Forums are back in action! ×

Time to Level Up: New routine needed.

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

I'm looking to adjust my workouts. i've been in the gym 4 days a week. wrestling on sunday (making 5). I'm doing a barbell/dumbell routine on those days in the gym and I'm thinking of finding something on two of the days that can work the whole body that will double as a cardio workout.

so example mondy and tuesday I do the weighted stuff. then thursday and friday I do some body weight/kettlebell/whateverYouHelpMeWith routine. something to really give me a good thrashing from head to toe. core work. plyometrics. stuff like that but maybe stuff that uses weights as well.

also i'd like to take into consideration that on the weighted days since i'd be doing only two barbell days what could i do to get the most out of that since i'd only be doing it once a week instead of twice (mon and thurs are the same workouts and tues/fri are the same like an "a" day and "b" day).

would it just make more sense to do something in the morning. then do the weights at night. or vice versa? so do 2 workouts on those days? it's time to go to another level.

Workout that doubles as a cardio workout? Circuit training

You can look at the Crossfit named workouts, some of them fit this bill. I modified one of them for myself, Cindy, instead of doing 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 BW squats AMRAP in 20 minutes, I did 50 pullups, 100 pushups, 150 BW squats as fast as I could with no limits on the number or size of sets (the ratio is pretty good). It pretty much hits every muscle to some degree, and is easy to add difficulty to (weighted pullups, feet elevated pushups/diamond pushups, and overhead DB squats, or....more reps).

The advanced BW circuit that Steve has on NF is pretty good. Its tough.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Barbell complexes came to mind. It's a circuit of barbell/oly lifts where you complete each exercise in the set consecutively without letting go of the bar. You can't max out your weight (unless you can OHP as much as you can DL), but it's a good cardio and endurance workout that still puts some weight on you.

I haven't done too many different ones, but the bear complex is a bear.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Guest Snake McClain

that looks like it yes.

Here's what I came up with off the top of my head.

Barbell Workouts

Workout A

Back Squat-3x5

Press-3x8

RDL-3x8

Chins/Curlz-3 sets to fail/3x8

Workout B

Front Squat-5x3

Bench-3x8

Row-3x8

Chins/Curlz-3 sets to fail/3x8

although this is slightly different than what i'm doing it is way too similar. I would like to find something that does a bit of what i'm doing and throws in some completely new stuff. Worth considering definitely but this is basically what've been doing already.

Barbell complexes came to mind. It's a circuit of barbell/oly lifts where you complete each exercise in the set consecutively without letting go of the bar. You can't max out your weight (unless you can OHP as much as you can DL), but it's a good cardio and endurance workout that still puts some weight on you.

I haven't done too many different ones, but the bear complex is a bear.

this...looks freaking awesome. i've never done a power clean before though....so knowing that what typically does someone use as a starting weight?

Also a problem...I have an issue with back squats. i have a shoulder injury and i can't quite hold the bar proper. I am going to try this but if i can't hold onto the bar right i'll just back off and stop. which would be sad because this looks amazing.

Guest Snake McClain
You could try the complexes on www.wannabebig.com
Have you tried sandbag circuits? There's some good ones at this blog sandbagfitness.

these look rad especially that sandbag circuit. my goodness the challenge that would pose trying to balance...and with a filled sandbag...i could do that anywhere really. dude. that is brilliant. BRILLIANT!

Guest Snake McClain
Have you figured out a new routine? I got this in my feed today and the split seemed like it would fit your needs. Train like an Athlete

just saw this. looking at article now...

love me some bear complex. haven't done it in a while though. you've got some good suggestions going here!!

and yes that bear complex is sweet. problem i can't do back squats due to my shoulder so i sort of manipulate it. i love complexes. no idea how i havent' heard of them before.