Forums are back in action! ×

Trying to push through

Hi all,

I've barely gotten started on my new workout and diet goals (put in place after discovering this site), but already I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

The exercise part isn't so bad - I feel great after an intense body weight workout - I'm just extremely tired today. My chorus activities are starting to feel more like a second job than a hobby, with four nights this week and an afternoon this weekend devoted to music in some way. After a long gig last night I woke up to sore legs and bleary eyes, but I know I'll feel better if I push my way through it. Tonight has to be a workout night since I haven't had one since Sunday.

The dieting is a bit worse; again, it's more circumstance than anything. I didn't logistically prepare for such a busy schedule, so I find myself either grabbing awful processed foods on the go or just chugging water to suppress the hunger pangs. I know that neither of these is a good option, even in the short term.

I try to tell myself that all these things (the singing, the diet, the workouts, etc) are opportunities and not chores, and that helps sometimes. But this morning I feel like I'm moving through molasses and could use a helping hand.

Okay, the new guy is done venting. Thanks for listening, everyone.

Piercewise

Human Adventurer, Level 1

Current Quest: Adventure Time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 1 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Can you take a mental-health day from the chorus stuff?

And the stuff you grab on the go -- could it be fruit? Even dried fruit is better than most granola bars.

In the meantime, just keep on keeping on. Days like these, I mimic Dory from "Finding Nemo": 'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.' Eventually, you'll come out the other side.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Ditto LRB!

And yes, sometimes we ALL need a mental health day...even from activities we enjoy. If you go too hard, you'll burn out.

You're doing a GREAT job so far....just remember to give your mind and body a break sometimes. Recovery is an important part of any workout routine :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

What keeps me going in the mornings when I'm not keen on getting up is watching motivational videos on youtube (That originally pushed me to change my life) one that I listen to daily is linked in my signature.

Other than motivation I just remind myself that I feel 100% better after a good workout (and I always do) so it keeps me pushing through.

Diet is tough, without proper planning/cooking it can be hard to get meals. I'm taking it in baby steps and on days when I can't avoid unhealthy foods I make sure I only eat about half of what I used to eat when I was downing fast food every day. This helps my stomach from getting way out of whack with the food change and keeps the calories to a minimum (somewhat). I also tend to push myself harder the next workout after a few days of bad dieting to help...just make sure you keep good form! (I had a coach who told us that 100 times a minute on workout days...best advice I ever had)

Anyway, I hope you get out of your rut and find some time to relax so you won't feel so beaten down from life. I'm currently working two jobs and taking classes two nights a week so I know how it feels to wake up tired and not want to work out on a day I'm supposed to.

For days that I know I'm going to be out of the house all day, I take a gallon ziploc bag and toss in apples, oranges, carrots, almonds, beef jerky, bottled water, etc.

I still might not be able to avoid fast food entirely, but the bag goes a long way towards helping, and some days I can just graze from the bag and fix myself a complete meal when I get home.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

It can be really tough to get into a routine sometimes - hopefully once you get used to it you won't have such a tough time keeping everything together.

Adding to the chorus of people suggesting that you pack healthy food: for me, it's absolutely necessary to pack it the night before. I also have a super busy schedule and eat all 3 meals at work most days - if I try to remember everything at 5am when I'm groggily heading out, I WILL forget at least one meal and have to buy food or go hungry. So I pack everything up in tupperware before I go to bed, and in the morning I just take out the one big bag with all my food. I also carry cans of sardines/tuna/whatever fish was on sale in my bag at all times for quick protein.

Everyone has their own little motivational quirks, but personally I also like to put up a sticky note on my computer or something with something motivational written on it (my current favorite is "...if necessary for years, if necessary alone," which is a quote from Churchill's "Fight in the Beaches" speech, but you probably have your own). Then every time I look at it I get reminded of my goals. Being that busy and trying to take care of yourself is a tall order - give yourself props for everything you can do, even if you're not 100% perfect.

Thanks for the ideas and support, everyone! It means a lot.

I followed LRB's advice and reclaimed my evening - tonight was just a few people meeting for administrative purposes, so there's not too much harm in me missing. Now I'll be able to buy some decent food, work out, and prepare for the next few days while recharging my batteries at home. Tomorrow will be three meals out of the house, but with these tips I know I can make it work. It feels good : )

Thanks again!

Piercewise

Human Adventurer, Level 1

Current Quest: Adventure Time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 1 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Tuna and greek yogurt are probably the only reason I'm able to maintain any semblance of a diet.

4 cans of tuna, half a container of fat free sour cream, and a ****load of sriracha is like 600 calories but it has me STUFFED for hours, and I can put it together at work.

I eat plain greek yogurt with splenda, I like it a lot.

I've also streamlined making my morning shake, I'm down to 45 seconds. I have to catch a 515AM train, so efficiency is everything. Planning ahead really helps me.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4