Forums are back in action! ×

Live Long and Prosper

First Post! Yay! Alright, after the overly elated interjection, I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm 26 years old and a year away from finishing a 9 year long enlistment in the US Marines. Throughout my career, I've obviously had to keep pretty fit; but you'd be surprised at how counterproductive the military methodology of fitness really is. I've been resistant to it, while still maintaining their standards of operations. The military consists of frequent and regular long distant running, which if you've read any of the nerdfitness website, you might realize that such running is just as likely to burn away muscle as it is fat. So, it isn't as common to see a six-pack in the military as you might expect.

A little about me physically, I'm currently 5'6" and 150 lbs. I have an athletic looking physique, but am looking to get more toned, specifically to lower my BMI. My goal is to get my BMI to 10%. I couldn't tell you what my true BMI is right now, but the electronic scales tend to measure it around 18-20% based only off of my weight versus my height. I am pretty fit. I can do over 100 crunches, around 18 pullups, and run 3 miles in about 23 minutes as required by the Marines. Just last week, I ran 10 miles for heck of it. I love to hike, and was even active in a sport called Parkour for awhile, if you've heard of it. So, I like to move around and get some cardio. I never was much into the gym until recently, I preferred to pull my own weight around on obstacle courses and the like. I found it to be more natural and practical. Nerdfitness had some good articles regarding machine weights versus free weights in the gym which has sold me over, though. As far as eating, a few years back I moved away from sodas and fast food entirely. I would love to get off the carbs, but the military "procures" all my food, which unfortunately tends to be heavy in starches. I plan to remove them entirely when I leave military service; but for now I am cutting back on them; since my other option is to not eat. Back story, a vegabonding buddy of mine first introduced me to the Paleo diet, which I was skeptical of at first, until I saw the changes in him when he did his experiment with it. The physiological aspect of it makes sense; the body is pretty amazing in that regard, and not many people tap it's potential. It makes sense that if you cut "easy energy" foods like starches out of your diet, your body will resort to depleting your fat stores. It is similar to the concept when running of the "second wind." When you begin running, your body fuels itself from lactic acids in your muscles which contributes to why it is always so grueling at the start; but after a point of running, your body realizes you plan to sustain your activity and switches into aerobic mode and begins pulling the energy directly from the oxygen you are breathing. Hitting your "second wind" is an amazing feeling, like you're invincible.

Well, I see that there are a lot of different people from all walks of life here, but the thing that has sold me over is the natural philosophy proposed by nerdfitness. I've never been one to take medications, or supplements. I've always believed in the concept that nature created us and has provided us with everything our body needs to survive and excel. Our existence would make no sense, if this were not true. I see around the world diseases, dysfunctions, and disorders are growing rampant as people are sterilizing their lives and isolating their environments. Despite not fortifying myself with all these recommended nutrients and vitamins and not taking medications, I haven't been sick in years. Our bodies are efficient machines if we learn to use them effectively and naturally. So, I figure, I'll work this Paleo diet in as soon as I can and see how it fits me. It won't be hard in habit, just hard in method due to my military obligations, until I am back in the US anyways. Well, I tend to write too much, so I shall truncate here. If anybody has any questions for me, I will do my best to answer them. I look forward to the encouragement and hope that I can do the same.

"If you think we can't change the world, it just means you're not one of those that will." -Jacque Fresco

Welcome! It sounds like you have some good goals and I can understand your waiting until you're out of the service to try to go Paleo! I don't know much about Parkour myself, but it sounds like there are a lot of fans around here, so I'm sure you'll find some good connections!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I guess I will have to use the word truncate a little more, or was it just vocabulary in general? :eagerness:

Welcome!!! Sounds like you're off to a good start!!!

....you said truncate....hot :P

"If you think we can't change the world, it just means you're not one of those that will." -Jacque Fresco