Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm new here.  I've always been bad at introducing myself.  I'm a female math teacher.  I've got two superheroes-in-training (right now, they claim they are Captain America and Batman) and a husband (he's my superhero....  I just threw up.  Sorry for that).  Anyway, I've always considered myself chunky; although, looking back I wasn't really until college.  I lost quite a bit of weight post college (80 lbs).  I gained every bit back when Captain America came along.  He's 5 now.  My life has been a little crazy in the last five years.  Not an excuse, I know I could have lost weight before now.  Anyway, I found the Nerd Fitness blog and loved it.  So, here I am.  I'm not really sure which guild I fit in yet, but I'll figure it out.  Anyway, I just wanted to say.  And like in real life, I feel like this introduction has been super awkward.  haha.  

• Like 1

Hey! Welcome on board. :) 

I'd just like to say don't worry about picking your guild or character creation or any of that stuff, you can participate in the forum and take part in challenges without doing any of that stuff. Lots of people really like the role play element but others are pretty "meh" about it all. There's a good post explaining the guilds Here if you want to read about them though. 

Have you considered joining in the next 4 Week Challenge? That's a good way of getting to know people and it really helps to keep you motivated too. It starts on the 8th of January and you wouldn't even need to pick a guild since everyone does their first challenge as a "Rebel."

The challenge section of the forum is probably the busiest and you'll find plenty of support and accountability from others if you take part. There's even a list of Suggested quests if you're a bit stuck as to what to do for your first challenge.

It's actually worth a read even if you think you know what you want to do, just to get an idea of the scale of the goals you should set for yourself. Many people totally fail their first challenge because they try to do too much, their goals are just too big. What you really want to do is to pick really small things to change, that way it's more achievable and you're way more likely to make it a permanent change. 

The other thing i always say to people is to have a grading (or points) system for their challenge rather than a pass/fail for each week. If, for example, your goal was to eat vegetables with your dinner every day and you didn't do it 3 days in a row you might feel like you'd failed :hopelessness: And for many people failure = quit, but if you were allocating yourself points then you would be more likely to get back on the horse and keep going. You've only dropped 3 points after all. ;) 

Oops! I've gone and written a novel again. Sorry about that! :D If you need any more advice or anything then be sure to ask, and I hope you enjoy being a part of our community. Hasta la vista.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously