Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Baldilocks.  Found this site trying to find out about the Paleo diet.  I'm 5'9" and 200 lbs.  Probably need to see a doctor before I start weight lifting.  In the mean time I plan on biking, skating and possibly sprinting.  (looks like I'll start out as a scout) It really was great timing, because I just started my employer's new wellness program and need to level up.  Also, I'll be turning 50 next month and was planning on doing what I can to try and live till 90.  This community looks like a perfect match my newly renewed health quest.    

• Like 1

Hey! Welcome on board!

Have you found your way around the forum ok? If you have any questions then please ask, I will answer what I can and provide you with links to info about the stuff I can't help with. 

Have you started working on making changes to your diet yet? Some people have success with jumping straight in, going cold turkey and never eat another grain or piece of cheese in their life, but I think they must be the exception  rather than the rule. I advocate making small changes and working on making each small change stick permanently before trying to change anything else. The 4 Week Challenges are perfect for doing this. 

I wrote a fair bit about the challenges with links to further resources in another intro thread, you can read it Here if you're interested. It's too much to write out again, lol!

Im a Brit so the whole 200lbs thing goes over my head a bit, I don't know how much that is and it's too late (well, early actually. It's 4am and I can't sleep) for me to do mental maths and convert it to stone. But I'm assuming that it means you're overweight (mostly because of the doctor thingy) so I was going to suggest that you try adding in walking to your list of exercises. 

People DO NOT appreciate how beneficial walking is for their health, and if you're overweight/unfit then it's a lot easier on you (and your body!) than sprinting. Remember that walking a mile burns the same calories as running a mile does and running is HELL. For me at least. :D 

Here is a list of the health benefits of walking if you're interested but if running is your thing then that's obviously the route to go. It just means that you're crazy! :P 

Anyways, I wish you well with your journey and if I can help at all then let me know. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

@Guzzi it's 14.3 stone, at least according to google

• Like 1

"Nothing lasts forever." ~Natasha Romanoff~

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." ~Thranduil~

"No matter who we are, no matter what our circumstances, our feelings and emotions are universal. And music has always been a great way to make people aware of that connection. It can help you open up a part of yourself and express feelings you didn't know you were feeling. It's risky to let that happen. But it's a risk you have to take-- because only then will you find you're not alone." ~Josh Groban~

"Those who are the happiest, never did have everything. But rather they are thankful for everything they do have." ~Anonymous~

Thanks, 

I am kinda struggling with the forum.  Can I make my own 4 week challenge or do I just do one's that are posted? (I haven't read your link yet, but I will).  Haven't made any changes yet.  Giving up bread and such will be very hard for me and my wife and kids are awesome cooks.  The two P's are my favorite. (Pizza and Pasta)  The whole doctor thing is that I may have a herniated umbilical cord.  That's why I can't start lifting now.  I need to get a Doctor and at least go in for a yearly physical.  I am overweight but I carry it pretty well.  I like biking, Ice skating and rollerblading.  Being able to go fast make's the exercising enjoyable for me.  I value sprinting as a exercise.  I feel I get better results than jogging.  I'm on vacation/holiday this week, but I may start biking to work depending on how icy the roads are.  The plan is to take it easy on the way to work and push myself on the way home.   Thanks again.  It's good to know there are others on the same journey.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheRealBlackWidow said:

@Guzzi it's 14.3 stone, at least according to google

Why thank you!  :) 

3 hours ago, Baldilocks said:

Thanks, 

I am kinda struggling with the forum.  Can I make my own 4 week challenge or do I just do one's that are posted? (I haven't read your link yet, but I will).  

It's best to keep the same schedule as everyone else purely so that you have the support and encouragement of other people who are doing the challenge alongside you. The next challenge starts on the 8th of January but there's nothing wrong with starting early. ;) 

There is usually a weeks break between challenges which some people call "Zero Week" and just treat it as the start of the next challenge, going from challenge to challenge without a break. 

The idea of the challenges is to pick three main goals, it's suggested that these are diet/fitness goals, and one bonus goal which would be a Level up Your Life (or LUYL if you like acronyms) goal. 

You get to pick whatever you want as your goals but be warned, the most common mistake people make in their first challenge is that they make their goals too big. That usually leads to failure and then to feeling like a failure. The best goals are the ones that seem too small, too insignificant. They're the ones that you can do for a full 4 weeks, by which time they've pretty much become habit, which is the whole point. You keep going, making small, easy changes, and at some point you look back and "FUCK ME!" You've lost X pounds, you're fitter, faster, stronger, leaner. It all happens by increments but because it's incremental you never really noticed it happening at all. 

Here's one of Steve's old posts on the subject. ;) 

Haven't made any changes yet.  Giving up bread and such will be very hard for me and my wife and kids are awesome cooks.  The two P's are my favorite. (Pizza and Pasta)

Yup! Simple carbs are the hardest to give up. They're actually addictive, releasing the same chemicals in the brain as drugs do. If you think you can go cold turkey on them then fair play, but don't feel bad about choosing to cut down on them slowly either. It's horses for courses. 

You might find This article about "low carb flu" interesting. It explains all the carb withdrawal symptoms that people suffer when they suddenly switch to a low-carb or paleo diet. 

The whole doctor thing is that I may have a herniated umbilical cord.  That's why I can't start lifting now.  I need to get a Doctor and at least go in for a yearly physical.  I am overweight but I carry it pretty well.  

Ah, that explains it. I didn't think 200lbs was that much for a man. 

I like biking, Ice skating and rollerblading.  Being able to go fast make's the exercising enjoyable for me.  I value sprinting as a exercise.  I feel I get better results than jogging.  

If that works for you then go for it. There's a lot of people on here who lift weights (and it's very beneficial for you) but please don't ever feel that you need to do any exercise that you don't enjoy. Exercise isn't work if it's fun, but man is it a PITA if it's something you don't like. :D 

I'm on vacation/holiday this week, but I may start biking to work depending on how icy the roads are.  The plan is to take it easy on the way to work and push myself on the way home.   

Just stay safe bro, the roads are dangerous at this time of year. Dear God, I sound like your mother now! "Remember to wrap up warm too." Hahaha! ;) 

Thanks again.  It's good to know there are others on the same journey.  

Dont sweat it. Sorry if I've bombarded you with too much information, but please, ask as many questions as you want. You can always come back to your intro thread and read stuff again further down the line one you've found your feet a little (there's a section on your profile that lets you see all the threads you've started). 

And yeah, one of the best things about this community is the way we all support each other without judgement.  Even the most buff dude on here will still offer advice, support and encouragement to an obese member. 

I hope you stick around to see for yourself. ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Ah, that explains it. I didn't think 200lbs was that much for a man. 

Based on the charts, I could use to lose 30 or 40 pounds.  Hey, thanks for the link.  That was very helpful concerning the challenges.  

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Just stay safe bro, the roads are dangerous at this time of year. Dear God, I sound like your mother now! "Remember to wrap up warm too." Hahaha! ;) 

That is one reason I prefer a mountain bike.  (Besides the fact I'd rather be in the woods.)  I prefer the go over and thru anything style of riding compared to the go as fast as I can and only be in the street method. (I do like going fast though) As far as staying warm.  I've spent almost all of my winters (since childhood) at the local out door ice rink, which very sadly got shut down last year. :apologetic:  Oh well, it will be OK, EVENTUALLY...  Thanks again for all the help.