Forums are back in action! ×

Thura's getting anti-fragile

Hello everybody,

I'm very glad I found the rebellion! I'm somewhat poor on making forum introductions, but I try my best. First of all, I'm no native speaker, so please be mild on poor grammar or orthography.

So well - I'm 38 year old woman and come from germany. What I do as a job is hard to describe - a sedetary office-thing, kind of account staff. In my free time I'm first of all in for World of Warcraft (though Legion doesn't thrill me that much) and a little bit of Nintendo DS here and there. I also do training in my small home gym, which is actually just a set of dumbbells with changeable weights. Ah yes, I own a bar for pull-ups, too. And yeah - I can't do a single one of them. But I work on it ;) .

My life-time mission or epic quest is sketched out pretty fast: On NF I stumbled upon the concept of being "anti-fragil". That's it! That has been my problem my entire life - I'm fragil. And I don't want it anymore.

The fragility touches pretty every single aspect of my life. I am well self-educated, but that doesn't help much.

I'm doing best with my nutrition. I cook healthy, real-food meals for about two years now. I'm quite proud to say, that approx. 95% of my nutrition consists of it. But here I'm fragile, too: When something get's in the way, I'm really fast on letting it go. E.g., when I forgot to take my pre-preped breakfast to work, I'm quite fast in buying myself some sugary stuff from the bakery.

Training: That's going much better than a few years ago. Today I stick for my training pretty good (3 times a week one hour of weight lifting). But my last vacation showed, that I get out of it pretty fast. Although I took my restistance bands with me, I only did one training in two weeks. That's pretty lame.

Physically: Here is one major weak point. I feel really really fragil. Part of it are my joints: My knees are kaput for almost my entire life. I got a surgery at the age of 12. Four years ago I did the stupid mistake and started running, which screwed up my knees completely. No I can't run anymore, only walk. In the past years, I've saw a LOT of busses and trains get away on me, because I wasn't able to run and get them in time. When I walk up stairs, I'm constantly in pain. Together with some other issues I always think: No, I can't do this or can't do that, because I'm broken. I want to change that!

Mental: I'm fragile here, too. I can get stressed pretty fast, and then develop a good lot of weird psychosomatic symptoms. E.g. getting the feeling of being suffocated, or feeling dizzy, getting sight disorders or get prickling in my hands and feets. Yes, I had a doctor looked it up several times - I'm perfectly healthy.

I want to work on it. I want to get over it and become anti-fragil in every part of my life.

So much for now, I have to go for work. Wish you all a nice day!

Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate?
Or would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

~ Architects - Rise Against ~

Challenge #1

Thank you for your welcome :) ! Getting these healthy-eating and training habits really was the hard part. I failed a few times here, but now I strive.

I want to read a bit more around the forums to get in the groove. Although I really love gamification (I can make almost everything a game, even my daily nutrition tracking) I have to embrace it fully.

Making my life an epic game-quest... why haven't I thought of that by myself? It's so ridiculously obvious.

Challenge #1

To share 2 concepts that really worked for me over the years:

1. "Perfect is the Enemy of Good". There were days when I just couldn't get in a full workout as planned, or eat something healthy when I was out or something. So I just did what I could, maybe instead of a weights session I would crank out 20 pushups, setups, squats, burpees and call it a day. As for the eating, I would just maybe eat 1/2 the portion, skip the dressings, drink lots of sparkling water (this is a great trick for going out on party nights when you don't feel like drinking alcohol). 

2. "Don't get a bad hour become a bad day, a bad day become a bad week, a bad week become a bad month, a bad month become a bad year." I have learnt to bounce right back from small setbacks with diet, workouts, work, etc and just head back to the groove. It is almost inevitable that "life happens" (you get a flu, kids get a flu, wife has to travel, etc) so the ability to rebound quickly can be trained. 

Sometimes in a game you die and need to respawn... better if you still have all the equipment and on the same level rather than going right back to the start!

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

Hello godjira! Your first concept is something I worked hard for the last couple of years. I've come quite far in being an "unperfect human" already! You refer it to training - that's really interesting. I haven't thought that way. For me it was "all or nothing" - when I can't do all exercises, I skip the whole training and do it the next day. But next time, when I'm plagued by muscle aches again, I just skip the part which hurts and do the rest nonetheless.

The second concept is really important to me. It's one of my big issues. I'm fast in thinking "Oh yeah, now I've eaten that piece of cake. The day's done for. I'll eat the rest of the cake and order some pizza then.". And in most of the cases, the rest of the week then goes on like this.

But now I know the power of respawn-points ;)

I'm still figuring out what to write in the Daily Battle Log-Section. I admit, I'm really stunned by the creative logs, ideas and approaches there. I try to make something similar. But I come to the clue, that it happens to me again - analysis paralysis. I want so hard to come up with something sophisticated and special, that I do nothing at all.

So my first quest: Start a battle log until 6 p.m. (CET) this evening. Until then, I crawl through nerdfitness and check for Legion Assaults on EU Realms.

Challenge #1