Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

So yesterday I saw a guy come into my gym and start lifting.  No big deal right?  Except he was wearing a polo shirt and sagging jeans down past his cheeks.  How the hell is that even comfortable, nevermind lifting like that?!  

On the other hand, I'll give him credit for getting into the gym and doing something.  Better to be there in jeans than not at all.  

Perhaps those are the jeans he started lifting in, and they fit better back then...

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I don't know if I could handle that

Threesomes are bad enough [someone always ends up alone in the corner, pouting]

Like you say though "Each to their own"

... or someone else's, as the case may be

I don't know.  In my experience, it can be done.  Though it does take a certain kind. 

Perhaps those are the jeans he started lifting in, and they fit better back then...

Perhaps.  I certainly hope so.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

"You should be doing piroutte squats."

Um. what?

(the dancer in me immediately perks)

LIke this (gets into sumo stance)... you know a piroutte squat.

<le sigh> it's a plie'    

plie' dude- you sound like a jackass when you say that.

Same dude

"we should to a form clinic" says I

"well why" says he"

um because I need to work on my butt wink

<faceblank>

what for your bench?

<Facepalm me>  no- for my squat.

sigh- I still don't have work for my butt wink. I has a sad. 

• Like 1

Honestly unless he was 150 lbs a 295 bench is rather unimpressive especially after 20 years.

agreed. I hit 365# bench after about 2 years of serious lifting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

"You should be doing piroutte squats."

Um. what?

(the dancer in me immediately perks)

LIke this (gets into sumo stance)... you know a piroutte squat.

<le sigh> it's a plie'    

plie' dude- you sound like a jackass when you say that.

Same dude

"we should to a form clinic" says I

"well why" says he"

um because I need to work on my butt wink

<faceblank>

what for your bench?

<Facepalm me>  no- for my squat.

sigh- I still don't have work for my butt wink. I has a sad. 

What just happened.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

What just happened.

I'm not sure- other than I had a sad.

I keep reading "butt wink".  I've really got to look this up.

If you squat much- you should know about this.

Somebody needs to make this a thing.

We do chene turns in class- and it winds up being a squat turn squat turn- but a very flat back- up right- wide kind of thing- it's a prep- with a plie to do it- so it is a thing- just a different thing.

I'll work on something for you though. ;)

Yesterday at my studio- having a conversation with one of the guys who dances there- and some girl wanders over and interjects herself and says "oh yeah I used to lift heavy and stuff in college- I could squat like 480 and leg press 1200.....

I just- I wasn't even sure what to say other than to start laughing- which I did and immediately turned away from her. Being that I donate my time at the front desk and I'm a representative for the studio- I can't just mouth off to people- or be snarky.  I died inside- girl was maybe half my size- and while in moderate shape- even at peak I don't suspect she ever broke a 200 lb squat. 

Sigh- why do people lie. I don't get it.

I'm not sure- other than I had a sad.

If you squat much- you should know about this.

We do chene turns in class- and it winds up being a squat turn squat turn- but a very flat back- up right- wide kind of thing- it's a prep- with a plie to do it- so it is a thing- just a different thing.

I'll work on something for you though. ;)

Yesterday at my studio- having a conversation with one of the guys who dances there- and some girl wanders over and interjects herself and says "oh yeah I used to lift heavy and stuff in college- I could squat like 480 and leg press 1200.....

I just- I wasn't even sure what to say other than to start laughing- which I did and immediately turned away from her. Being that I donate my time at the front desk and I'm a representative for the studio- I can't just mouth off to people- or be snarky.  I died inside- girl was maybe half my size- and while in moderate shape- even at peak I don't suspect she ever broke a 200 lb squat. 

Sigh- why do people lie. I don't get it.

That was very much a Billy Bullsh**ter comment from her! Shame you couldn't call her on it!  

Also, can we have a link for Butt Wink?  Or an explanation?  I don;t want to put it into Google at work...

Also, can we have a link for Butt Wink?  Or an explanation?  I don;t want to put it into Google at work...

Don't you know, we are supposed to be psychic and automatically know things just because? :P

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

It's rounding of the lower back at the bottom of your squat and is very bad because it means your lower (lumbar) spine is flexing under load, which can lead to destroying your disks. It is also the most common form fault of the squat. It's called butt wink because, with your butt reaching back and lower back locked in slight extension, your "brown eye" should be "open". If back rounds and your hips roll under at the bottom, the "brown eye" winks.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Cheers Gainsdalf...wonder if I can ask someone at the gym to check that for  me...

Or post a form check video in that section of the forums.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Or post a form check video in that section of the forums.

Posted one today. Pretty sure I have a bad but wink going on.

Did "stripper" squat for my girlfriend yesterday to make her laugh...got a few extra singles...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That was very much a Billy Bullsh**ter comment from her! Shame you couldn't call her on it!  

yeah- I was annoyed- and wildly amused at the same time.

A few hrs later- she was out there and they were talking about squatting and she couldn't do a proper body weight squat without tipping forward at all- not sure what they were doing- but it was quiet evident she had no effing clue how to squat - much less a 400 lb squat.

Nailed it on the lumbar issue.

I've read some conflicting articulates about how it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be- I think a lot depends on how deep into the squat you get before it rounds. If you are rounding when you are hitting parallel and that's it- it's an issue- if you only have a little round at the bottom it's not a crisis (so I'm reading)

I'd rather just not be doing it- but I'm not seeing any results from my mobility stuff improving it- actually I'm getting pretty bent about squatting in generally- but that's a rant for another thread. 

• Like 1

So yesterday some idiot was doing his bench sets.   Got to the end of the 5th set and was very clearly struggling.  So of course the guy decides to go for just one more rep.  Naturally, he failed and was just laying there with the bar on his chest until some nice patron came and helped pull the bar off him.  

That idiot was me.  Quite embarrassing.  :(

• Like 5

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So yesterday some idiot was doing his bench sets. Got to the end of the 5th set and was very clearly struggling. So of course the guy decides to go for just one more rep. Naturally, he failed and was just laying there with the bar on his chest until some nice patron came and helped pull the bar off him.

That idiot was me. Quite embarrassing. :(

Learn and master the roll of shame. Though have no shame in said roll.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Is the roll of shame a right of passage in the gym perchance?  

I never felt like I fitted in here till I did my first roll

Ah, I remember my first "Oh crap!" and roll of shame....

It was last week.

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue