Forums are back in action! ×

What is Nerd Fitness?

The information I presented came directly from a cardiologist. I guess in the future, for your benefit I will qualify every statement I make. The doctors who are the most up on cardiac care are doing THESE tests to really show if there is a risk involved. I do not claim to be the end all and be all of research or the last word in anything and it does in fact feel like you are picking on me, even though I have been extremely supportive of you. I think that the whole point of a forum is discussion and I pretty much felt that was what I was doing, discussing, not ordering and certainly not expecting no one else to put up any other information. I frankly choose, after loads of experience NOT to take the word of a physician as the end all and be all of truth...my choice, you can choose differently and possibly to your detriment...

I guess if I come across strong its because I spent about 6 years struggling with an undiagnosed illness that was literally killing me and all the doctors could do was shuttle me from one to the next and put me on medications when what I had was a bacterial infection that would have shown up had they done the fucking tests. You put an IV into your arm every day for 6 weeks that makes you so toxic that you cannot take antibiotics anymore and then you end up in so much pain that you ask the doctor why and all they can do is put you on antidepressants for 15 years that screw with you so badly you cant even have an orgasm, your face swells when you sleep, you are still in immense pain, you cant take care of your kids and you gain 70 pounds. When I finally said screw this and took command of my own health is when I got better (by the way, my dad was the one who freaking diagnosed me. A retired orthopedic surgeon happened to "suggest" a Lyme test and it was off the freaking charts, so much for the diagnostic skills of the 8 other doctors I had seen!)

To believe that doctors are all knowing and can figure out what is wrong with you even half of the time puts YOU at risk. While i have every respect for physicians and their training, it pains me to see them acting in experts in areas they HAVE LITTLE OR NO TRAINING IN--nutrition being one of them... I hope you never run into the situation that I have suffered with, or seen your friends who have the SAME issues as you on methadone now for pain and cant even get off the freaking couch...you need to be your own advocate. You need to get the information for yourself. You need to always have a second and a third opinion when what you are choosing to do can affect the rest of your life.

carry on . i got a lot on my plate and most of it is happy and fun.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

oystergirl, i just want to clarify my position...

just because you make a disclaimer by saying you are not a doctor, this doesn't give you a legal right to medically diagnose, make conclusions and advise people about their maladies. it is perfectly reasonable to talk about your experiences and suggest that this information may be helpful to someone else, but read carefully what you wrote...

If you Timmy are gonna have more tests to check for heart disease risk, make sure to have C-reactive protein levels checked and Homocystiene. you could also have your Co-Q-10 levels checked. If Co-Q is very low and homoceystiene is high then your risk is higher. c-reactive indicates inflammation...if all these things are normal then your heart is pretty much fine and dandy...

for good reasons, just because someone on your family was a doctor, or because you went through some serious illness that was treated inappropriately by a doctor, this doesn't give you the right to practice medicine...

no one believes doctors are all knowing, but at the very least they earned the legal right to practice medicine on other human beings...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Ok, where in my discussion did it ever say I was practicing medicine? The entire board is based on the premise that people take what is written with a hold harmless claim, under the idea that its simply based on people's experience. Come on brother, now who is being fascitious? I find your tone surprising and I guess I have just learned a pretty tough lesson. Thanks for teaching it to me.

well you:

1. suggested medical tests to Tim

2. interpreted for him what the results would signify

3. concluded that certain results from medical tests would mean his heart was healthy

when i go see my doctor, he or she doesn't say: "ok now i'm practicing medicine", s/he does exactly the 3 things listed above.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

ETF, I see your point, but it's just as oystergirl says:

The entire board is based on the premise that people take what is written with a hold harmless claim, under the idea that its simply based on people's experience.

Also, it seems like to be "practicing medicine" oystergirl would have to actually be taking money from people to diagnose their problems. As far as that's concerned, I'm pretty sure that she's not getting paid for her time on NF...none of us are (well except Spezzy), or we would all be a lot richer I think :D

Anyway...just an outsider's input.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

MirGSS, if that were the case, then i could open a free clinic somewhere and start treating people without a medical license. Clearly this is illegal.

i don't know where this hold harmless concept comes from. afaik, everyone is accountable for their own actions...

I SUGGESTED something and I said "pretty much" OK...

do you ever have the feeling in your life that you should stop, but can't?...I bet you do.

I guess i have been properly schooled by the person who knows the best way to post things and even when someone has supported them or been worried about how they are feeling cannot simply let it go.

Have a great weekend everyone. The show is over and I do not feel I need to defend myself when the only reason I came on this thread was to check if EFT was feeling ok.

MirGSS, if that were the case, then i could open a free clinic somewhere and start treating people without a medical license. Clearly this is illegal.

i don't know where this hold harmless concept comes from. afaik, everyone is accountable for their own actions...

It doesn't apply to written text though at least in the form of books and blogs. Miracle cure snake oils are alive and well in text. Heck there are even eating schemes that are claimed to eliminate virtually all non-viral/bacterial diseases.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Waldo, you took the words out of my mouth..err....fingers...something.

i don't know where this hold harmless concept comes from.

How about the Nerd Fitness Terms of Service? "The information is intended solely for entertainment purposes and may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and/or information, as circumstances will vary from person to person. You should not act or rely upon this information without seeking professional advice. Do not attempt any of the suggested actions, solutions, remedies, or instructions found on this website without first consulting with a qualified professional. They are not intended to be nor do they constitute actionable professional advice. Transmission of this information is not intended to create a professional-client relationship between www.nerdfitness.com (or it’s parent, Level Up Enterprises, LLC.) and you."

I don't think any reasonable person would mistake oystergirl for a medical professional. This site is for people to openly discuss their ideas and opinions based on past experience, you are correct. That being said, I don't think a disclaimer such as "THIS IS ONLY WHAT WORKS FOR ME" is strictly necessary...rather, it is assumed.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

you're right that there are more important considerations than having to be right... that's something that i think i need to work on... fwiw, i wasn't trying to make you feel bad, but in any event it seems like that's what i've achieved... i'm sorry for that.