Forums are back in action! ×

Best Vibram Side Effect, EVER

So I have huge feet (13's in women's sizes!) and they are really hard to find lady-shoes for. Like, special ordering from brazil kind of hard, sometimes. Folks said, when I started wearing vibrams, that my feet may 'spread' because of barefootness, blahblahblah. Long thing short, went shoe shopping and I am almost TWO SIZES SMALLER. (11.5's!) Turns out a strong arch shortens up the foot? THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER! AND I DON'T KNOW ANYBODY ELSE THAT WILL APPRECIATE THIS!!!

That is awesome. I need to wear my vibrams more, get smaller feet, and then when I shop for shoes I won't be stuck in the most common size ever that always sells out, I will be a bit smaller.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I agree with the arch strengthening - plus I'm with you on shoe insanity - I have always had a freakishly WIDE foot - which in women's shoes especially is a recipe for never being able to wear anything attractive. I discovered the same thing with Vibrams - not only will your strong arches shorten your foot, but the bunions I developed from years of stuffing my size 8D Barney Rubble frog feet into women's shoes have almost completely vanished, plus I find I'm not struggling to find shoes in my width anymore - I can now comfortably wear a standard 7.5B as long as it's not one of the notoriously "narrow" brands (Nike and Aigner, I'm looking at you!). I no longer have to pass up pretty pumps because to get the right width, they end up being "flip flops" that slide off my heel from being too long.

So it seems like you, I've found that my feet have actually "shrunk" from Vibram wear as a result of increased arch strength. People who talk about foot spread have absolutely no clue what they're talking about IMO.

Woot!

This thread makes me want to get a pair. I have very flat feet, and they're really wide. After reading the Vibrams website a bit, I do think my foot health isn't so great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

if you do get a pair take to running in them ridiculously slowly i thought i was going fairy slowly (from nothing to 2 loads of 2.5 miles a week) and i've now got a minor stress fracture in the middle metatarsal of my right foot and i tweaked a stabilising muscle in the back of my left knee... still the most comfy shoes i've ever worn though (and big gravel gives foot massages! other gravel is also very soft :))

I am mega impressed with this thread. I had plantar fascitis, which got a bit better with orthotics, then I got really weak feet. Started wearing wide enough, flat shoes, no orthotics and things improved, but my feet DID spread and get flatter - I put it down to the shape my feet need to be to support me (heavy that I am). Wore very good quality (flat) insoles to prevent concussive pain and hey presto, feet are pain free - its absolute bliss. Now for the vibrams to get out and about "barefoot", and if it helps my arch develop and raise, they wow, great!

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard

I get angry just looking at the silly things, but this thread has made me think that maybe I should give them a second chance, especially if they *might* be able to help make my wide ol' feet a bit more narrow...This could also be potentially really great for the hubster as he has big, flat, wide feet AND plantar fasciitis. Oh yes, and a big yay for smaller feet, y'all!!

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Hooray! And yes, I always tell people who have "flat feet" (not that you do/did) that they just need more strength in their foot.

Huge congrats. Happy for you!

I have really flat feet and my doctor has always told me the fix would be life time orthotics. Bah. I was never told about strengthening them. How does someone strengthen their feet to make them no longer flat?

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

For those who want to try vibrams without the "silly" individual toes...merrell makes a vibram sole minimalist shoe that offers a nice alternative while still giving the benefits.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

For those who want to try vibrams without the "silly" individual toes...merrell makes a vibram sole minimalist shoe that offers a nice alternative while still giving the benefits.

Hmm, I would say the Merrells have their benefits, but the fit and feel is completely different. I would even say the Vibrams have benefits Merrells do not.

Just as a note - feet are still wide' date=' just not as long! So it won't fix the wide problem... just make things a bit shorter. :)[/quote']

Well that's a bummer. But, all this does have me really thinking about foot health... I'm pretty sure I'll have a pair in my future. And I'll be doing more barefoot walking in the meantime.

Side note- I have noticed my feet getting a lot stronger since I started doing yoga. I suppose the barefootness has something to do with that...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

The hippie in me says to you "you should examine where that anger comes from."

Possibly jealousy that I don't have such dorky looking shoes (kidding!)...or most likely because I know someone who wears them and is a douche about it so I transfer those frustrations onto the innocuous footwear rather than the irritating wearer. :)

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Hmm, I would say the Merrells have their benefits, but the fit and feel is completely different. I would even say the Vibrams have benefits Merrells do not.

Could you elaborate. I'll probably get a pair; right now I'm leaning toward the Merrells.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I have two pairs of the new Merrell barefoot line, one pair for work, one is more of a traditional looking running style. True, not as great as vibrams, but they are way different than traditional. It would be a step (heh) in the right direction at least. I can't get away with my vibrams at work M-T, only on fridays. That and they look funny with slacks. I ended up with these.

For everyday. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

For work. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22879W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Train-Pure-Glove?dimensions=0

The soles are very thin and flexible like vibrams, and the toe area is nice and wide so you have toe movement in them. It was the closest thing to the FiveFingers that I could get away with.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

Could you elaborate. I'll probably get a pair; right now I'm leaning toward the Merrells.

Simply put... you feel more barefoot in Vibrams.

I have the merrells and I love them. I'm using them as a stepping stone to full vibrams

Perfect.

I have two pairs of the new Merrell barefoot line, one pair for work, one is more of a traditional looking running style. True, not as great as vibrams, but they are way different than traditional. It would be a step (heh) in the right direction at least. I can't get away with my vibrams at work M-T, only on fridays. That and they look funny with slacks. I ended up with these.

For everyday. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

For work. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22879W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Train-Pure-Glove?dimensions=0

The soles are very thin and flexible like vibrams, and the toe area is nice and wide so you have toe movement in them. It was the closest thing to the FiveFingers that I could get away with.

That's awesome. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to wear Vibrams to work, though I don't everyday. Other days I wear my slim chucks.