Forums are back in action! ×

Back after a LONG hiatus

Hi Nerds!

I first found this site and created an account around 2013. It's been a while!

After coming back from a year long overseas trip in 2011-13, I was in shape for the first time in my life. I was down to about 180 lbs, did CrossFit regularly, and generally enjoyed life. I saw NF as a way to keep myself motivated. Fast forward to 2017 and things aren't going that great. I've put on a lot of weight - more than I have ever been. Now at 260ish; my previous high weight was 213 back in 2010. Suffice to say I have a LOT of work in front of me. 

I was pretty skinny as a function of being overseas (new beginnings) where I walked everywhere, was only around fresh food (best veggies I've ever had), and cooked often. Coming back stateside I was doing well (CrossFit) - kept up with everything healthy. Then some personal stuff happened (depression, etc.). 

I lost my way and gained my weight. 

About 5 months ago I started getting back to the gym with a personal trainer. I'm now at 30 mins, 3 days a week - at least when I don't flake out and skip it or get there super late. Typically we do a mix of weights and cardio. 

The biggest problem is my diet. I've done it before, but this time it's just way harder. I was Paleo-ish for a while, Keto-ish, MyFitnessPal counting calories, etc. My mom is recommending 17 Day Diet because it worked for a family friend a few years younger than me. My family is supportive and encouraging.

I like to cook and generally bring healthy food with me to work; I just have a complete lack of self discipline. My office has tons of candy, desserts, and other sweets. I stop at Starbucks, Dunkin, local bakeries, get desserts on my own, pig out on whatever is in our house, etc.

I'm turning 30 in May, and I want to fix this. I need to fix this. Knowing that still hasn't gotten me out of my bad habits.

Last year I went to New York Comic Con and it motivated me to want to be in shape enough to this year. Today I re-found this post and it convinced me to come back and post. No one wants to see a fat Han Solo. So that's my goal, to cosplay as some great character. My backup is to go as Barf or a Sontaran.

Barf_(Spaceballs).jpg

Sontarans_2008.jpg

• Like 1

Current challenge - including spreadsheet where I keep track of everything (totally nerdy)

Accountibilibuddies - Yoda's Padawans

Adventurer - attributes TBD

Fitocracy

Wow, I hadn't seen that success story before, that's quite a transformation.  Thanks for sharing. :) 

I'm really sorry to here about what's happened, it's such a shame to lose all that progress but unfortunately depression can do that (and worse).   I hope you're ok now, but if you're still struggling then don't feel that you have to hide it or suffer alone.  There are lots of members on here who battle depression and there is several support threads.  Unfortunately I have no idea where maybe @Tanktimus the Encourager can help?

It's great that you've started going to the gym and working out, congrats for that.  Starting is the hardest bit sometimes.  But yeah, the treats at work must be a NIGHTMARE.  I don't know about you but I found it helpful to think about how much of my last workout would be totally wasted if I ate **insert treat here**.  It's kinda shocking when you work out how many (few??) calories you have actually burned (once you subtract the calories that your body would have burned regardless of the workout) buy working out compared with how may you can consume with just one portion of dessert.  Thinking of that always helps me to say "no thank you" when there's something sweet on offer.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy being back here and a part of the community again.  See you around.  :) 

Guzzi

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I don't know where the depression support threads are either, many members struggle with depression and find a way to work out. I can relate to the eating junk for no reason. For a long time I would eat my feelings, especially boredom, and I got up to 295 at my worst (maybe as high as 300) after having been down to 208. It's a process, and learning to love yourself can be the hardest, and most important part.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath