Forums are back in action! ×

Is heavier weights the answer?

I take a boot camp class 3 days a week, due to arthritis in my knee, I can't do a lot of jumping around which cuts down on the amount of cardio I do in the class. I have to modify everything, so I just don't feel I get the benefit as much. Especially with getting in to better shape, the rest of me wants to really push, but my knee just won't let me. I started the class last June and struggled with using 3lbs weights, I have since moved up to 8lbs, I can't always do all the reps but I'm getting there. Since I can't do all the cardio, is using heavier weights, helping with the calorie burn? At least in the long run.

I hope this made sense.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

My wife has had knees problems since I've known her. I finally convinced here to do dedicated weight training rather then any sort of cardio (she might still do 15-20 minutes warmups). But she's seen her strength in her legs go way up and she hasn't had any knees "flair-ups" as I call them lately.

Maybe not what you were looking for, but getting strength in low reps isn't a bad thing. And it's much less stressful on the joints then a full cardio session.

I don't have any experience with boot camp programs, so I can't really advise you as to that. I agree with Rooks' suggestion of strength training -- it's unlikely that you'll have knee problems, and you might even be able to improve the condition of your knees somewhat.

Cardio is always going to the superior calorie burner -- you'd put yourself in the hospital trying to burn as many calories in the weight room as you would with a couple hours of walking -- but strength training is a completely viable path to health and fitness. I'm somewhat biased (I love lifting heavy and I've never run more than 3 miles at a time) but you might want to consider checking it out.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Cardio is always going to the superior calorie burner -- you'd put yourself in the hospital trying to burn as many calories in the weight room as you would with a couple hours of walking -- but strength training is a completely viable path to health and fitness. I'm somewhat biased (I love lifting heavy and I've never run more than 3 miles at a time) but you might want to consider checking it out.

What Cardio lacks as opposed to strength training is high levels of EPOC, where your body is in an increased metabolic state for a day or two after exercise. Heavy lifting and circuit training are great for that. I would say strength training can most certainly rival traditional forms of cardio.

my typical weekly workout routine is MWF is 8am Boot camp, a lot of combo moves, like squats with a front raise(forgot whats is called) lunges with bicep curls, jumping jacks with shoulder press, ad things like bur-pees and mountian climbers.There is more, but that's a few examples. I also do TRX on TT nights and Saturday is weight training and boot camp. I would have never thought I would have to worry about my fitness level, going higher than my ability. Anything that requires jumping, I have to step ect. Some of us where heart rate monitors with cal counters and mine is always about 200 cals less than the others. I use higher weights(8's and 10's) and everyone else usually uses 5's. I'm hoping I am burning cals longer than them, to make up the difference. Make sense?

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

6 months ago I could barely put any weight on my right knee. 30 seconds of jumping jacks would cause significant pain from the impact. I was trying to run, but even running 1 mile would mean that I couldn't walk up stairs the next day.

I started some physical therapy, and that got me to the point where I could do a real squat... no weights, but squat evenly on both legs. That was a great step, but my knee still hurt a lot. During therapy they demonstrated to me over and over how much weaker my right leg was than my left, but told me to keep working.

I started squatting with weights on my own about 2 months ago. One the first day I did 3 sets of 12 with a 15 pound weight. My legs were super sore the next day, but my knee didn't hurt at all. I did the same thing a couple days later. This time, my quads weren't hardly sore at all, and my knee started feeling even better.

I've consistently added weight since then, and my knee is feeling better than it has is years. I'm 31 years old, but have had issues on and off for 5 years or so. I've even thinking of getting a pair of vibrams and trying running again, since they say that those are great for people with knee problems.

So, from personal experience, I'd recommend trying to put some muscle on your legs, and doing some low-impact cardio for a few weeks, and then see if your knees are doing any better.

GNOME WARRIOR LEVEL SIX
STR 22.25 | DEX 7.25 | STA 15 | CON 23.75 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 10.25

Warrior Challenge #27 Champion