Forums are back in action! ×

High fat, low carb foods linked to heart attacks in obese people...

I don't want to start the debate aaaaallll over again, studies can be interpreted many different ways, depending on who is doing to analyzing....however, this study says to me, that you should think carefully about how you choose to eat......

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I think people make WAY too big a stink about particular macronutrients. A plate of spinach covered in butter and a pop tart can both be construed as "high fat, low carb," but one is going to do way more damage than the other. Also, like Philociraptor said, these were rats, not people, and the article explicitly states that the findings cannot definitively link the diet to the results. If more conclusive evidence makes an appearance, I may be convinced, but not so far. Pass the butter!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I'm pretty sure any person who is obese is at a heightened risk for heart attacks period. High fat diets may be particularly dangerous for this specific population because of abnormally high triglyceride counts from bodily oxidation of both incoming fat and body fat.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Not saying it is an any way related, but my dog has an issue that when she eats extremely fatty foods (read fat table scraps) it does something to her digestive system that all around messes her up and either aggravates her congestive heart failure or causes it temporarily. She's had this for a few years now, it took a while to figure out that loads of fat was the trigger. Her vets think it is a miracle recovery (congestive heart failure isn't supposed to be curable) but she normally has no symptoms, only after she eats a lot of fat; the symptoms can linger for a few weeks if whatever she has is triggered.

I imagine it is similar in ways to gall blader issues, eating a high fat meal is the trigger for a gall bladder "attack" if you have gall stones, and if you've had your gall bladder removed high fat meals are to be avoided because they mess up your digestive system.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It would be interesting to review the incidence of gall bladder surgery "after" someone goes on a low fat diet to lose a ton of weight. My friend, who IS a surgeon says that gall bladder surgery is generally the second surgery done after someone has stomach stapling or has been on a very low fat diet.

Dogs, in general do much better of raw meat and raw fat. Cooking changes the nature of the proteins etc. If i give my dog a big fatty marrow bone (she is 14, blind and deaf) with tons of raw meat and suet on it she is happy as a clam, but give her the fat off a cooked steak and she yacks it back up...go figure! Waldo, good for you for loving on an older dog and not just putting her to sleep like lots of folks would do...

As for the study--LOL I learned my lesson last time...I aint touchin it with a ten foot twizzler! :)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I imagine it is similar in ways to gall blader issues, eating a high fat meal is the trigger for a gall bladder "attack" if you have gall stones, and if you've had your gall bladder removed high fat meals are to be avoided because they mess up your digestive system.

I had my gallbladder removed almost 10yrs ago and high fat diet, or higher in fat meal, has never caused me an issue. It always did my mother though.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

Looking at that group's studies it looks like they use a 60% fat, 30% protein 10% carb diet with the fat split between saturated and non-saturated. Actual ingredient:

Casein, vit free 37%

Corn starch 12%

Milkfat, crisco, lard each 9%

Minerals, dextrin, sucrose each 4%

This is a pretty decent rodent diet - obviously the crisco and milkfat aren't ideal, neither are corn starch, but it's a far cry from the normal 'high fat' diets which are also purely sugar. My main question is how they go to their rats obese to start with and the ages of their mice on testing. That said, the evidence suggests that the insulin metabolism in rats (and by extention humans) DURING a heart attack an immediately after are different in the hearts of people on a High fat and low fat diet, and that that insulin metabolism is exacerbating the heart attack injury.

That's all.

Interesting TED video recently about heart attacks being a bigger killer to women than men now (because the symptoms present differently so aren't immediately recognisable).

Is there anything you can elaborate or link me to on this please. My overweight mother (after losing 70lbs on paleo) just had major gall stone issues, spent 10 days in hospital and had her gall bladder removed (this was 2 weeks ago).

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

my MIL has this issue with her gall bladder and stones... it's triggered by fat intake and also had her bladder removed recently... she weights 110lbs tops and is ~5'3" so not overweight at all... she is pretty thin and athletic...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I get the point you are trying to make, but I don't think there's any way pop-tarts are high-fat/low-carb. ;)

Someone mentioned pop tarts, and I couldn't think of another applicable junk food at the moment...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Interesting TED video recently about heart attacks being a bigger killer to women than men now (because the symptoms present differently so aren't immediately recognisable).

Is there anything you can elaborate or link me to on this please. My overweight mother (after losing 70lbs on paleo) just had major gall stone issues, spent 10 days in hospital and had her gall bladder removed (this was 2 weeks ago).

I don't have any links but I'm sure you can find this easy on places like webMD, fat intake and gall bladder issues is pretty much accepted by everybody.

My wife had hers removed about 9 months ago, before the surgery her doctors told her that fat triggers the attacks and it definitely did, we had to stop eating red meat, pork, and avoid excessive cooking oils, etc... until it was removed. That made a huge difference for her. Once it was out they told use that for the first few weeks, the body won't know the difference (you get pseudo attacks for the first couple weeks), to keep avoiding fatty foods, after that to add it in moderation knowing that high fat foods can mess up her digestive system if eaten in excess (not a long term thing, an acute thing, as in caused by a single meal while it is digesting). Which is the case, the few times we've had a fatty meal, she's regretted it afterwards. No more bacon burgers for her.

Your mothers doctor surely should have explained fat intake and how it relates to an unhealthy gall bladder (one with stones) and a person whose gall bladder has been removed. The body has a hard time digesting large amounts of fat without the gall bladder. If he/she hasn't there should be a follow up appt in the next couple weeks, make sure he/she discusses that topic.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

regarding the rodent diet. Crisco is a trans fat--partially hydrogenated oil...and that is a known issue so DUH...lol we already knew that TRANS FATS create heart issues, how does that translate to the general statement FAT? Ah sweet rhetoric how you drive me to distraction!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!