Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Everyone!

Figured it would be a good idea to introduce myself and get the ball rolling on my new nerd-fitness journey. My name is Tommy, I'm 22, live in England and I want to be... A STUNTMAN! I guess I'm what you could call a hardgainer - 5'7" and about 135lbs (I keep getting shouted at for being too skinny even though I'm sure this is a healthy weight). At the moment I'm doing a course in Stage Combat along with a load of different (and awesome) fun fitness stuff like Karate, Squash and Rock Climbing. I would love to train in parkour/freerunning and I even have a couple of years experience with it but there's no-one near me to train with unfortunately.

I'd like to eat 100% paleo if I could but a number of things are stopping me (eg. Money and concerned Family/Friends) and I want to start lifting HEAVY THINGS but I'm finding it difficult to fit in between the various activities I'm doing at the moment (Recovery time is important!). As for my nerd qualifications - Well lets just say I'm playing the original pokemon blue as I'm writing this :D

Anyway... It'd be great to hear from anyone with advice, suggestions or even just general chat.

Tommy

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says "I'll try again tomorrow".

-Mary Anne Radmacher

Welcome! This place is awesome.

As far as paleo, there are some things you can do...and as someone pointed out a while ago, even if you eat only 20% paleo, it's still probably 20% healthier than you were before! :D

Good luck on your journey :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Welcome Tommy! Parkour is something I've had on my list of things to do for the last year. This year it is one of my goals to do during the 6 week challenge to get started. I'm lucky here we have a gym with indoor and outdoor practice area. Wish I'd gotten involved in it at your age instead.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

Thanks for the replies guys :) good to know that parkour is alive and well on the nerdfitness forums.

@Ryan: Thanks for the offer, I should be training for the first time in a while on Sunday so I'll be giving you a shout once I've figured out what I suck at/need to work on :P Also I think some parkour tutorials would be epic! I know I'd appreciate one on proper parkour rolling technique. I never properly learned because I've mostly done low level stuff so I know that's at least one area to improve on. I like the Mayo idea :D especially since I've been pretty much blitzing a whole can's worth of tuna mayo most days for the last fortnight... YAY protein!

@BadWolf: Thanks! The activities are great but exhausting, got back from Karate earlier and I think I've only just recovered :P as for getting into parkour I've found that strength training really does help so I'd say you're definitely going the right way about getting started :) Good luck! (Also, do I detect a Dr. Who reference in your name?)

@Bumblebee4: I think it's a really great idea to include that as a goal! Hopefully once you've tried it, it will make you want to do loads more :D From my experience with parkour over the last few years I've found it to be one of the most rewarding ways to exercise (so much so that I barely see it as "exercising") As Steve says - the best way to exercise is by doing something you love. Practising in a padded training area will be the best way to build confidence and initial techniques too so you are indeed very lucky to have somewhere close. I hope it all goes well and good luck with the 6 week challenge!

@MirGSS: Thanks :) that's actually a much better way to look at it. I find diet is one of the things I struggle with most so it's great to get encouragement and support even though I know I can do better... I am a bit of an (intermittent) perfectionist so I can get annoyed if I'm not doing the best I can. Comments like that help put it all in perspective lol. The whole outlook of Nerdfitness is really supportive and that's waaaaay better than the competitive ethos I've seen in some places. Good luck with your own journey, it'll be great seeing how much we can all improve!

Anyway, as I'm sure you've all noticed - my posts can sometimes get a bit LONG so I'm going to be quiet now :P

Thanks for all the replies and good luck with all your goals!

I think I'm going to like it here...

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says "I'll try again tomorrow".

-Mary Anne Radmacher