Forums are back in action! ×

I need your advice, Rebel Army!

Not to sound cliche...Ah, fel with it--To sound cliche...You guys are my only hope!

I reallyreallyreally want to do this: http://runforyourlives.com/locations/boston-massachusetts/

What is it, if you're link phobic: A 5k obstacle course with hordes of undead chasing you. You have two flags. Goal? Survive the obstacle course and finish the race with at least one flag intact.

Problem:

I'm uh...Not exactly in shape. Okay, I'm totally not in shape. I dread running like you wouldn't believe. I'd love to work on weight training. I try to avoid grains/pastas but due to living with others that's sometimes not possible. (Limited funds, I eat what they cook for the most part.)

What can I do to get to the point where I can run a 5k/and do the obstacle course...Before the deadline of 5/5/2012? I'm a college student with access to a free gym on my campus with weights/cardio/etc.

I'd love any input you guys have!!

Guest Snake McClain

Here is my advice. It may suck, but it's mine and I'll throw it out there.

First regarding food. just eat as good as you can as often as you can. It may not be the best scenario for you to eat 100% clean all the time so maybe just eat as clean as possible as much as possible.

second. You want to strength train? DO IT! It won't hurt you as a runner unless you become some behemoth. Just strength train and it will help condition you for long distance and speed. then slowly work your way into running longer distances. or do tabatas for more than four minutes.

maybe this advice sucks but it's what i would do.

thrid. RUN! don't like running long distances at first? DONT! Run sprints. Tabata sprints (nerd fitness blog has an article on it). Doesn't take much time but it conditions you

Nothing wrong with strength training as a runner. C25K is the best way to get yourself in 5k shape without burning yourself out/hurting yourself, IMHO.

OR if you really don't want to run, be a zombie! You can be a shambling zombie and try to eat people's brains while they're trying to complete the race.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Running will be the most important for building up your endurance to do a run like that. Proper diet will help you maintain proper energy levels so you can run. And lifting will help you retain muscle mass and strength while you do these things. But for someone who is not a runner, I would say the first one is the most important. And C25K is one of the better-known programs out there; I know several people who have had success with it. :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I'm gonna be signing up for this, too! But the one in Maryland, haha. Any advice for the obstacles and such? I guess mostly work on boydstrength workouts and such, right? That'd probably be the most useful, I'd think.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

- Philipians 4:13

AWESOME TEAM OF FLYING MONGOOSES!

Jump Rope Challenge: 800

Bruce got it right. I was already in pretty good shape to begin with, but I dropped my mile time (and probably my 5k time, but I don't have a before benchmark) with nothing but weightlifting, bodyweight conditioning, and sprinting. Especially when you're starting out, find a couple of buddies (maybe some fellow racers?) to work out with and have some fun.

One of my favorite workouts is a combo hill sprint/bodyweight circuit. Sprint up and down the hill, and perform a set (10-12 reps) of a bodyweight exercises (alternate between pushups, squats, burpees, jumping jacks, etc). Take a sec to catch your breath, and repeat. Aim to get to about 8-12 sets.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.