Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie who's (kinda) struggling

Hey all!

Been reading NF for a while now and thought I'd delve into the community as you all seem quite nice!

I'm 34, live in the UK and last year I realised I needed to get in shape. Got from 220lbs down to 180 by Xmas and am now bulking up. I've gone paleo, packed on 11lbs of muscle since chrimbo which I'm pretty proud of but now I need help!

See I've still got this spare tyre! It's definitely a bicycle tyre rather than the car tyre it was a year ago but I just can't seem to shift the damn thing!

I've dropped cardio and am doing circuits atm which I'm enjoying immensely but does anyone have any tips/advice for getting rid of this last bit of fat? Going on hols in a few months and want to look awesome!

Wow, congratulations and welcome!!

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of the excess fat is through a calorie deficit - and there's no guarantee that the fat will come off your midsection before coming off other places. You can create a calorie deficit either through eating less (less than your TDEE), or continuing to eat as you are and re-introducing cardio (while keeping up your strength training to preserve muscle mass).

Good luck..and again, congrats on your progress so far! I'm impressed :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks for the tip!

Should have mentioned that I only ditched the cardio a few weeks ago, and with the circuits I'm doing I'm completely out of breath and sweating like a crazy, so I'm definitely burning some calories and raising the old heart rate! Also, I'm still doing a little running at the weekend.

Gonna try Intermittent fasting I think. Been mulling over it for some time and while I do find it pretty intimidating (I <3 food!) I'm willing to try!

Anyone tried IF? Any advice/tips? Think I'll start off with a less structured approach and basically not eat until I'm proper hungry.

Thanks kat

Think I've had one alcoholic drink since new years! I eat natural greek yoghurt pretty much daily (which I only started a month or so ago as before that I was under the misguided impression that ALL dairy was BAAAAAD), teeny amounts of butter in cooking and I've maybe drunk a couple pints (Full fat) milk this year.

Sometimes you will hit a plateau... Or so I have heard. katscratch suggested trying to change up dietary elements. Sometimes this can help jumpstart your metabolism. As MirGSS stated, however, the only tried-and-true method is burning more calories than you consume. Maybe try adding an inter mural sport or something similar so that it's a social activity as well as additional exercise?

Kelleytastic
queen of my own quixotic universe. harbinger of awesome.geek. hard act to follow.

Mountain Dwarf
Adventurer
Level One

STR: 2
DEX: 1
STA: 1
CON: 3
WIS: 4
CHA: 3

Questing soon in a challenge near you...