Forums are back in action! ×

Back To School

So back in January, I got laid off, partly due to massive lack of work at my company, and partly due to... well, fucking up more times and the others in my department, which was why they picked me. 70 other people got laid off in waves over the next few months, according to my old boss that I keep in vague touch with.

I've applied for every job in my field in the area, within a two hour radius (and every job within an eight hour radius that would accept me working there for five days and coming home on the weekends). Nothing. There is really not a lot of work for someone with my qualifications, which is a little depressing. Thank you very much, global economy grrrrrrrrr.

I'm on a very thin line for two jobs in town, who may hire me in the coming months if work picks up. Not very helpful.

However... there is a course being offered at the local OKC Campus, and an even better course being offered by distance education from TRU. They are three year courses, HOWEVER my previous diploma (six credits shy of an associates degree) counts for almost the entire first two years of both of those courses. Being on EI there's numerous grants and bursaries available to me, especially given my track record (I have been gainfully employed for over eight straight years in my field, rrrrrright up until past January), so I could get a lot of it paid for. Taking those courses, I could apply for construction management, project management and construction estimation jobs, of which there are NUMEROUS job openings in the area, that pay nearly double what I was making before.

So... I think I might be going back to school. I got a meeting tomorrow to look into it.

And if I do... then I get from now until September with no job, no school, decent EI benefits and an entire summer with all three of my kids in a beautiful town in the Okanagan only eight blocks from the beach, and I want to look good for this one.

Wish me luck!

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

That's awesome! I'm glad it all seems to be working out so that you can do this - Lord knows how much those scholarships and such come in handy when it comes to paying for education (most expensive thing in the world, I swear). And a fun summer with the kids! Double yay!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

- Philipians 4:13

AWESOME TEAM OF FLYING MONGOOSES!

Jump Rope Challenge: 800

Honestly, it sounds like a great plan -- additional skills (or at least the degree/certification to match the skills you already have) for low cost, and the ability to earn more of an income in the future? I say go for it, and rejoice in it.

Have fun!

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom