Forums are back in action! ×

The Lamest Woot Ever

I'm home for easter at my parent's house and I found the guitar that I bought in high school with a half a$$ed intention to learn..kind of decided now was the time to actually do it since I'm leveling up other aspects of my life..youtubed "how to learn to play guitar" and taught myself how to play...wait for it....

Smoke on the Water!

Hahaha. I know it's so lame but I'm stupidly proud of myself. I'm taking the thing home with me and am going to continue learning. Actually does anyone have any tips for acquiring such a skill? Without costly lessons.

Look for me on the cover of Guitar World* soon!

*no idea if such a magazine exists.

The Road Goes Ever On And On

You can watch stuff happen, MAKE stuff happen, or wonder what the heck happened

I think I'll have a Mounds...

Awesome! And not really, just... endless strumming. I taught myself to play bass by learning every Nintendo theme song by ear (Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger were full of gems). Zozo Theme on a really overdriven bass sounds sooooooooo evil.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

..youtubed "how to learn to play guitar" and taught myself how to play...wait for it....

Smoke on the Water!

haha, my daughter takes bass lessons, and her instructor taught her Smoke on the water last week..lol

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

That's not the lamest woot ever ... While at university I lived across the quad from someone that didn't crack smoke on the water all year, despite playing nothing else every night for a minimum of 3 hours ;(

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I know that Guitar World used to exist, although print media is a dying industry and I haven't went looking for it in a long time, so I am not sure.

One great website that I like to recommend to people is www.chordie.com. It has lessons, and a huge number of songs online. The songs are user submitted, so they have varying degrees of accuracy. I usually just find songs that I need lyrics and basic chord structure to. I never play things "right" anyway, always in my own style (whatever that is!). 5 chords will let you play 90% of all the old school country and folk songs ever written (and you usually only need 3 for any given song).

Have fun with it. It's a great hobby.

I know that Guitar World used to exist, although print media is a dying industry and I haven't went looking for it in a long time, so I am not sure.

One great website that I like to recommend to people is www.chordie.com. It has lessons, and a huge number of songs online. The songs are user submitted, so they have varying degrees of accuracy. I usually just find songs that I need lyrics and basic chord structure to. I never play things "right" anyway, always in my own style (whatever that is!). 5 chords will let you play 90% of all the old school country and folk songs ever written (and you usually only need 3 for any given song).

Have fun with it. It's a great hobby.

Thanks everybody! I googled it..Guitar World magazine does in fact exist, so maybe there is hope for my appearing on its cover..hah. That website sounds helpful, I will definitely check it out. I can sing by ear (not the greatest voice but I can carry a tune) and frustrated my childhood piano teacher by playing the songs by hearing them and picking them out instead of learning the notes so I think I can teach myself guitar with enough practice and work. Which of course, are the tricky parts :)

That's not the lamest woot ever ... While at university I lived across the quad from someone that didn't crack smoke on the water all year, despite playing nothing else every night for a minimum of 3 hours ;(

Oh man..that's sad. You'd think after a while he'd at least stumble on it even by accident!

Head to guitarnoise.com

Sweet forum with tons of helpful people, I used to post over there back in the day. Getting mentally involved with a lot of people who are serious about improvement will really help you start to get into it :)

Beyond that, I recommend a copy of Fretboard Logic to anyone starting guitar or bass. I know a ton of guys who have played the guitar for years and never really figured out how it all works together, or how to improvise anything, or think that a chord is only one given shape on the fretboard, when in reality it's just a set of notes. It helped me bridge the gap from "guy who has a pile of songs memorized" to Actual Musician! :D

Good luck!