Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Species: DARK Wood Elf

Class: Assassin

STR3 DEX2 STA3 CON2WIS2 CHA2

" Guess that's the difference between us and the Avengers.

The world already looked pretty good to them. They fought to keep it as it was.

We fought to make it better"

- Rogue (Anna Marie)  ( Earth 616)

Obitim, on 30 Jan 2014 - 4:18 PM, said:snapback.png

I was an idioty at the gym...the Smith machine was in use (for squats or chest presses, I can't remember!)

So I decided to do inverted bodyweight rows on the power rack with the Olympic Bar...looking back I realise how dangerous it was and how stupid I looked...

I do this plenty. Just put the Oly bar on the safety pins. You're not gonna hurt it.

yeah, but our power rack has no safety pins...

Dudes always neglect the neck. *shakes head*

What's an inversion, btw?

Looks at music collection covering 40 years of metal ... Nope, my neck is plenty strong ;)

Dictated over the phone to trained howler monkeys who post it on the Internet for me.

• Like 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

It's a category of advanced poses in yoga. I was doing a pose called fallen angel. Where I mostly balance my body weight on my hands and a little bit on my cheek while my legs are in the air. The guy next to me was like "pshhhh so easy" ..He tried it and fell.. If you look up the pose it's not as easy as it may seem.

No yoga is easy.  I tried some for about a month.  I've never had my *** kicked in so many ways by my own body. ><

• Like 4

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Then do vinyasa flow, intermediate. Going upside down might help you appreciate fluidity and slow movements. I'm not into super slow movements myself, but without them the balance isn't there, and neither is the burn.

Species: DARK Wood Elf

Class: Assassin

STR3 DEX2 STA3 CON2WIS2 CHA2

" Guess that's the difference between us and the Avengers.

The world already looked pretty good to them. They fought to keep it as it was.

We fought to make it better"

- Rogue (Anna Marie)  ( Earth 616)

Don't do it!

You know- I moved from CA to NJ and I've been here since 2007.  It's not nearly as atrocious as people think it is- there is a lot of stuff to do here- and a lot of access to stuff- NYC, Pocono's DC, Philly, AC if you are into that kind of thing- lots of good stuff and a plethora of airports so you have pretty easy access no matter where you are.

I would much prefer to live in PA- but since Christi put his foot down on working for the state having to live in the state- I'm stuck here. 

Regardless- I'm now smack in the middle of the state essentially so if you want to hang out!!! by all means let me know-

I have a pretty sweet gym at this point too so I'm really happy with how things are going. 

EXIT 7 woot woot

You know- I moved from CA to NJ and I've been here since 2007.  It's not nearly as atrocious as people think it is- there is a lot of stuff to do here- and a lot of access to stuff- NYC, Pocono's DC, Philly, AC if you are into that kind of thing- lots of good stuff and a plethora of airports so you have pretty easy access no matter where you are.

I would much prefer to live in PA- but since Christi put his foot down on working for the state having to live in the state- I'm stuck here. 

Regardless- I'm now smack in the middle of the state essentially so if you want to hang out!!! by all means let me know-

I have a pretty sweet gym at this point too so I'm really happy with how things are going. 

EXIT 7 woot woot

I know Jersey has its nice parts, but I grew up in MD, so I have to talk some crap haha

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I've done something very much like Yoga ... well, it's like Yoga in a way that Scrambled Eggs are like Crème Brûlée

Y'know ... as a Surfer, I should like Yoga ... I mean it's all about Balance and slowness and Calm and so on; which is kinda how I am, really ... but once I get a DVD on or something OnDemand and I try it ... I'm all like: "Okay, I can touch my toes. Great! Can we move on here? I haven't got all day! What's next? Move it people!"

Then do vinyasa flow, intermediate. Going upside down might help you appreciate fluidity and slow movements. I'm not into super slow movements myself, but without them the balance isn't there, and neither is the burn.

Prasara yoga focused on the transition between movements more than the movements themselves; it's good for those who want to speed it up a bit.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C0Rn1vf4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q44JKHBmqg

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

Exit 127 for about six months, Perth Amboy wut!

Did not know this. When?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Today I witnessed leg pressing with the smith machine.

And by leg pressing with the smith machine, I mean, a guy on his back with his feet in the air, using his legs/feet to press the bar up.  One of the trainers recommended he take other approaches to working his legs, but he wasn't having any of it.

• Like 2

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

And by leg pressing with the smith machine, I mean, a guy on his back with his feet in the air, using his legs/feet to press the bar up.  One of the trainers recommended he take other approaches to working his legs, but he wasn't having any of it.

Prehensile toes?

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Yeah, that's actually a thing. Good for hamstrings or quads, depending on how you set up.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/smith-machine-leg-press

There was a guy at the gym this morning, he was on the rower, sweating like mad and didn't have a towel, he then left the machine and another woman went and got on the machine...

That man was me, and I'd left the machine to get a paper towel to wipe it down...all I could do was wipe the handles off...egg and my face were in alignment.

Lesson learned?  next time get the paper towel in advance if you forget your own...

Yeah, that's actually a thing. Good for hamstrings or quads, depending on how you set up.

^What I was going to say.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

He definitely didn't look like that.  I'm thinking something was lost in translation and he tried to do some "exercise/workout of the week".  It was rather unstable and perilous-looking at the time.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Today there were a bunch of people in the open space area for bodyweight; everyone else was on their phones doing their reps halfheartedly or incorrectly.  I know a lot of people don't like the gym and go out of sense of obligation, but I couldn't help thinking that if they just put the phones away they could get done faster...and efficiently.  

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

Today there were a bunch of people in the open space area for bodyweight; everyone else was on their phones doing their reps halfheartedly or incorrectly. I know a lot of people don't like the gym and go out of sense of obligation, but I couldn't help thinking that if they just put the phones away they could get done faster...and efficiently.

This attitude confuses me. I understand that some things aren't as enjoyable as others, but if you're going to do it anyway, why prolong the discomfort? It's the same with my wife and her share of the housework, it'll take her 3x as long as it takes me simply because she won't get stuck in and just get it over with. Very confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

The other day I heard a couple dudes talking business in the lifting area; they both had British accents.

I immediately thought "Hm? That's what some of the NF members might sound like"

what? british? or business like cause we're all smart madafackers (lol i lucked my way through a foundation degree that i hated)

• Like 2

I had an odd one today.

I was in a half rack resting after my 4th set of barbell rows, just trying to catch my breath so I could go for set 5 and call it a day.  A pair of guys walk up to me and tap me on the shoulder.  When I took the music out of my ears I'm asked

"Hey, are you doing curls?"

"No, I'm just finishing up my rows"

"Oh.  Ok" *turns to buddy* "What's a row and why does it have to be done in the curl rack?"

......I made it a point to stick my butt out as far as I could at them when I bent over to do my last set of rows.

• Like 4

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue