Forums are back in action! ×

Taking the plunge from across the world

Hello fellow nerdly types! I heard about Nerd Fitness from a friend of my fiancee's and then again later from one of my best friends back home, so I lurked and debated joining for a few months and finally decided to give it a go! The main reason I was holding off was because I've been living in Japan for the last five years and will probably be here for at least two more, and a lot of the fitness and diet advice I've received in the past hasn't really been feasible here (for example, joining gyms can be ridiculously hard and expensive, and there aren't a lot of shops where you can easily get home fitness equipment, even if you're lucky enough like me to have the space for it!). But I've decided that's no reason not to at least try!

I guess I'll explain a bit about why I'm joining; I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroid in childhood, had more health issues in college, and after an unhealthy two years in Scotland for my master's degree, and I just got sick of feeling sluggish and unhealthy all of the time. After having to return to the states after my master's was finished, I managed to successfully lose 30lbs and feel much stronger and healthier, and I kept it off for two years...until I landed in the hospital literally bleeding to death out of nowhere in May 2014. I was bedridden for a month, under strict observation and recovery for 9 more months, and on prednisone that entire time. I ended up with chronic ITP, or basically always having dangerously low platelets. Over the last two years, I've done my best to try and get back to living normally, but the weight gain on the steroids plus the loss of strength has really taken its toll. I'm in some of the worst shape of my life, and that is really getting in the way of enjoying living and working in Osaka :( But now that I've had good platelet count for a year, have a more normal schedule, and approval to start working out, I want to get to it! I've joined up with a circus and stunt class so that I can learn to fall with minimal bruising (since even tiny injuries make me look like I've been in a car wreck now), my fiancee @purplebug bought me some rollerblades for my birthday, and though we already ate pretty healthily (we cook in all but one or two meals a week, from scratch, and try to keep a good eye on portions and nutrition), we're going to really buckle down in that area even more so, just in case! 

But, my fiancee isn't a big health nut, and I'm sick of just plugging along with the usual boring diet and exercise routines. We need some accountability, and we're both huge geeks; I'm big into anime, theater (going to Takarazuka tomorrow, yay!), sci-fi, fantasy, D&D, animation, comic books, mystery, horror, and steampunk, and I'm hoping if I can get my body back into shape, I'll be able to pass the audition to work at Universal Studio Japan's Wizarding World of Harry Potter because hello dream job! So the Nerd Fitness challenges seemed like a good way to put a new spin on a difficult journey :) Anyway, this got long, but nice to meet everyone, and looking forward to making some new friends on this fitness journey!

• Like 2

Ugh!  That sounds awful, I think you're amazing for trying to get healthy, lots of people would use health problems like those as an excuse not to do anything. 

I really feel for you.  I was in a near fatal accident 6 years ago and I've had a long recovery period, even now I'm not able to do very much and I get exhausted very quickly.  It's a total Pain in the Ass. 

Since you cant buy gym equipment easily why not check out the Beginners Bodyweight Workout, it gives you a real workout using very little equipment.  If you want to, you can progress bodyweight exercises indefinitely (almost!).  And you would be amazed at how much strength and muscle you can build with just your own body.  Check out www.strengthunbound.com to see some results. :) 

Whatever for of exercise you choose, I hope you enjoy being part of this community.  Welcome on board. :encouragement: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Wow, that's a lot to deal with, isn't it? Kudos to you for moving beyond your "problems" and reaching for your best life. I just had ACL reconstruction 7 weeks ago, and have been frustrated with limited mobility. While researching ACL recon recovery, I decided to get the rest of me in shape too, not just my knee. I'd love to do the 10-minute walk that Steve of NF suggests for getting started, but that's just not in the cards right now unless I want a fat, painful knee. LOL

In my eyes, you have one of the coolest reasons ever to get healthy: working at Harry Potter World!!!! I hope that motivates you like crazy. I know it would me! I'm re-reading the HP series for the 5th or 6th time right now... in the middle of Half-Blood Prince. :biggrin-new:

Much luck to you! Hit me up anytime you need a little support. I'm rooting for you!

~Laurie

• Like 1

Thank you for the support, @Lovejoy444! I kind of think passing the audition and working at WWoHP is pretty much living the dream, too :) My finacee actually has been chatting with the casting director just casually when he walks his dogs for a couple of weeks now, and we just found out what his job is, so that's a foot in the door, but if I could get into shape, that definitely helps even more! I hope your knee recovery goes well. Good luck!

• Like 1