Forums are back in action! ×

The little Hobbit that could

Hello people on the forum!

I signed up to nerd fitness four days ago and am really impressed at the system that is in place and how well my nerdiness has been satisfied with classes and how satisfying it is clicking "completed" in the little boxes.  All in all I`m super happy that I found this place.  A little about myself I guess. I am 33 and have been fat almost my entire life from age 13. It came to a head when I was 25 and I was wearing size 48 pants.  My size 48 pants were too tight so I went into a store looking for a new pair and the clerk said that they didn`t have my size and that I could try the big and tall store down the street for men of my proportion.  I was absolutely humiliated and after getting super mad at myself for allowing myself to get to such a condition I cracked down on my life style.  Slowly but surely over the years I have lost weight and now I am at a much better size 38 pants and feeling much better about myself and my place in the world.  I am still on the fat side and am far from athletic but I could live with that.  That was until I got married and now my wife and I are talking about having kids.  I grew up in a house of obesity and I promised myself that I would not let my kids do the same and that they would grow up with a parent that plays outside, takes them for hikes and goes swimming rather than watches TV with them from a couch.  So here I am, having lost a lot of weight but still a lot left to go before my goal of healthy Dad is met.  

Now that you have an idea of where I am from I could use a hand in obtaining my goals as I don`t quite know where to go.  This site has a lot of great features but I don`t understand a lot like why some quests for different classes are locked and what camps are.  I`m looking for a mentor to help me navigate the site and point out what a lot of the features are.  If anyone could give me a hand with site navigation that would be awesome!  

I look forward to being part of this community!

Bzorp

• Like 1

Welcome! That's really great that you want to set a good example for your kids. I know for myself my two boys are a huge motivator for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and passing down good eating/training habits. Unfortunately I cannot help much with navigation since I am also a noob here but Ill be paying attention to the thread to learn along with you. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Level 0 Half-drow Warrior

STR 0 DEX 0 STA 0 CON 0 WIS 0 CHA 0

Like Flarg, I'm another noob. So far, paging through the archives for older articles has been fairly useful. I can't help you with locked camps... it might be an Academy thing (which is one of the things you have to pay to be a part of). At this point, I only do the free resource stuff (sorry, Steve!).

I believe a new 4 week challenge will be opening soon and in the forum about it, Staci (Spezzy) has a video on how to start there.

Size 48 to 38, Awesome! And great goal to be thinking of your future kids (because not only will it be great for them to have a fit dad, they'll also need a guide to teach them how to avoid the monolithic influences that will be working to make them fat!).

Sorry I can't be more helpful in navigation, (oh, and maybe you've already noticed, but some forum posts can be a little dated... weird to respond to a thread 2 years dormant). (:

Maybe I will see you in the next challenge.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bzorp said:

Now that you have an idea of where I am from I could use a hand in obtaining my goals as I don`t quite know where to go.  This site has a lot of great features but I don`t understand a lot like why some quests for different classes are locked and what camps are.  I`m looking for a mentor to help me navigate the site and point out what a lot of the features are.  If anyone could give me a hand with site navigation that would be awesome!  

I look forward to being part of this community!

Bzorp

Yo Bzorp, whaddup!

Welcome to the forums! I'm a bit of a newbie myself but do have a comfortable familiarity with NF Academy and NF Forums.

First off, the Camp quests is in regards to the Nerd Fitness Camp, an annual event that just past by a few months ago(More info here). This and the Yoga Quests-which is another NF Program that costs money-are unlocked once you sign up for them.

If you are looking for assistance with the Academy part of Nerd Fitness I would highly recommend checking out the Start Here and FAQ section found at academy.nerdfitness.com. The mindset modules are definitely one of the easiest ones to get started with.

As for the Forums, I would recommend checking out the Start Here Section of the Boards. There's a board that has an FAQ and other useful info called Help/FAQ/Where to Begin. The Forums has a lot of different kinds of Boards ranging from Fitness related questions, to Off-Topic stuff, and the most-popular of them all, 4-Week Challenges.

Right now the most recent 4-Week Challenge is finishing up TODAY. A new one should be starting up some time soon so don't worry about missing this one! Likewise, the 4-Week Challenge also has a Help/FAQ Board but some of their threads contain dead links. For now I would recommend looking it over and reading up on what the Challenges are all about. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM or just reply back and someone can help you out!

Cheers!

~CCrab

• Like 1

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome

Welcome on board! :) 

There's some good advice from @CheshireCrab above, if you want to know more about the 4 Week Challenges then this page gives you all the info you need.  You can incorporate what you are doing in the accadamy into your challenge, they don't need to shouldn't be a separate set of goals. 

Another tool that people use is the Daily Battle Logs. You can track your progress and stay accountable by writing down your long/medium term goals, your plan for achieving those goals, and document your progress. Lots of people post their progress pictures there too.  I don't know about you but I prefer to see my progress in a photo that a number on the scale. It makes it more real and believable somehow. 

If there's anything else you want to know (I'm not a member of the Accadamy so I can't help with that) then just ask. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously