Forums are back in action! ×

Awkward Owl Working on Building His Nest....

Hey y'all!

My name is Owl (and I'm awkward).  Now that that's out of the way....I'm here on NF (again) to find community and help me keep accountable to my goals.  I've got a few nerdy things that I enjoy including: Potterhead <3, Super Mario Brothers (but only the original), Super Pitfall, and TMNT (bonus points if you love Donatello).  I'm 29, a transmasculine dude, musician and nature explorer.

I'm here to:

1.  Lose weight (40ish pounds -- more concerned about physique than amount of weight lost)

2.  Save $3,000 (currently at roughly $1,800+)

3.  Get a healthier relationship with food -- my body knows exactly what it wants/needs, my mind gets in the way

4.  Find a job that brings me joy and that I'm passionate about

5.  Save money for a downpayment for a home

6.  Pay off student loans (I'll be debt free after that!)

Cheers,

Owl

• Like 2

Hey @awkwardowl! Welcome on board. :) 

I will admit that you had me puzzled by "transmasculine", that's a phrase I've not heard before. There is quite a few transgendered people on the boards, have you seen that there is an LGBTQ thread in The Pub yet?

Have you found your way around the site ok?  If you need any help then please just ask. 

I like your goals, they seem to be very realistic and achievable, though some of them will obviously take longer than others, lol!  Have you thought about how you are going to break these down into SMART goals (small, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely)? There's a hand article here that will be helpful. It's aimed at setting goals for the 4 Week Challenge but you can apply the same reasoning. 

If you'd like to take part in the next challenge (it starts on Feb 12th) then have a look through some of the links on that page, they will explain how to take part. The challenges are a great way to get involved with the community and to meet other members with similar goals.  You will meet other members and get a load of support and encouragement. If you need any help or advice the please just ask. :) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I identify as a man (and am trans), hence the term transmasculine.  I will certainly check out the LGBTQ forum in The Pub.  Just a heads up, someone is trans or transgender, not transgendered.  This is similar to calling a person of color a colored person -- it denies the individual's identity and makes the assumption that someone "did" something to be trans or a person of color.

I did my first challenge (but it didn't go so great, my goals weren't specific enough!)  Thanks for the warm welcome! =)

Thank you for the heads-up. It's not a distinction I'd even thought of, I'll be more aware from now now. :) 

Yeah, most people fall down on either not making their goals specific enough, or by trying to bite off more than they can chew. **raises hand**  I may have done that myself when I first started... :D 

If you need any help setting up for the next challenge and making your goals SMART I'll gladly help, or you could ask one of your Guild Leaders. I can't think who that is for the Adventurers of the top of my head but I'm sure you'll see who it is in the chat thread for your guild. They should be dropping by to check on your progress during the challenge anyway but sometimes it helps to make yourself known to them too. 

Good luck for your second challenge, I hope it goes well, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

2 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Thank you for the heads-up. It's not a distinction I'd even thought of, I'll be more aware from now now. :) 

Yeah, most people fall down on either not making their goals specific enough, or by trying to bite off more than they can chew. **raises hand**  I may have done that myself when I first started... :D 

If you need any help setting up for the next challenge and making your goals SMART I'll gladly help, or you could ask one of your Guild Leaders. I can't think who that is for the Adventurers of the top of my head but I'm sure you'll see who it is in the chat thread for your guild. They should be dropping by to check on your progress during the challenge anyway but sometimes it helps to make yourself known to them too. 

Good luck for your second challenge, I hope it goes well, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :) 

You're very welcome.  Thanks for your willingness to learn. =)

I also may have bit off more than I could chew....the jury is still out on that.

I think that I've made my goals SMART(er) for my next challenge.  Thanks for the good luck in regards to that!

I look forward to seeing you around the forums as well. 

• Like 2