.

Secretly wolverine?

They/them please

Not really overheard, but the MMA dweeb at the camp gym has an irritating habit of coming in just before peak hours and claiming a large section of the small gym to drill whatever he's working on that day.

Yesterday he had pads strapped to one of the uprights on the big barbell contraption, drilling some jab, punch, elbow, kick combo. It was a real quick maneuver, only taking a second or two, but then he'd walk around, stretch it out, reset his stance, false start, false start, false start, do the combo, repeat eight or nine times.

The annoying part is that those 8-9 times took 45 minutes. Yesterday was SUPPOSED to be a strength day, but I couldn't use the damn bar :(

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Gahhh I can't even think about lifting 340 lbs. Like ever.

My highschool choir teacher was benching something like 320lbs one day when his left pectorial muscle tore off of his chest and shot into his arm (sending the 320lb bar dropping towards him). Luckily the spotter saw it coming, and was a beast, and was able to catch the bar and put it back on the bench. Still terrifies me.

O_O

Guh...buh...gwuh....aughbuh! *shivers* GUH! That...just...bwuh!

• Like 1
It took me weeks, but I finally finished that "Joined a new gym last night..." thread on Starting Strength that someone linked to in this thread. Darn you to heck.

A fascinating albeit extremely *long* insight into crazy gym antics, and how men talk when they think there's no women listening. *lol*

Bwahahaha!!! Have you also read the Crossfit "Seen at the globo yesterday" thread?

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

this is quite a while ago but i forgot about this thread for some reason, i'd just walked round the side of the bench to spot my mate after doing my set and i noticed a couple of guys doing bench dips with a couple of plates (15 or 20kg can't remember) and i said to them in passing, 'there's some dip bars down there if you want guys' (or something to that effect) to which i got the reply 'yeah but these are easier' que my quizzical look and a deadpanned 'it's not supposed to be easy...' *turn around and ask 'dafuq?!' to my mate*

also had a guy congratulate me on being one of the few who squat properly at my gym whilst he sets up for deadlifting i thank him and have a little chat and find out he's not trained for a bit but used to go to a proper gym that i'd go to but it's too far out the way anyhow i watch him wram up by doing a ton of reps with the bar (crappy form but what can you expect with just the bar when you can do 100kg+ it's just not gonna feel right) then adds a 20kg plate each set (still slightly off form, back a bit rounded throughout but he's not come in a while, i let it slip) till he gets to 3 plates (145kg) and does horrendously, he gets the weight up to about knee level and instead of hip drive he just moves his upperbody back and 'rocks' the bar up until he stands up... eh?

Was at the gym this evening when two guys show up with about an hour left until closing time. I just finished my squats and bench presses in the squat rack (I was the only one in the gym using the squat rack and the other guys were doing ab work using the cable machines and then checking out their abs in the mirrors) and was outside the rack doing barbell rows. They asked if I was using the smith machine. I laughed and said I don't use it. The one guy thanked me and proceeded to explain how great the smith machine, or his girl as he called it, was. The other guy said he prefers using the barbell and bench. Nah, said the first guy: "The smith machine's bar doesn't weigh anything and it makes it so much easier to lift heavy weights cuz it helps you. It's good for you if you're injured and still want to work out cuz it makes lifting easier for you so you don't have to use as much muscle."

He then proceeded to do a warm up set of bench presses. Funny thing was at the same time he was pressing, he was doing leg lifts and doing crunches when the bar was at the top. I wish I took a video as it was the funniest thing I ever saw!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Yeah, I got this!" -andygates

Was at the gym this evening when two guys show up with about an hour left until closing time. I just finished my squats and bench presses in the squat rack (I was the only one in the gym using the squat rack and the other guys were doing ab work using the cable machines and then checking out their abs in the mirrors) and was outside the rack doing barbell rows. They asked if I was using the smith machine. I laughed and said I don't use it. The one guy thanked me and proceeded to explain how great the smith machine, or his girl as he called it, was. The other guy said he prefers using the barbell and bench. Nah, said the first guy: "The smith machine's bar doesn't weigh anything and it makes it so much easier to lift heavy weights cuz it helps you. It's good for you if you're injured and still want to work out cuz it makes lifting easier for you so you don't have to use as much muscle."

He then proceeded to do a warm up set of bench presses. Funny thing was at the same time he was pressing, he was doing leg lifts and doing crunches when the bar was at the top. I wish I took a video as it was the funniest thing I ever saw!

Three excercises at the same time. That is efficency. We can learn something from this guy :P

The latest in curl bro exercises.

Curl one dumbbell halfway (so your forearm is parallel to the floor). Hold that position while you curl the other dumbbell normally.

I've seen it 3 times this week. Wonder what fitness mag that was in??

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Today I witnessed a new type of cardio training. One guy was on the bike sweating up a storm with the football game on tv in front of him, while his buddy sat in the bike next to him with a towel draped over his shoulder and didn't even bother peddling as he watched the game and chatted with his friend.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I'm the one who's usually misguided, so I don't know if I've heard anything absurd. However, I crack up when I'm upstairs doing cardio watching the meatheads below in the weight section (I have no shame). And by meatheads, I mean no disrespect to any of you who use weights to work out. THESE guys look like Pauly D and are showing off and grunting so loud you can hear them in the pool area.

"Strength without determination means nothing...determination without strength is equally useless!" -Godo, FFVII

NF Academy Profile  :pirate:

The latest in curl bro exercises.

Curl one dumbbell halfway (so your forearm is parallel to the floor). Hold that position while you curl the other dumbbell normally.

I've seen it 3 times this week. Wonder what fitness mag that was in??

i've seen that few time in british mens health/fitness quite a few times it's not that new i don't think. You gotta keep constant tension! TUT is where it's AT!

There's a guy at my gym who only ever does upper body stuff, and I've only ever seen him do curls and bench presses, usually with atrocious form. He always wears really tight Lycra compression t shirts and running tights, which only accentuate his pitifully weedy legs and unbalanced top half.

It's not often that anyone dead lifts in my gym, but I once saw a guy load up the bar with an impossible amount of weight, wrestle it to the top(lots of squirming and grunting), then he rested the barbell on his KNEECAPS before dropping it to the ground. How he didn't do himself a mischief I'll never know!

We had a guy for a while who loaded up the bar for squats, I mean every weight in the place. And then picked it two inches off the rack and then put it back down. It was horrible. Lol

My friend once roped me into going to one of her cardio classes after I'd already done my workout. So I went in exchange for racing her on rows and that she would have to do squats with the bar afterward. (Never challenge a person descended from vikings to rowing race. I won, but she gave me a run for my money.) Anyway, we're in the class, I'm the only guy aside from the instructor, and at one point the instructor has the group doing squats. As encouragement he says, "Go down, it'll give you a nice tight ass. I like a nice tight ass." It took all of me not to burst out laughing. I didn't get around to getting her to do squats because dudely dudes were curling in the squat racks and she had to go. She is also of firm belief that women shouldn't lift weights.

Rurounii
Level 5 Half Elf/Half Saiyan Ranger
STR: 12 DEX: 5 STA: 20 CON: 11 WIS: 12 CHA: 7.5
Current Challenge: Challenge 4: Back on Track to Super Saiyan!

We had a guy for a while who loaded up the bar for squats, I mean every weight in the place. And then picked it two inches off the rack and then put it back down. It was horrible. Lol

I've seen this done before, and while I used to mock it, I've found that it can be useful CNS training when things get really heavy. Allows your body to get used to having the weight on you and then when you go to your work sets things feel lighter mentally.

Now, this person was probably not using that little technique, so back to mocking.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle