Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone! My name is Steven. I'm a 23 year old from North Carolina. I have been overweight for most of my life. I've attempted several times over the years to lose weight, but I always seem to quit or get sidetracked and lose my way. Games are my big hobby(video or tabletop, both are fun!). In the past I've done everything from low/no carb diets, supplementing with green juice(I have a champion 3000 juicer), moderate calorie deficits, and intermittent fasting.

I love to lift weights(I prefer dumb bells to barbells) but I have trouble ever getting motivated to start. Once I can get myself motivated to start I am gung-ho for a week or so, but after that starting period I'm no longer excited about it and I just drop it until I get motivated to 'do it for real this time' in another 6 months.

The problem I seem to have is not with educating myself (I love to learn and read), but one of motivation. No matter what I tell myself, or what other say to me I am not able to stay motivated. Everything from telling myself I'm going to die before my time to being given material incentives just doesn't seem to work for me.

I've decided that I need someone else/ a support group to keep me accountable. So here I am! I hope to make some friends here who will help me stay motivated to do what I need to do. I don't need too much advice as far as what to eat or how to exercise, just some like minded friends to help keep me accountable so I can lose the weight and feel good about myself!

Welcome welcome. I perfectly understand the motivation problem. One thing that works for me is a reward system. For example, I have goals (do X amount of pushups without stopping, weight under X pounds, run nonstop for X distance), and when I've completed 5 of them, I reward myself with something fun (like buying an older $10 Xbox game or going out to my favorite ice cream place). Next reward will involve buying something horrendous/awesome at Goodwill. Another thing is that I try to vary my workouts so I don't get bored. Right now I'm doing body weight circuit training and interval workout on cardio machine, but last month I did more weight machines and jogging.

Level 4 Secret Agent Assassin

STR - 5  DEX - 4  STA - 6  CON - 4  WIS - 10  CHA - 7

6 Week Challenge - Mission 160

Thanks for the replies guys :).

@timelovesahero that's a cool approach. I don't think it would work for me though. I would start rewarding myself for the smallest things.

@Thrillho nice to meet you man, right back at you! As far as the juicer goes, I actually really like it. I don't really enjoy many veggie superfoods, so the juicer helps me get those in my body in a way that doesn't taste bad to me. As far as being a motivational buddy I'll take you up on that!