Forums are back in action! ×

I'm afraid I don't have any real "nerd cred" but I love the ideas spoken about on this site, so I decided to join in. I'm not quite ready to attend Comic Con or the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, but I do enjoy watching G4 and we were religious Chuck fans. I read my first "graphic novel" after watching the Walking Dead, so I'm not completely out of the loop, just a novice.

I've started and departed several weight loss "crusades" over the past several years. I've tried SparkPeople, Weight Watchers and several other lesser known programs, but this past month has been different. I started (this time) when I turned 42 on February 12. I weighed in at 238 on that day - I'm 5'9 and was wear size 40 pants. My mother gave me a 3 month gym membership for the local rehab center. I was grateful, but embarrassed that my shape had gotten me into this predicament.

I've been married 13 years with a 10yr old daughter. I've educated myself quite a bit about food and diet over the past several attempts, but I have never been able to execute. I have no excuses, and I feel like I've run out of time to get my act together.

I started tracking everything I've eaten on Lose It and transferred to Myfitnesspal because it is a more complete solution (and has a blackberry app). I've focused on only eating "real foods" (except for protein bars and shakes) making sure to get at least 5 fruits/vegetables per day with protein at every meal and only eating whole grains. I'm still very reliant on whole grain wraps for sandwiches/burritos, greek yogurt and beans, so I'm not ready for paloe. I'm drinking 8 - 12 cups of water every day and have cut out diet sodas and juices (for the most part).

After a month of focusing on diet (sprinkled with some walking) I'm starting to get serious about the exercise. I'm going to start Couch to 5K - (which I've completed in the past - most recently 2 years ago) and I have a bodyweight routine to do along with a cybex machine routine (2-3 days per week).

I'm more confident than I've ever been that I will reach my goal of weighing less than 166 - (my weight freshman year of college) wearing size 32 pants (high school size). I've never been physically strong, but this is my opportunity. So far I'm down 18lbs weighing in this morning at 220.

I'm not anxious about the changes I've made and I feel pretty comfortable, I know that I need to be patient and that good things will come. I think I can gain some information and more importantly, motivation through this site.

Hey, welcome! No worries about the lack of nerd cred...we'll convert you eventually :D

Sounds like you have a good plan and some good goals. Feel free to poke around here and see what kind of info there is!

P.S. Not EVERYONE here is on the paleo bandwagon; you will be able to find plenty of good non-paleo nutrition advice :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Welcome drb and don't worry, I have no real nerd cred either except that I think Nerds are sexy!

Plenty of people here not doing paleo/primal so no worries, you'll fit in fine!

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

I've educated myself quite a bit about food and diet over the past several attempts, but I have never been able to execute. I have no excuses, and I feel like I've run out of time to get my act together.

I was in the same boat! I spent hours reading and researching about fitness and nutrition but I never used it on me (I can give great advice, though). This time around I decided to actually use my knowledge and get my body to where I want it to be! The folks here in NF seem nice enough for support so that helps, even though technically I'm still a newbie here. Keep us posted, bro.

Half-Demon Adventurer (Hoping to become an Assassin)Fitocracy |Twitter

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

I think I can gain some information and more importantly, motivation through this site.

That's what NF is best at! I've found that people who have tried repeatedly to lose weight are often very knowledgeable about weight loss. They just need motivation/adherence strategies to put what they know into action.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I'm in the same boat -- no superhero getup or pile of video games in my closet -- but I still think this is one of the best health and fitness communities out there. Welcome!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

No worries about cred. Heck...I don't even play video games anymore. :/

Welcome to the rebellion, fellow newbie!

The_Lonestar

www.christopheracooke.com

1st Level Ninja Jedi (Ranger/Assassin)

40% of 100% for Level-Up

STR 2; DEX 2; STA 2; CON 3; WIS 3; CHA 3

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10955-The-Lonestar-A-Challenge-35-Years-in-the-Making

"I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it."

--last words of Errol Flynn

"It's never too late to become what you might have been".

--George Elliot

Glad you found the site and welcome!

That is great that you have cut out a lot of processed sugar drinks like soda and juice that was one of the best diet changes I've made. If you even need encouragement or and advice don't be afraid to ask we all want to see you succeed.

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole