Forums are back in action! ×

Mead or Beer Homebrewers- I got a question

I am interested in starting a new hobby. I have looked around the internet for information on homebrewing (particularly mead). Does any here do that and what would you say the level of commitment is to start and continue brewing. I want something that will be fun and not turn into a chore.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

I've never gotten into homebrewing (which is surprising, because I tend to pick up hobbies like it is going out of style), but from what I've heard from friends who do it, you sort of get out of it what you put into it. All of them recommend getting started with a kit off of Craigslist or something, because lots of people try it and give up on it and it's better to find out if you are going to be one of those people without spending a ton of money. The people get into it, though, really get into it - it's an art form. Next thing your basement is taken over by this:

homebrew-beer.jpg

post-4076-1356724348861_thumb.jpg

I am a homebrewer, but I've never made mead.

Get a kit off craigslist and find a local homebrewing store - the people that run those places are usually very helpful and probably have tried mead.

Best piece of advice? Clean and sanitize everything. Then sanitize it again.

100% agree with mookie. My wife has been homebrewing for 7 years now and got me into when we met. We now have a kegging setup with a dual tap in the basement. It's super fun, and pretty easy. I mean really, it's like making soup for 4 hours (sometimes a bit longer, sometimes a bit less).

If you can borrow a kit from someone you know, by all means. It'll take about $30 for a ingredient kit, and about 4 hours of time. If you can't borrow a kit, then you'll probably want to hunt CL for something cheap or buy a nice starter kit like this one: Local Shop's Starter Kit.

Then you let it sit for 2 weeks, switch to a 2nd jug, sit another 2 weeks, then bottle it which will probably take another 2 or 3 hours. You can use any bottle of beer that isn't twist top. Then in another 3 months you drink (assuming it's like a simple beer).

My dad makes awesome wine also loads of Turkish Raki. I was hoping to get him to make honey wine for me, but we kind of ate the honey we were supposed to make wine with. As long as it's fermanted, and done carefully it's harmless but be careful if you're attempting to do distillation because it may cause blindness and death in some cases if not done properly. My dad sends samples to testing in labs before letting us drink the raki and vodka.

I suggest different fruit liquers, wine, meads are good for home, easy to make and store. He said beer and whiskey type drinks are hard to make at home.

I really want to make dandelion wine and wonder the taste of it ever since i listened to Faun - Dandelion Wine. But i think i'm too lazy to go look for wine quality dandelions.

Hi, I'm Rose. I'm a wannabe freelance Illustrator/Character Artist with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture. I'm a Graphic Design Student and I have bad eating habits.

Roselyn Shade

Half Elf Adventurer [wannabe Bard]

Level : 2

| STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 8 |

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee - Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Challange | Sketchblog Tumblr | Portfolio

How to make Klingon Bloodwine:

http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/bloodwine.htm

How to make Klingon Firewine:

http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/firewine.htm

The man who wrote these articles knows prob. waaaaay too much about brewing. He brews all kinds of stuff. If you got a question, you can pm me and I'll shoot him an email. He'll get ya started. He's made meads, ales, wines, beers, his Honey mead kicks ass.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

How to make Klingon Bloodwine:

http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/bloodwine.htm

How to make Klingon Firewine:

http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/firewine.htm

The man who wrote these articles knows prob. waaaaay too much about brewing. He brews all kinds of stuff. If you got a question, you can pm me and I'll shoot him an email. He'll get ya started. He's made meads, ales, wines, beers, his Honey mead kicks ass.

This. This right here? This is why I love NerdFitness.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy