Forums are back in action! ×

Really tired

Hi everyone,

Just a quick silly question today: since I've been working out more (around 30 mins three times a week) i've been feeling really tired and I'm trying to work out what to do. I've started having "sustagen sport" when I work out and also more fruit juice but otherwise I haven't changed my diet, and that may be where I need to start - I don't feel I eat too badly, I'm not overweight or anything and get a reasonable amount of veg but bit as much red near as i'd like - do I just eat more, or should I take one of those serious protein supplements? I'm doing some weights (dumbbells, started strong lifts but have been distracted doing more bodyweight and cardio for the challenges the last couple of weeks),

Also going to the doctor for a check up later in the week, any suggestions on things to discuss with him re having started more exercise?

Regards

Quentin

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Obvious question here, but how much are you sleeping? While I could get away with six hours of sleep before, if I don't get a full eight hours of sleep now, especially the night after a workout, I feel like shit. Your body might need some more protein or carbs or whatever, but it most likely needs some more time to put itself back together.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Could be sleep, food, hydration or anything else - maybe you are shaking off a mild virus? Definitely worth a trip to the doctors to rule out anything sinister, and then experiment with the other variables until you find what works for you.

Last week, for the first time, I was too tired to work out one evening, but it followed a 40km bike ride and not enough carbs the day before, so I didn't feel too bad about needing some rest! Worth keeping in mind that rest is what allows our bodies to grow.

I think your fruit juice intake might be a bad idea, but I agree with what others have said here as well. The fruit juice though is like a sugar bomb, with no fiber, pulp or skin to slow down the metabolization process.

It might not be causing your tiredness, but I'm sure it's causing an insulin spike and later a crash. You should probably also look at how many grams of protein you're consuming per day.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the help everyone!

I have been going to bed a bit earlier and getting around 7 - 7 1/2 hours but am trying to get in a full 8.

Re the juice, I hadn't thought of the sugar and I just looked and the one I usually has contains 14mg of sugar / 200ml but the other one in the fridge had 22mg / 200ml, the same as the bottle of lemonade next to it! The reason I got into the juice to begin with was I read somewhere that fruit was one of the best things you could have straight after a workout, and as we often don't have a lot of fruit in the house, the juice was my substitute!

I think I need to try to get that full 8 hours sleep, easy a bit more red meat and see what else the doc suggests tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk