Forums are back in action! ×

Computer geek and food-lover (perhaps doomed)

So as the title suggests, I'm a computer geek who loves food. I'll forego asking whether I'm doomed, because I'm sure the answer would be emphatic in the negative.

Having said that, what can I do to get in shape without feeling miserable? I know I need to eat healthier, but how can I transition to a better diet without feeling like I'm cutting a major source of enjoyment out of my life?

As for exercise, I'm having a hard time finding time (or, if you prefer, "making it a priority") to work out because my job, my wife, and my kids are my priority and leave little time for myself. When the kids aren't requiring my time, they're usually restricting it (e.g. the baby's taking a nap so I can't make noise).

I came to know about Nerd Fitness just before my daughter was born seven months ago. I started quests, practiced guitar regular for the first time in more than a decade, exercised at least twice a week, etc. I haven't touched my quests or even looked at them in about four months...

So how can I make diet and exercise (among other things I want to work on) into something I do, rather than just something I think about and feel bad?

Instead of focusing on what you can't eat, focus on what you can eat. Try cooking veggies different ways until you find some ways you really like, and incorporate more of them into your life. Slow down when you are eating, and really do savor and enjoy it. Then when you feel full and are no longer enjoying it as much,stop.

I love food too, so I hear you. But I actually enjoy it even more now that I am stopping and paying attention. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 30/12/2016 at 0:06 AM, Kaban Teni said:

So as the title suggests, I'm a computer geek who loves food. I'll forego asking whether I'm doomed, because I'm sure the answer would be emphatic in the negative.

Having said that, what can I do to get in shape without feeling miserable? I know I need to eat healthier, but how can I transition to a better diet without feeling like I'm cutting a major source of enjoyment out of my life?

Im a food lover too but just like @Elastigirl I've found a greater love of food now that I actually pay attention to what I eat. Before I was a bit mindless in my eating and I ate a lot of crap, but good, healthy food is really, really good! You don't need to be living on low-fat, bland, "diet" food to lose weight. I'd suggest buying a couple of good cookbooks following some food blogs, check these out for some inspiration.

On 30/12/2016 at 0:06 AM, Kaban Teni said:

As for exercise, I'm having a hard time finding time (or, if you prefer, "making it a priority") to work out because my job, my wife, and my kids are my priority and leave little time for myself. When the kids aren't requiring my time, they're usually restricting it (e.g. the baby's taking a nap so I can't make noise).

I came to know about Nerd Fitness just before my daughter was born seven months ago. I started quests, practiced guitar regular for the first time in more than a decade, exercised at least twice a week, etc. I haven't touched my quests or even looked at them in about four months...

So how can I make diet and exercise (among other things I want to work on) into something I do, rather than just something I think about and feel bad?

Its tough, huh? There's never enough hours in the day when you have young children. Do you have older children or is it just the baby? I'm just thinking that you could possibly get the kids involved and use them as your exercise. It's amazing how many calories you burn when you get active with the kids, and it has a bonus - the kids LOVE playing with dad. 

I would suggest taking a good, hard look at your lifestyle and see if there is anywhere that you could realistically improve. Most of us spend hours in front of the tv or on the internet every day, doing nothing. If we utilised those hours to do something that we enjoy, whether that means exercise, study, music practice, anything, then we would be able to achieve much more

Id also suggest trying to build extra movement into your daily routine. Using the stairs instead of the lift, gut up and walk instead of picking up the phone when you need to speak to a colleague, park at the far end of the car park instead of near the front door.

My other advice would be not to underestimate the benefits of walking. Going to the gym involves getting stuff ready, driving there, getting sweaty and needing a shower, not to mention that there's OTHER PEOPLE there! :hopelessness:  But there's no prep or hassle just to step outside and go for a walk. 

I hopesome of if this is helpful to you. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Oh, I found this article when I was looking for something else. Please don't think that I'm trivialising your problems, because I promise you I'm not. I just thought you would find some of it relevant and useful. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously