Forums are back in action! ×

Start & Present pictures (not Before & After - I'm not done yet!)

Please explain. I've seen below 10% posted a bunch of times around this site as where men tend to get abs, but I've also seen a bunch of pictures online of guys at higher %'s than this, up to about 15%, that have abs. I'd just like to know so I know when I can expect to see them as well as how to ballpark my BF% by the way I look so I can tell if my numbers I get form my measurements are near correct.

What I'm about to say may be construed as racially offensive to some. Please realize that it is simply empirical evidence that has significant impact on determining characteristics of different racial populations. If it makes you feel better, consider it a property of genetics and nothing else.

Simply put; someone of one racial background tend to store bodyfat differently than those of other backgrounds. The same way that you don't see men and women with similar body shapes, you also see differences in body fat patterning amongst differing ethnic backgrounds.

So what patterns can we expect to see? By far the most common amonst all populations is tire-type; a pre-disposition for storing fat outside the abdominal cavity. This is actually NOT the worst place to store fat as you'll soon see. An imbalance between ease of storage and difficult removing means that most body-fat must be removed from all other areas before this area will lean out. The only plus side is that once this is lean enough, SHOULD you start putting fat back on again, it won't necessarily go straight here. In other words, it's easier to get lean the second time (or just not get fat...).

Another one that is most commonly seen in some caucasian backgrounds is storage BEHIND the abdominal wall, aka they store excess visceral fat. This is absolutely the worst place to store fat. You can look pretty skinny and still end up with an increased incidence of diabetes due to visceral ab fat; it's a problem in Britain.

Yet another one seen in populations in or descending from Africa is gluteal storage; they get the junk in the trunk. These populations can have higher body fat %, but still look slim/have six packs because that just ain't where the fat is stored.

My knowledge of asian populations isn't quite as clear, but my best guess would be that they store fat all-body pretty well. Everyone who isn't asian should be very jealous, as they also exhibit the least amount of increased body fat storage due to aging related metabolic slowdown.

So, as I said, this is presented as empirical evidence. I can't really offer any papers or research on the subject, because frankly it's very sensitive and researchers don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

TL;DR, a lot of people get the all-mighty shaft in terms of attempting to achieve visible lean-ness in the abdominal area.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Thanks aj, makes sense.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

awesome job moose! my bf just saw your pics and was totally impressed as well. i love seeing the successes of my fellow nf-ers...in part because i love when my friends succeed but also because it makes me feel good about taking a "stranger"'s advice on the internet :) congrats, buddy!

My girlfriend is not allowed to see this picture.

Great job man!

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross