Forums are back in action! ×

Coming in with Guns Blazing

Hey there, Rebels, I'm back!  Honestly, I don't have any idea how long it's been since I was on this forum last.  I know it was before I got married, so it was probably in the year of ought nine.

I don't have time to pansy around this time, though.  In November I'm doing a 250 km trek in Argentina and carrying my own gear.

Not to mention, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I'm too close to 40 to keep messing around and letting my body decline.  Argentina is just a jumping off point to make the rest of my life epic.

Who's with me?

nomoreexcuses.jpg

Oh yeah, I wanted to add some of my role models:

Emma Peel, The Avengers

Corvo Attano, Dishonored

Cassandra Pentaghast, Dragon Age: Inquisition

Cait, Fallout 4

Evie Frye, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Corbin Dallas, The 5th Element

And these two real life rangers:

s051991505.jpg

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

Welcome back! I'm pretty new here, and it's nice to know that this place works well enough that people keep returning to it. 

The trip to Argentina sounds amazing, and I'm super jealous. Do you have a game plan to help you prepare for your epic quest?

Stats:

26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

Thanks!  My friend has done two of these races and she talked me into it - meaning it was an amazing location and a once-in-a-lifetime experience..but now maybe...

I do have a game plan, but I'm open to suggestion.  Training for this type of thing requires a lot of time on my feet, but the cross-training is going to be important because the race includes carrying all my own gear - about 25 pounds.  So by October I should be doing a 24-mile day on the weekends carrying that much weight.

Do you have recommendations, or just curious what I'm planning?  (Right now I'm killing the 30-day plank challenge and doing mini circuits at work.  Looking for a good gym.)

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

Are you running it or hiking it? 250km is a great distance, are you planning on doing it in ~7 days? A few tips I've picked up over the years for thru-hikes:

-Wool Socks - have a fresh pair for every day; yes, it's worth the weight (Darn Tough are my favourite) {CAVEAT, you can wash & rewear, but you'll still want ~4 pairs in rotation, they take a while to dry properly}

-2 pairs of clothes - one you wear, one you wash; exofficio underwear is a g-dsend

-Cold food - cooking gear isn't worth the weight for a shorter trek like that

-TEST YOUR SLEEPING SYSTEM - make sure your pad/bag/pillow and tent will keep you warm enough, so you can get a good night's sleep.

-Practice setting up and tearing down camp, as well as packing/unpacking your bag - 2-3day hikes are a great idea to test run gear.

-Water bladder is superior to bottles, both in weight and convenience.

-If it could rain, get a silnylon poncho that will cover you and your bag, instead of carrying separate cover/jacket, AND can double as a tarp for emergency shelter.

-Test different footwear options - some folks need sturdier boots to support ankles from carrying extra weight, whereas others opt for lightweight shoes that will dry out better overnight (wet feet are a misery); you'll need to figure out which works best for you.

-Camp shoes - crocs (or lightweight sandals) are awesome to give your feet a break when you're walking around camp, and allow more time to let your walking shoes dry out overnight; they're easy to store on the outside of your pack with a carabiner.

-Safety pins are bizarrely useful - putting laundry on your pack to dry as you walk, emergency repairs, to fix a broken zipper handle, etc.

-Bring a 10L dry bag, and get some silicon - apply the silicon in wavy lines along the inside of the dry bag for a DIY wash bag (also handy for carrying smelly/dirty clothes).

-Walking sticks are good - ski poles also work as a cheap alternative, if you're on a budget.

-Choose your electronics carefully - you'll need to decide if you need an ipod, kindle, camera, battery pack and/or solar panel charger, cell phone, or none of the above; they are all heavy

-Stretch THROUGHOUT THE DAY - not just at the beginning/end; every time you stop to take a picture, drink water, eat, rest, etc. make sure to stretch ankles, hips, and upper back/chest.

-A lightweight scarf offers better air circulation & protection for shoulders,arms, and even face - much better than hats, IMO.

-TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET - can't be said enough; keep them as dry as possible, and have supplies on hand to deal with blisters (a needle & undied thread help drain it quickly). Personally, I follow it with some polysporin and a tiny bit of gauze, with duct tape on top, you will need to figure out what works best for YOU.

Oh geez, so much more - I hope that helps, and I'm happy to chat with you closer to the date. But have fun, it'll be a blast! :)

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Thank you!  I am really grateful for all the advice!  I'm going with an established company, so they'll have lots of support and first aid available.  I'm going to save your recommendations and refer to them.

I agree with everything @Defining says!

