Forums are back in action! ×

How do I start fresh

Hey Everyone

I'm James, I'm new to the forums but i've been reading the NF articles and news for about a year. A few years ago I set myself a goal of getting fit, losing weight, and overall being more productive, and I succeeded. Unfortunately since then, 2 and a half years later, I'm back where i started (if not worse). I'm gained a significant amount of weight, and I am hopelessly unfit. I've tried many times to get into new, better habits, but they tend not to last longer than a week before some terrible excuse (studying, hungover, work, etc.) gets in the way and stops progress. I have little motivation anymore, and very little energy. I'm a student in final year at uni, so a normal day mostly consists of being stuck in front of a laptop for hours, only to relax in a similar way later. I make all my own meals, but they are pretty carb heavy. My exercise at the moment consists of the (very) occasional run, which I hate, and walking to and from campus each day.

I've realised my mistakes from before were expecting results far too soon and, and trying to change far too many habits at a time. I'm trying to come up with a new plan, making small changes week by week, but I struggling to work anything out. I can't afford a gym membership, but I own weights. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone starting out fresh, with the aim to lose weight, eat healthy, and generally achieve a healthier lifestyle?

P.S. I'm sorry if this is all a little vague, but i really have no idea what I'm doing!

"I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm doing it really, really well" - Andy Dwyer

Maybe find some inspiration from this article: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/why-having-to-start-over-again-is-great/

University studies are hard, so it's no wonder that you struggle - I'm going through the same thing myself :D I think the most important part is to remember, why you're doing this: for your health and well-being. I'm currently working on self-love and accepting my body as it is so that I can truly start working with my body instead of against it. Try focus on getting your head back in the game: you know what must be done, but now you just need to find your will to do it. Good luck! ;)

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

It sounds like you haven't found any sort of workout that you actually like yet. Your workout is supposed to be something you really enjoy, and secondarily it makes you healthy. If you hate running, try lifting. If not that, then parkour. Or dance, yoga, martial arts, etc. Give yourself a challenge to do one new exercise a week until you find one that makes you want to try it again the week after.

Good luck!!

Base Character: Elantrian

Class/ Profession: Druid

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log Whole30