Forums are back in action! ×

I've spent ages trying to come up with a witty title and all I can think of is "Hi!"

Discovered this site a few weeks ago and I think it may be the first fitness site I've viewed that isn't instantly unappealing to me.

About me...

24 years old, male, six feet tall, 203lbs. Overweight, recent ex-slob, vegetarian.

Currently watching: The X-Files, Boardwalk Empire.

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemption (for the 100th time), FIFA '12.

Currently listening to: Les Savy Fav, Cloud Nothings, Earth, Yo La Tengo, ESG, The Boredoms.

Currently reading: Brave New World, The Art of Happiness.

Currently living in: South Wales.

My goals are to lose a further 15-25lb and increase my upper body strength (which is truly appalling at present), as well as eventually enjoying all the benefits of being in good shape for the first time in at least 10 years. I also want to significantly reduce my alcohol intake, partly for the physical health benefits, but also for the mental benefits as I have a history of depression and alcohol certainly plays its part in that.

Although I used to drag myself out of the house to run a couple of miles or play a bit of squash a couple of times a month, it's only in the past 8 weeks or so that I've really committed myself to exercising regularly and sorting out my diet. I've found that educating myself about fitness and nutrition has been truly eye opening, I thought common knowledge had given me a decent grounding in it but I'm starting to see how confused I have been. It wasn't very long ago that I had my "Bread makes you fat?!" realisation.

Since the new year I've been running between 4 and 10km 3-5 times a week either on the treadmill or outdoors. I know that this site is all about the superior effectiveness of resistance training over cardio but I enjoying running (even on the treadmill, sometimes) and it's been quite effective. I've lost 15lb in 8 weeks although I have now hit something of a plateau so I'm now starting to work body weight circuits into my routine as well as trying to be more mindful of what I eat.

So there's my introduction. Hi!

Red Dead was amazing! Though I'm a sucker for anything Old West themed. :P

I'm sure if you cut the carbs and alcohol you'll see gains with that alone! Mix in some Interval/Strength training and you'll definitely be able to bust through that plateau! Good luck and welcome!

|
|

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done."

"I can only be beaten in two ways: If I give up or if I die."