I've done a few supported hikes and it's good to have that feeling of having backup.  Also I have found that fellow travellers always overpack/share.

For example I had a possum come through the tent and regretted not having some duct tape, but sure enough there was someone with a huge roll of the stuff.  Now I've added duct tape to my kit.

I like a cotton scarf/hankie to mop up the sweat but also to dip in water and put around you neck.  I wouldn't do anything without a hat, but I do suffer from heatstroke.  I also take a very small tube of anti-rash cream.  Mostly I never need it but I dread getting a friction rash.

Meds - anti-inflam, anti-gastro.

but also don't overpack trying to cater for every possible outcome.  I definately carried the lighest pack on my hike and sure I didn't have a novel to read, but I had a full belly and a comfortable bed and I'd rather have a light pack than the luxuries.

I need you to post a link to the trip you're doing so I can imagine that I'm coming along.

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!  The race I'm doing is here:  http://www.4deserts.com/beyond/patagonia/

My friend has already completed Ecuador and Iceland, so I'll have someone that has run something similar.  The fun part is, they won't repeat this particular race for several years, at least, and maybe never.  It really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The rules for running a 4 Deserts race are fairly stringent as far as what you have to carry with you, but as I understand, they haven't lost a patient yet. :D  They provide hot water in the morning and at night where they can, so compared to some soloists,  you could look at this as a pretty posh setup for my first major trail run.

18 hours ago, Defining said:

-Walking sticks are good - ski poles also work as a cheap alternative, if you're on a budget.

Defining, what is the purpose of walking sticks?  I grew up in CO so did a bit of hiking as a kid, but we never used walking sticks.  I'm curious why some people use them.

42 minutes ago, Lydiechan said:

Defining, what is the purpose of walking sticks?  I grew up in CO so did a bit of hiking as a kid, but we never used walking sticks.  I'm curious why some people use them.

They help you go faster! Especially when you're carrying a pack. Also handy for going downhill to help prevent slips & falls, plus they're great for uneven terrain. I know they seem superfluous, but I'd definitely recommend trying them on a test hike before ruling them out. 

Supported hikes are awesome, but I agree with @Skywalker - a lighter pack can make all the difference. Again, testing your gear and setup is important, and you'll still need to decide what you need vs can give up (I suspect some kind of camera would be worth having ;) ) as well as what your feet need. 

The scarf can still cover your head - I learned this trick in India. But he's also right, if you are prone to heatstroke you may need a wide brim hat instead (think beach hat wide brim, the extra coverage/shade matters!). 

Also! The comment about rash cream reminded me: get some bodyglide. Seriously. Antichaffing cream can be the difference between a great experience and a horrific one. :)

Wow, that's really hard core!

Far more than anything I've done, or will ever do.

I'd be getting some serious trail running miles in those legs!

I'll be interested following along to see how you get on with the prep .

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

I'll post a link to my GPS (Christmas gift from mother-in-law) so my family can follow along.  It didn't occur to me that anyone else would want to!  I'll try to remember to post the link here, too, for anyone who would like to follow/live vicariously! :D

I will say, this is something that, when my friend told me she was doing her first, I said, "That's cool.  I'll never do that."  And now I'm doing one!  Likewise when I ran my half marathon.  I think things sneak up on you as you realize you can do more and more.

Regardless of whether you choose to do a long run or an ultra or a 4 Deserts, the fun is in finding out that you can do more than you ever believed possible.

On 1/31/2017 at 7:53 AM, Defining said:

They help you go faster!...Also handy for going downhill to help prevent slips & falls, plus they're great for uneven terrain.

Also! The comment about rash cream reminded me: get some bodyglide. Seriously. Antichaffing cream can be the difference between a great experience and a horrific one. :)

I like the idea of not slipping when I'm going down hills!  That's usually my biggest concern.  My pack should run about 25 pounds to start - will get a little lighter as I eat down my food, but most of it will be powdered to keep the weight light.  My gear list is running around 10 pounds, plus food and clothes, so I should hit that, or be very close.

Good to know on the bodyglide. They have it in a travel size!

Since there won't be showers, I'm looking at taking one or two of these: http://www.yunibeauty.com/shower-sheets/  Anyone have any experience with them?  I suppose I could just buy them and try them...

Yup, baby wipes are awesome (and cheaper than what you linked to) - and easy enough to DIY your own essential oil mix with unscented wipes as a base, if you feel like experimenting a bit.

A neck tube is useful to keep dust out of your hair too, if it's a no-shower run. 

EDIT: Also recommend exploring wool underwear/bra (if you don't go for exofficio), even in the heat - they stay stink-free the longest of any material.