Forums are back in action! ×

Finally Passed My PT Test!

A back story:

When I came back from my 2 month mail mission @ Fob Walton, I weighed 220. I was disgusted with myself. I had done absolutely nothing but eat, sleep, and breathe for 2 months. I was afriad of gyms. I put on 10 lbs and had bad indigestion and a piss poor diet. I was reading reddit, which I always do....and I came across a link for NF. I read and read and was sold. So, I emailed steve begging for a work out plan. I then decided to buy both the strength and running guides he had. Using The rank 1 of his bodyweight workout, I started writing down everything and working out about 5 times a week. I tried using his running guide, but it really isnt tailored for the military. So, with the help of another awesome reader on here, I altered the Run and Weight workout routines to fit my needs. Basically I shortened the runs, changed the sprints a little bit, added sit-ups, etc. I retained the warm-ups and cool downs and most everything else. Steve even gave me a free deluxe version of both guides (after I had already bought them, but still!).

At the same time, I did a few other things. I went as much paleo as possible. Ditched the liquid calories, drank more water. Ditched the grains, but I kept a few small things, like yogurt, oatmeal, and potatoes. I did the math on how many calories I burned doing nothing, then how much I burned working out, and what I would need for intake to lose weight. My aim has been for 1 lb per week. I knew my PT test was not avoidable and I was at ground zero. This was early Feb. Fast Forward to yesterday, the 23rd our time (in Kandahar, AF)

My weight: 206 (my least since Jan 2009)

Height: 70 inches

Body Fat: 22% (The Army's system is a little off, but this is less than standard)

Push Ups - 53

Sit Ups - 64 (personal best ever)

2 Mile Run - 15:32 (best since May 2009)

Overall Score 242/300 (my best since 2003)

I am so stoked!! These are my new goals.

New Goals:

Weight: 200 lbs or below (sadly, weight has to be a goal. It matters in the Army)

Body Fat: 20%

Push Ups - 60

Situps - 70

2 Mile Run - 15:00

Overall Score 250/300

To be able to do 1 legit dead hang pull up or chin up

So, wish me luck!!!

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME

That's a great story! Can't wait to hear when you reach your next goals.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Congrats! Keep up the great work!! 8^D Onto becoming a PT Stud! ;^) Can't they go by BMI? When I was in, the super bulky muscular guys could pass according to BMI 8^)

Nah... they simplified it, in the dumbest way possible. They have a target weight based on your height and gender, and if you don't hit that, then they measure your neck and your waist, and plug it into a formula along with your height to measure bodyfat. You're generally allowed 24%, 26% if you're over 40. If you have any muscles at all, the system screws you. I had my bodyfat measured professionally at 23%. The army had me at 33%.

Still... way to go, Doc! I bet you'll hit those new goals sooner than you think.

Hooah!

The_Lonestar

www.christopheracooke.com

1st Level Ninja Jedi (Ranger/Assassin)

40% of 100% for Level-Up

STR 2; DEX 2; STA 2; CON 3; WIS 3; CHA 3

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10955-The-Lonestar-A-Challenge-35-Years-in-the-Making

"I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it."

--last words of Errol Flynn

"It's never too late to become what you might have been".

--George Elliot

Nah... they simplified it, in the dumbest way possible. They have a target weight based on your height and gender, and if you don't hit that, then they measure your neck and your waist, and plug it into a formula along with your height to measure bodyfat. You're generally allowed 24%, 26% if you're over 40. If you have any muscles at all, the system screws you. I had my bodyfat measured professionally at 23%. The army had me at 33%.

Still... way to go, Doc! I bet you'll hit those new goals sooner than you think.

It's been that way since I enlisted in 1988. You can game the numbers a little; you want a big neck and small waist. Annoyingly, it doesn't take into account the fact that some people have different proportions, but it's the best you can do when you have to do weight control in remote areas.

The women's version is even worse. There are 4 landmarks: wrist, forearm, hips, and waist. You can game those numbers a little, too, but it's hard.

Congrats on passing the PT test. I know you'll only continue to improve.

So, as an update, I am still @ 207 lbs. I have been doing Steve's Body Weight workout Rank 2. I had to switch Knees to Elbows with Planks because I can't hold on to the bar long enough to do more than 3 or 4 reps. I am finding out that I need quite a bit of help building grip, upper body, and shoulder strength and endurance. My ultimate goal is 80 situps, 80 pushups, and a sub 14 2-mile. For now, I am trying fun, but having some difficulty. I also may go in on a cross-fit membership with my wife. I am not a huge fan of crossfit, but if I can do it on top of my normal PT, I should burn off weight quicker. We can make exercise a family affair once I get back.

But yea, doing that many sit-ups and running that 15:30 2 mile even suprised me. If anyone needs any advice, I am all ears! Lastly, the diet has made all the difference. For every lb I lose, I get that much more faster and energetic. I long for the day when I look good naked. I mean, hell, I can just imagine coming in from work looking all sexy...turning the wife on and stuff. That there is good stuff. And being a balding, grey hair having, 34 year old dude with the whitest skin around, I won't have to worry about any new found attention. One of these days, I only hope that when my wife asks If I need any laundry washed, I can proudly say, "I did babe, but I went ahead and did them on my abs."

Yea, that is my motivation lol.

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME