Forums are back in action! ×

Not epic quest, but I'm going to Mexico on business

Not really the good part of Mexico (Tijuana) but I've never been there so it's something.

On the very bright side, I get to spend 2 nights in San Diego, another place I've never been. And I get to ride in an armored vehicle into the work site, so that's cool.

Any recommendations for not getting kidnapped?

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

Haha my work has plants in Tijuana and San Luis Rio Colorado. I've only ever been to the San Luis one.

I assume you come back to San Diego at night? For my work we travel over the border every day. Makes for a long day but a safer one. Once we crossed the border on foot a van from the plant picks us up after the driver helps with the paperwork. Then at night we get a ride back to the border, walk across (saves tons of time), and go to a nearby locked parking lot where rental cars are.

I never really spent much time in Mexico not at the plant and when I was it was around coworkers and within sight of the border. Will you be spending time on foot away from the work site? How secure is the work site (I assume very, given the armored vehicle)?

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

My understanding is everything is very secure. The vehicle picks us up at 6am and we leave at 4pm, so it's not an awfully long day compared to what we are used to. I won't have to leave the work site for anything.

This first trip is short, but I will be spending a week at a time every few weeks over the next 5 months. I'm looking forward to the San Diego part.

16%
16%

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

I've now made two trips, and have my third scheduled for next weekend.

Observations:

1. Tijuana is poor. I knew it was poor, but seeing that level of poverty in person...wow.

2. The surrounding area is actually somewhat scenic (mountains, steep cliffs).

3. San Diego gets an A+, love that city.

4. Armored vehicles don't provide the level of confidence you may assume they would.

16%
16%

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

I'm waaaay late on this one, and I have little advice on not getting kidnapped, but as for "not epic quest ... business (trip)", I have that view very often and suggest adopting the old saying (Andean I think, not Mexican) "Caminante, no hay camino. Se have camino andando" - "Wayfarer, there is no path. We make the path as we go"! There's a little epic (ha ha "little epic") to be found everywhere. Here's hoping it was a great trip.

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~