Forums are back in action! ×

Lower your body fat...eat chocolate?

Interestingly I've figured out that I eat chocolate in some form with most meals, or around most meals.

The breakfast bars that I make contain a fair amount of the stuff and taste like it (chopped dark chocolate, chocolate flavored whey, and cocoa powder).

I have a chocolate pudding with my lunch on weekdays.

My after workout shake (usually right before dinner) is a glass of chocolate milk.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

As the article points out, correlation does not imply causation. There are lots of theories as to why chocolate might help keep people trim, but the direction of causation could easily be reversed. For example, people who eat healthier, in general, might eat chocolate as a treat instead of ice cream or cake. It's also important to notice that this is an after-the-fact survey as opposed to a blind study, so the chocolate might help to keep weight off, but not actually lose it.

Now, with all of that asterisk material out of the way, does anyone know where I can find natural dark chocolate (e.g. not Hershey's, Dove, etc.)?

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

As the article points out, correlation does not imply causation. There are lots of theories as to why chocolate might help keep people trim, but the direction of causation could easily be reversed. For example, people who eat healthier, in general, might eat chocolate as a treat instead of ice cream or cake. It's also important to notice that this is an after-the-fact survey as opposed to a blind study, so the chocolate might help to keep weight off, but not actually lose it.

Now, with all of that asterisk material out of the way, does anyone know where I can find natural dark chocolate (e.g. not Hershey's, Dove, etc.)?

How about Green & Black's? It's excellent organic chocolate I can find easily all over the US.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Actually, dark chocolate - and I mean PURE dark chocolate - can help reduce blood pressure and help reduce the risk of heart diseases. This is some research that's been around for a while. I think it's delicious.

An aquired taste that you need to work up to. i like the after taste....but the chewing, well, i need more practice. ;)

Never let your fear decide your fate.

The breakfast bars that I make contain a fair amount of the stuff and taste like it (chopped dark chocolate, chocolate flavored whey, and cocoa powder).

Is that recipe available somewhere? I had never thought to put the whey into a solid, rather than a liquid shake. Is it more palatable that way?

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Is that recipe available somewhere? I had never thought to put the whey into a solid, rather than a liquid shake. Is it more palatable that way?

I got it from a blog post that ETF made, at least the generalities of it, found a few other similar recipes and made my own, I give it a little adjusting with each iteration. My first recipe is in a blog post of mine, Rivanariko reposted the recipe recently:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/entry.php?5459-Waldo-s-high-protein-Granola-Bars-recipe

I made note of all the changes to it I've made in the notes. Only change since then is to replace the 1/2 cup almonds (which add very little IMHO) with 1/4 cup macadamia nuts (which really work well with it, good change).

I love 'em, the whey is pretty seamless in it, you really can't taste it. The peanut butter, chocolate, and craisins definitely overpower it. This week's incarnation is 386 calories and 22g of protein per bar.

A lot of people assume that sweet sugary things aren't filling and are bad for you. These things are straight up gut bombs and fill you for hours.

I imagine the brand of whey makes a big impact on the flavor though. I get the EAS stuff.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Actually, dark chocolate - and I mean PURE dark chocolate - can help reduce blood pressure and help reduce the risk of heart diseases. This is some research that's been around for a while. I think it's delicious.
This might be related to research stating that excess of carbohydrates cause inflammation in the arteries which in turn makes cholesterol bad, a.k.a. clogged arteries and heart disease. Maybe, by eating dark chocolate, in turn help people to stay away from excess carbohydrates.

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/world_renown_heart_surgeon_speaks_out_on_what_really_causes_heart_disease.html

I haven't checked the sources on this one but it seems legit.

This might be related to research stating that excess of carbohydrates cause inflammation in the arteries which in turn makes cholesterol bad, a.k.a. clogged arteries and heart disease. Maybe, by eating dark chocolate, in turn help people to stay away from excess carbohydrates.

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/world_renown_heart_surgeon_speaks_out_on_what_really_causes_heart_disease.html

I haven't checked the sources on this one but it seems legit.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=22529805

Here's a research paper that's says dark chocolate is awesome haha. You could be totally correct too that lower cholesterol may be due to the decrease of carbs and substituting it with DC

Being a Biochemist and Chemist is my hobby, passion and career :victorious:

I had to laugh at one of the comments...

"And on another story, January Jones eats her placenta.....

I wonder if you combine chocolate with placenta, mothers may be able to regain their pre-pregnancy figures quicker and in better health?"

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

Although not related to Waldo's recipe really or chocolate, but I put my whey in my oatmeal every morning. I use vanilla and then add some strawberries. Creates a kind of strawberry shortcake kind of flavor. I could never drink whey -- they always seemed gritty and the taste really made me want to gag.

Old Battle Log