Forums are back in action! ×

Moving to Germany

It is a military move but it is also my first military move. I haven't talked to TMO (people that arrange everything) yet. Right now I am wondering if anyone has any advice out on being in Germany or overseas moves? Thanks.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

It is a military move but it is also my first military move. I haven't talked to TMO (people that arrange everything) yet. Right now I am wondering if anyone has any advice out on being in Germany or overseas moves? Thanks.

I was stationed in Germany for four years.

When I get off of work I can expound a little better, but be prepared for a culture shock and the realization that things are more expensive outside the US.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

"Sweat more in peace, so you bleed less in war."

What part are you going to? I would just ensure you document all serial numbers of major electronics as well as pictures of your items prior to TMO packing them up. Check and recheck the packing slip they give you before they leave with your items. I have lost so many items over the years to theft or damage by movers.

Are you bringing dependents? If so make sure you start the no fee passport application ASAP, they tend to take a little longer than normal passports and seem to have a tendency to be lost. Also, any exams and shots should be scheduled as soon as possible so family can fly with the sponsor instead of being in split households while orders are finalized. The orders are only given to the sponsor and the medical review must be completed before dependents are added.

There will be a culture shock but stay very open minded and you will learn to love another culture. So many people in Japan never left the bases and they seemed so depressed. They did not embrace the language, culture or people. I met a girl like that a few days in to being overseas and vowed to make the best of it. Think of your time overseas as a paid vacation.

Jediknightingale

Elf- Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Sweat is fat crying

I actually just left Berlin, Germany about two years ago. I was stationed there myself with the military. If you are going to be stationed in Berlin, I can tell you much more. I've been in the military 8 years and have done plenty of moves, at least 3 being permanent station overseas. I am in El Salvador now, actually. As far as TMO, they will come in and pack all your belongings; when you get to Germany. It may take 3 months before you receive these items, depending on how early you are sending them before your departure. So, make sure that you separate everything you are going to want with you immediately from everything that you can wait for. If you don't organize before hand, TMO might accidentally just pack something very important up and it may be a hassle to get it.

As far as being in Berlin, I had a great experience. I went to Germany knowing no German whatsoever. When I left I was more fluent in German that I was in French (not at all), which I spent 3 years studying in school. German is very similar to English and with minimal language education, I believe you can pick it up. If you are able, I would suggest only doing the Level 1 German Rosetta Stone, as this is the only thing you will need to begin learning the language. Every thing else you can learn from going in town and speaking at restaurants, to taxis, etc. In Berlin, I would say that 70-80% of Germans understand some English; but maybe less than 50% of them will actually speak to you in English, unless you speak to them in German first. I found that if I made an effort to speak German to some people, I would be surprised when they made an attempt to help me in English. The public transportation systems throughout Germany, especially in the city, is very efficient. Living in Berlin, I would never buy a vehicle because it would take you longer to reach your destination on many occasions, and it would cost you much more.

If you have any specifics or questions you would like to ask, feel free. As I said, I recently came from there; I was living there for a year.

"If you think we can't change the world, it just means you're not one of those that will." -Jacque Fresco