Forums are back in action! ×

Bulgarian split squats - what's a good barbell weight

Trainer had me doing Bulgarian split squats with a barbell last night.

Am female @ 160# currently and wondering what a good weight is for these? I was up to 90lbs last night.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

You know, I had never thought of doing this with a barbell. So simple. So excellent. Though, the videos I just watched.. one of the guys was having serious trouble getting his foot on the bench. That's a little scary. ANYHOW...

As I've never done this with a bar bell I will give you my generic advice for all weight bearing exercise: as much as you can do with good form. This will depend on how many SetsXReps you're doing, obviously. It should be challenging but not dangerously so. Meaning, you shouldn't struggle for form each rep.

Also, not knowing your stats (weightlifting goddess? weightlifting padawan?) or your program I'll just say that if you're closer to padawan than goddess and this is a new exercise you could benefit from starting low, working the movement and adding weight each time you successfully complete your desire set of reps (aka the linear progression). If you're closer to goddess.. well... I'm not so I'll default to someone else :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Trainer had me doing Bulgarian split squats with a barbell last night.

Am female @ 160# currently and wondering what a good weight is for these? I was up to 90lbs last night.

I don't even know how you'd do this. Is it basically a back squat on one leg? If you're up to 90, that's a good number. When it gets too light, go up, but bear this in mind:

A bulgarian squat is not an exercise for massive weight. it's designed for high reps. If you can do it with 90 pounds, do pistols instead. They're harder. You don't need to add weight till you can't increase the bodyweight difficulty enough. Actually, going straight to pistols night be hard, but some single leg box squats might help as a crossover.

The bulgarian is not, IMO, just a harder version of a regular back squat. that's what adding weight to the squat is for.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I don't even know how you'd do this. Is it basically a back squat on one leg? If you're up to 90, that's a good number. When it gets too light, go up, but bear this in mind:

A bulgarian squat is not an exercise for massive weight. it's designed for high reps. If you can do it with 90 pounds, do pistols instead. They're harder. You don't need to add weight till you can't increase the bodyweight difficulty enough. Actually, going straight to pistols night be hard, but some single leg box squats might help as a crossover.

The bulgarian is not, IMO, just a harder version of a regular back squat. that's what adding weight to the squat is for.

Yes, just a backward lunge (basically). Pistols are a great idea! Thanks!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Bulgarians to me are more of a lunge type movement than a squat type movement. Balancing a bulgarian with a barbel would seem to be precarius, dumbbells have the advantage of being a great balance assistant.

I've done Bulgarians goblet-style as part of a circuit, but it's not a great exercise to add huge amounts of weight to. It is a good joint integrity/balance exercise, but I wouldn't rely on it for building raw strength. Stick with regular barbell squats if you want to see some high numbers.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I always wondered why they call it squat when it's quite lunge like.

I'm confused.. did someone say it is? Is this another crazy trainer thing? I hope not.. yikes.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!