Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all

I'm new to this nerd world and loving it so far, but I cant figure out the challenges or what you mean when you say 90k into a fantasy novel..

Help I want to join the challenges and fairly fit - but have trouble sticking to goals. Having said that i get min of 45 mins cardio per day. 

Will write more when comfortable and can figure out how to do this...

• Like 2

:bee:

This too shall pass

Hello!  Welcome!  I'm a newbie as well, but I have a few of the most straight forward things figured out.  I also have trouble sticking to goals, so we have that in common too. :)  

In terms of challenges, the best advice I can give you is to watch Spezzy's video on completing your first challenge.  Click "4 week challenge" up top and then under it should say "video walk through of your first challenge."  It explains setting your larger "quests" and breaking them down into goals.  It really helped me to do the worksheet before I decided what my challenge goals were, so I suggest doing that as well.  Its not as confusing as it sounds.  If you just want to get your feet wet for this challenge, the rebels is always a great place to start, OR you could look into the other guilds and decide if there is another that fits your needs better (you have a week to prep for this next challenge).  I'm a ranger because I want to do both cardio and lifting (as well as a few other things) but if you're just into running, or lifting, martial arts, etc, there is a group for everything.

And since I think it's my post you're quoting, being 90k into a fantasy novel means I've written 90,000 words.

If you need more help, there are tons of awesome people on the boards who probably know way more than I do.

Feel free to reach out if you ever need any encouragement or an accountability person, even if you end up in a different guild.

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Hey hey zeroh13 I have questions. How do I follow a person's updates? And how do I reply so my comment is below the original post, I see that when I read others but not sure how that works. 

Hmm what else.. how do I add all those links at the bottom.(okay I have no previous challenges but hey planning for future)

Today the air is so smokey in Yellowknife due to forest fires, just walking a total of  9 kilometres has made my throat raw and scratchy!

:bee:

This too shall pass

*steps in on zeroh's soapbox (Sorry! Please don't hate me :D And thanks for letting me creep on your profile without permission to answer! #should_have_been_assasin?)*

For following a person's updates, you can click on their name in a post which will take you to their profile page. At the top of the member's page, next to their profile picture should be two boxes, "Follow member" and "Message". Click on "Follow Member" and again on "Follow" when the pop-up comes up and you should receive a notification on any new posts that member makes.

I am not sure I am following on your second question; do you mean how to quote a post? Is there an example thread/post you are looking at?

The links at the bottom are part of a members signature. Go to the top of the page (way up top) and click on your username; a dropdown should pop up, then click on Account Settings which will take you to a new page. On the left side will be a list and one of those is Signature, click on that and add in your signature editing it to your heart's content to include fancy artful stuff (up to 15 lines; I keep mine boring as I used to list all my PRs until I realized it was too much effort to keep track of in my signature as I never motivated myself to update it XD)

Hope the answers were useful and sorry to hear about the smokey air.  Any chance of doing a treadmill or walking inside to avoid additional damage? (as should be assumed, I'm not a doctor [of anything for that matter]; but I can't imagine the benefit of working out/walking for exercise outside is advantageous compared to the potential health problems)

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Sorry for the late reply, @Alcinoe!

On 8/14/2017 at 7:08 PM, Alcinoe said:

How do I follow a person's updates?

@Tialoredron gave instructions for following all posts made by someone. If you want to follow all posts made in a specific thread, when you reply there is an option above the submit button that says "notify me of replies". Select that before replying to the post, and then you will be following the thread.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:08 PM, Alcinoe said:

And how do I reply so my comment is below the original post, I see that when I read others but not sure how that works. 

To get something like this, where my comment is below a part of your post, at the bottom of the post you want to respond to, click on "Quote", and it should make that post show up in the reply area, then you can type under it. If you don't want the whole post to show up in your reply, you can go into the quote and delete the parts you don't want. There are other ways, but that's the easiest.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!