Forums are back in action! ×

Video games are my favorite thing ever. At 36 years of age, I'm finally going to attempt to control the amount of time I spend on them. I recently posted on the Academy Facebook group that I'm just going to give all my games away. I've decided I can still enjoy games if I schedule it out a certain way. (Don't worry, people who made their claims will receive their Christmas presents. I've already sent them out.) So this is my plan.

Batched Gaming

January through November: NO GAMES. Let's just see what I elect to use the time on when video games are not an option.

December: ONE YEAR OF GAMING COMPRESSED INTO ONE MONTH.

So I'll be really playing a lot during the holidays. 2017's already got some games on the list yo! FF12 HD, Dragon Quest XI, perhaps a little Mini NES Classic (if I can get one), Perhaps something from the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary collection. It's going to be a lot of gaming in December and I think this will work well because the alternative is spending a couple hours each night and a lot of time on weekends playing games. I really want to use that time to work on my career.

• Like 1

Man, I am going out of my mind to play some games at night before bed. I guess that is a sign that I actually really needed to do this. I packed up the PS3 and deleted all the games off my PS4 since I want to leave it hooked up so my daughter can watch the occasional video on it. The good news is, I've so far spent the time on reading Nerd Fitness articles or working on my musical project. I just gotta make to December.

On 12/20/2016 at 3:54 PM, The Legendary Zoltan said:

I recently posted on the Academy Facebook group

Hey, Zoltan, hope you are still fighting the good fight! 

Question: I'm thinking about joining the Nerd Fitness Academy. Have you found it to be helpful? Anything I should know in advance?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

3 hours ago, Mahalak said:

Hey, Zoltan, hope you are still fighting the good fight! 

Question: I'm thinking about joining the Nerd Fitness Academy. Have you found it to be helpful? Anything I should know in advance?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm still fighting, Mahalak. Thanks.

About joining the academy I can tell you that I think it's good. It's a one-time fee which makes it well worth the price. I started a long time ago and was going in and out of keeping on track with it. You'll get emails each week and each one contains about 4 missions for you to complete. If you get behind it can feel overwhelming. But there is a page with all the past emails if you happened to delete them, so just go at your own pace. That said, the best pace is probably the academy's default pace. It's really hard for me to keep up with it because baby and job and reasons. Hahaha. They have LOTS of useful information in the library section of the academy. About the paleo diet, how to lift correctly, etc. I don't know what specific advice to give. Do you have any questions?

I get "baby and job and reasons" - even if my babies are now in their 20s! Thanks for the input. I guess the only specific question concerns the Facebook presence. I'm wasn't really a FB guy, but became one because of the aforementioned "babies." One of the things I really want to find is a sense of community in this. I'm tired of going solo (clink of glasses to George Michael).

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado