Forums are back in action! ×

losing BF % question

So... I'm trying to set an "aggresive, realistic" goal with my performance coach at CrossFit. My biggest goal is to lose body fat %... which is great, except I have NO idea what a realistic goal is in terms of body fat %. I did the handheld thing with her (which I personally feel is a LOT more accurate than the bathroom scale thing..) and it said 22.7%. My goal is 17-18% long term. But I was thinking of saying "under 20%" by end of June (3 months)... is this realistic at all? I really don't have a clue how fast/slow this goes. I'm assuming since I'm closer to it it will be slower. But... thoughts?? I don't have another meeting with her until late next week and she's out of town this week so I can't ask her. :P

I started the year at 28.1, and am now down at 24.6. I didn't really start working at it, though, until mid-February, by which point I was already down to 25.5. (I guess the holidays led to an artificially-inflated number at the beginning of the year). What if you say 1% a month, and re-evaluate each month to see if that remains realistic?

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I'm aiming for 2% minimum loss per challenge.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Maggie, a "good" body fat for a young woman is about 20%. That is considered "fit"...to be "cut" you would want to be under that, but getting closer to 15% is very difficult and will possibly start to cause you to lose your periods. When I was an older teen ballerina, I had about a 14% body fat and if I had strenuous weekly rehearsals etc. I might lose a cycle or two. That isn't any big deal, but if you are looking to long term health, even if you are not going to have children, having "enough" body fat for health is important.

You are close and women lose it much more slowly than men and will always carry a higher percentage than men, so I would suggest looking at 1% a month and then if you start to have period issues, reevaluate. Once your period goes, the skin starts to dry out, the hair starts to fall out, the nails start to get brittle...not fun and not pretty if you have ever seen girls that thin up close...Just my humble opinion from years of hanging with a very low body fat set of ballerinas...

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!