Forums are back in action! ×

Starting over.  I joined the Academy, started my battle log, logged food well for a week and then Boom!  Game Over.  Can't even find my thread now.

Here is what I think went wrong:

• Work got super hectic and depressing, so I started looking for a new job and then I started burning hours interviewing and preparing for interviews.
  • Winter in Auckland is not super awesome for walking, so I decided to spend 10 minutes on a stationary cycle instead.  Which was a terrible plan, the garage is dank and cold and I don't actually like cycling that much.
  • I tried to take exercise super slow, so did nothing except the stationary bike.
  • I was trying to move my sleep cycle backwards by several hours all at once (leave home at 6:30 am instead of 9:30 am)

So this time I'll do it a little differently:

• I have been in my new job for a month now and it is epic!
  • Sleep is already sorted, I go to sleep at 10:30 and get up at 6:20 most days already.
  • I have a goal for the bike now:  cycling to work.  I moved it up onto the deck so I can watch the sunrise while doing my morning bike and I want to stretch it out as prep for the 17 km cycle to work.  Auckland is a bit hilly, so I can't just jump in without prep.
  • I love playing with kettle bells, so I'm going to do a light workout with that 3 times a week to keep my enthusiasm up

For food I was trying to do intermittent fasting (no food between 8 PM and noon the next day) and keep to about a level 3 diet (from the Academy).  That was actually pretty easy to maintain, so I'll just stick with that for now.

• Like 1

If I quit now, I will soon be back where I started.  And when I started, I so desperately wanted to be where I am now. - somebody on the interwebs

Welcome back from a fellow respawner. Work is an essential part of life no doubt but when it goes wrong it really throws the rest of your life out the window too sadly, I've been there myself. Major congrats on getting an epic new job and jumping back into fitness and wellbeing! It's not always easy admitting you lost your way but the important thing is that you're back to it now!

• Like 1

Congrats on the intermittent fasting! Many have problems with that. But I have to disagree with you in one point:

6 hours ago, thesedateone said:

Winter in Auckland is not super awesome for walking

There is absolutely no reason not to walk. But if you take your bike to work, that's fantastic!

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Thanks for the support guys.

Think I'll try to be a bit more active on the forums this time around as well.  Never been much for online communities (too much of a hermit) but going it completely on my own has never worked well in the past either.

19 hours ago, Akura said:

There is absolutely no reason not to walk

Yea, you are right.  I totally wimped out. :-(

• Like 1

If I quit now, I will soon be back where I started.  And when I started, I so desperately wanted to be where I am now. - somebody on the interwebs

First week has gone really well, stuck to my exercise, recorded food and checked the forums multiple times.  If I make it to Sunday afternoon without messing up my schedule I will reward myself with a new battle log and try my hand at a bit of a narrative based quest.  I am not a fan of weekends.  I find it much easier to keep my diet on track on work days because I stay busy.  Saturdays are boring and become protracted battles of willpower to not eat all the things...

Maybe I just stick to making the same lunch I do for work and plan to eat it at 12 the same as work days.  And then burn some time cooking a nice dinner.  As long as I can stay focused on not eating outside of meal times at all things will be fine.

2 hours ago, thesedateone said:

I am not a fan of weekends.  I find it much easier to keep my diet on track on work days because I stay busy.  Saturdays are boring and become protracted battles of willpower to not eat all the things...

OMG I feel you so much on this!!!!! I work 9 hours a day in an office every weekday and my routine is pretty close to perfect these days and I've nipped at work snacking in the bud but I struggle so freakin' much on the weekends! It doesn't help that we have to do our grocery shopping on the the weekends too so there's always the temptation to buy something. 'just 1 pack of biscuits won't hurt right?' or 'I'll just get 1 big bag of crisps and eat them in moderation' (which never actually happens)

Weekends are normal life on hard mode for me at the moment haha, it's a brutal 48 hours of emotions for me haha, in a way I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lets both do our best to conquer those pesky weekends once and for all!

4 hours ago, thesedateone said:

Maybe I just stick to making the same lunch I do for work and plan to eat it at 12 the same as work days.

That's a smart idea, maintaining your work day pattern on weekends. It makes it easier to build good habits.

I have started getting out of bed at 6:00 on weekends, like I do on work days, instead of sleeping in. Clearing that initial hump of getting out of bed isn't easy, but once I do, the rest of the day is just so much better!