Forums are back in action! ×

Wanting to Lose Fat and Wanting to gain Strength

My husband and I have been lifting weights for about a year now. We aren't making a lot of progress and I have lost some fat, but not a lot. We are switching to a Paleo-keto diet to see if that helps me lose the fat and we are going to be studying more about power lifting (I would LOVE to be able to lift 300+lbs like Staci!)

I am noticing the withdrawal symptoms of diving into Paleo. Should I just tough it out or should I be slowly removing the grains/carbs from my diet instead? I read that it can take 1-3 weeks to get through this "phase" and then I am supposed to feel awesome. I really hope that is true!

THRILLED to DEATH about the Strength Training for Women book that is being worked on. Does anyone have an idea when that will come out?

Also could someone point me to where Staci's/Stezzy's has been tracking her weight lifting (especially older tracking...she is a stud now and I can't just dive in at her level... I need to learn how she worked up to where she is at).

Also, can you weight lift everyday? I thought that muscles needed rest (some people have told me you just alternate muscles, but I don't know how to do that when all I do is squats, deadlifts, and bench press). Do Protein shakes make this possible?

Thanks!!

Ready to get fit and strong!

My husband and I have been lifting weights for about a year now. We aren't making a lot of progress and I have lost some fat, but not a lot. We are switching to a Paleo-keto diet to see if that helps me lose the fat and we are going to be studying more about power lifting (I would LOVE to be able to lift 300+lbs like Staci!)

I am noticing the withdrawal symptoms of diving into Paleo. Should I just tough it out or should I be slowly removing the grains/carbs from my diet instead? I read that it can take 1-3 weeks to get through this "phase" and then I am supposed to feel awesome. I really hope that is true!

It's true, it's called the low carb flu. It varies in length for people from a few days to a couple of weeks. After you adjust you'll be good.

THRILLED to DEATH about the Strength Training for Women book that is being worked on. Does anyone have an idea when that will come out?

Spezzy would have an idea, but she's being mum on the subject :)

Also could someone point me to where Staci's/Stezzy's has been tracking her weight lifting (especially older tracking...she is a stud now and I can't just dive in at her level... I need to learn how she worked up to where she is at).

Here are links to her old battle logs:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?846-spezzy-s-workout-log

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?6737-spezzy-s-log

Although I know she has more detailed notes in her challenge threads.....I think

Also, can you weight lift everyday? I thought that muscles needed rest (some people have told me you just alternate muscles, but I don't know how to do that when all I do is squats, deadlifts, and bench press). Do Protein shakes make this possible?

Thanks!!

At a certain level yes you can lift almost every day. Protein shakes help a little with recovery but not as much as one would expect. If you aren't an advanced lifter I'd stick to an every other day kind of thing. For now.

If you need some resources for power lifting look for Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. That is quite possibly the best book out there. Many on NF follow the program and have made huge strides with it (for example me: I went from not being able to dead lift or squat the empty bar to doing more than my body weight in both in about 6months). It's a dead simple program but the book also goes in detail on form which is very important.

Anyways, welcome! if you have questions feel free to ask!

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Personally, I lift 3 days a week, and I do alternate workouts so I am not doing the same thing all the time.

I'm using New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I like it quite a bit. However, I have not investigated any of Rippetoe's stuff; I plan to once I am done with New Rules.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the short post...I am on my nook :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks!!

If you need some resources for power lifting look for Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. That is quite possibly the best book out there. Many on NF follow the program and have made huge strides with it (for example me: I went from not being able to dead lift or squat the empty bar to doing more than my body weight in both in about 6months). It's a dead simple program but the book also goes in detail on form which is very important.

My husband bought that book about a year ago and it is how I actually let him convince me to start weight training because I was terrified of having bad form. It is a great book :)

At a certain level yes you can lift almost every day. Protein shakes help a little with recovery but not as much as one would expect. If you aren't an advanced lifter I'd stick to an every other day kind of thing. For now.

Anyways, welcome! if you have questions feel free to ask!

I also recommend Basic Barbell Training by Rippetoe. It's a great book. Actually, is in my gym bag now for lunchtime reading.

I work out pretty much everyday but I rotate heavy lifting. Other days I do functional fitness stuff, body weight stuff, HIIT, yoga, etc. I like to change it up a lot. Plus, I believe some movement the next day is good for you but I like a different movement. For example, if I do weighted squats, I don't do a ton of body squats the next day but might HIIT on the bike so it's still hip flexers and legs, but in a different way.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Welcome! I say tough it out with carb flu, you'll be amazed that within a week or so not only is it gone but you probably won't crave those foods.

Thanks BigM for posting those links, I've been curious myself but hadn't done any digging yet!!!

....This is completely random, but I saw your picture and thought, "Awww she looks like my kinda hippie, I wish she lived here (Minnesota) but I bet she's in Colorado" and then saw yup, you're in Colorado ha! I might've seen that without realizing I'd already read it, but I love Colorado and everyone I've met there, and all the peeps I meet here that I love move there or are from there.... and your picture has that vibe :)

....This is completely random, but I saw your picture and thought, "Awww she looks like my kinda hippie, I wish she lived here (Minnesota) but I bet she's in Colorado" and then saw yup, you're in Colorado ha! I might've seen that without realizing I'd already read it, but I love Colorado and everyone I've met there, and all the peeps I meet here that I love move there or are from there.... and your picture has that vibe :)

That is with my niece on an elephant at the Reinassance fair :) I am addicted to those loose, breathable dresses (really qualified as a beach wrap) in the summer times and no place like the Reinassance fair to wear what I want! :D