Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all!

I'm Revah, and I discovered Nerd Fitness yesterday and spent far more time than I should have reading the blog archives!

So, a little about me. I am, as the title would suggest, squishy. I've never paid very much attention to physical fitness (who would, when there are books to read? ;) ) but, if you'll forgive the geekery, after a minor health scare I've come to a point in life where I need to take a few levels in warrior skills or something. I've always loved the analogy of 'levelling up your life' and it's often been a great motivator for me when I'm finding things difficult.

I've got a physical disability that means one side of my body is a lot weaker than the other, which means I'm going to have to adapt a lot of the ideas I read about. I think I'm going to start with the beginner's bodyweight circuit, as that looks quite manageable from where I am. I'm also going to attempt the 100 pushup challenge - with knee pushups, first, and then on to the regular kind. I love the idea of lifting weights, and it's also something I think that I can reasonably work on. I don't drive, so I'm used to carrying all my groceries around. (I once surprised myself when I was abroad by being able to haul a 40lb sack of rice across a field...)

I'm on the heavier side (5'2", 160-ish lbs), but not interested in dieting. I don't want to lose weight. I am, however, interested in eating slightly better than I do now, which wouldn't be difficult seeing as my intake is mostly caffeine and junk food. I'm vegetarian and don't believe paleo would be healthy for me at this point, so I'm going to try to cut right down on sugar and processed foods and limit myself to one takeaway meal a week as a first step. If I feel a lot better doing that, then I'll look into further changes.

So, any tips from anyone having started out in a similar position? (Or not - any tips at all would be good!) I'm looking forward to joining in here and seeing what a difference it might make.

~ Revah

"See, Leisha -- this tree made this flower. Because it can. Only this tree can make this kind of wonderful flower. That plant hanging up there can't, and those can't either. Only this tree. Therefore the most important thing in the world for this tree to do is grow this flower. The flower is the tree's individuality -- that means just it, and nothing else -- made manifest. Nothing else matters." ~ Nancy Kress, Beggars in Spain

~ I am the warrant and the sanction ~

Cutting back on things slowly is a good approach. Don't try leaping into everything at once unless you're very strong willed or completely insane - I'm not sure which I am...

I'm in a similar position with you on losing weight - having been underweight for most of my life, I want the weight to stay the same but just to be made of different stuff. Diet WILL have an impact on that, but you'll still get half the benefit from changing half of it (like cutting down on takeout). Otherwise you might end up with some powerful muscles hidden under a layer of fat. Dammit, I want to see mine... once I have some to see...

Good luck and welcome, Revah! I'm sure you'll find lots of friends here.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Welcome! Always nice to have more UK people. :)

And I totally understand about not bothering when there are books to read. I mean, seriously. There's a new Iain Banks out, why am I in the gym again?...

The 100 Pushups challenge is awesome. It will really help you get stronger, and it's great how quickly people progress on it. There are a lot of people here who can give you advice on other bodyweight exercises too - squats, burpees, pull-ups, that kind of thing. Dive right in! :)

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Artinum, I definitely think small steps work for me, particularly as I've got people around me who won't be on-board with this and I don't make all the food choices in my household. Today, however, I've eaten nothing but healthy food (as I define it) and I feel pretty good about it. :) One day at a time.

I actually kind of like the idea of being the fat girl who is deceptively strong, with my muscles hidden away. Sounds rather cool.

ZenGwen - that's what I like about it too, the progress is both measurable and quick (I know quick isn't always the goal, but as a newbie I'd like that bit of motivation). I tried out proper squats as part of my circuit today too, and they're so much more effective than the high-rep bouncing-up-and-down sort that I was taught years and years ago.

And pull-ups! Now there's a long-term goal, since right now I'm not even close to being able to do one. Maybe this time next year... ;)

MirGSS - thanks! Great to know there are other veggies around here, I'll go check out the guild.

"See, Leisha -- this tree made this flower. Because it can. Only this tree can make this kind of wonderful flower. That plant hanging up there can't, and those can't either. Only this tree. Therefore the most important thing in the world for this tree to do is grow this flower. The flower is the tree's individuality -- that means just it, and nothing else -- made manifest. Nothing else matters." ~ Nancy Kress, Beggars in Spain

~ I am the warrant and the sanction ~

Hi Revah!

I'm in the same boat as you as far as not wanting to lose weight. I just want the weight I have to be composed of muscle and not fat. I also agree with your approach and what others are saying in response to you....one step at a time is the way to do it. Trying to take on too much at once can make this whole I'm-going-to-get-healthy thing seem overwhelming. I was (am still, I suppose) a sugar/carb addict and I have found that just cutting out my daily Mountain Dew worked WONDERS on changing how I felt! So, I definitely hear you on trying to change your diet to include less sugar and junk. It's hard, but so SO worth it!

Best of luck to you! You've got lots of support here. :-)

"'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." -- Josey Wales