Forums are back in action! ×

Northeastern U.S. Trip - Suggestions?

For our summer vacation this year, we might be building a trip around a drive down to Philadelpia to see a Jonathan Coulton concert, and then exploring the Northeastern U.S. for the rest of the week.

I'm looking for any suggestions to people who have been there or are from the area! I've never been to this part of the U.S., so I have no idea what to look for. Of course, there's always New York City, but I think a week in NY would be too much for me.

I'm looking for:

• Outdoorsy things (hiking, parks, lakes, etc.)
  • Cutural things (museums, galleries, etc.)
  • Just generally fun or interesting things to do/see (breweries, tours, amusement parks, etc.)

I know there are American historical sites in the area, but... that doesn't have a significant interest to me. I am more interested in natural history than American history!

This is approximately the area I'm willing to explore, so anything in there is fair game, although I've indicated our main route so closer to that is good.

trip.png

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

I love JoCo! I got to see him last weekend at PAX and bought and got him to sign Artificial Heart. I did the same with his live album last year. And now that I check his tour I see he's back in Boston June 1. Nice!

As for places to see I say BostonBostonBoston. But I might be a tad biased. And that's pretty out of the way. I'll start thinking of natural history things in the area to put forth a better argument (better than the fact that I, Seth, Matilda, Spezzy, gizmo, Knightwatch, and others are all here).

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Wow! :) Boston is definitely on my radar - I didn't realize there were so many in the area! I've always heard it's a nice place, I wouldn't mind visiting there for sure. We could do a triangle - Ottawa > Philly > Boston > Ottawa. Anything in particular you would recommend around there?

My boyfriend and I met last Spring at a JoCo concert, so I felt it would be good to go see his concert again! It will be just a couple weeks after the 1-year anniversary, so it seems kinda romantic... right? :) Well, nerdy romantic, at least.

I'd love to go to the concert in Boston instead, but we would have to pick one that works with his custody schedule... we've got the kids that week, so it doesn't work so well.

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

For outdoory stuff, I would suggest a visit to Cherry Springs State Park in PA. It is really popular for star gazers because it has so little light pollution.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/cherrysprings/index.htm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Jump Rope Rotations: 20,500/80,000

What is Dead May Never Die, but Rise Again, Harder and Stronger

yeah, Boston!! That'd be wicked awesome. I feel like the city does a lot of stuff to bring people outdoors in the summer, so there will probably be something fun to do. Plus, you could do one of my fave things, which is take a ferry out to the Boston Harbor and spend the day on one or more of the islands. :) AND, of course, find a way to meet up with us fellow Nerds!

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Ohhh Ohhh! I am doing the same thing since I plan to drive around the NE in late May! So far on my list I've got

1) Boston - lots to do (Sam Adams Brewery and Fenway PArk tours are on my list).

2) Maine coast with a stop in Bar Harbor (lobster, crabs, and clams will be eaten until the are endangered!)

3) New Hamshire - State parks and scenic tour drive (still need to work on this state

4) Vermont - Middlebury for the Robert Frost trail (the actual trial that inspired his famous poem).

5) For all the states I am hitting up a bunch of state/national parks to climb the highest peaks.

6) Higgens Armory Mueseum in Worchester, MA

I've got a whole list at home of other stuff too but this is just what I had in mind.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Boston is nice.

Keep in mind PA has mountains (big ones!) and a beautiful part of the Appalachian trail. It's nice hiking and some of it is kind of tough. But you can totally do day treks on the AT in both PA and NJ if you base at Stroudsburg.

Philly is awesome - welcome to my town. Lots of cool fun stuff here. Boot camp Saturday morning at the art museum looking down one of the most beautiful streets. Let me know if you are interested ($25 drop in) and I can send you info.

Are you looking to sightsee in Philly?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Boston, and Cape Cod. Beaches, bike trails, hiking, dunes, clam shacks -- life as good as it gets.

Spend a couple days in Boston, then head out to the Cape (where the northern part is the "lower" cape and the southern part is the "upper" cape - just like the arm it resembles) and rest and relax and explore marshes and kettleponds and the ocean and the bay. It's all good.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I'm from the Philly area and will be moving back in early June, so we could meet up when you're down there, as for thigns to do while in the city:

-Independence Park- You're not United Statesian, so it may not be a big deal for you, but Philly was the capital during the revolution and Independence Hall , the Liberty Bell, and all sorts of stuff to due with the important people back then are here.

- Philadelphia Art Museum- A good art museum, and known for the Rocky steps.

- Franklin Institute- Geared toward the kids a bit, but tons of nerdy stuff here too.

- Phillies games- nuff said

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Just rerelease your post. We've got 4 breweries (one is green), one of the best art museums in the world for impressionist art (and they have big displays of swords, furniture, a temple, a tea house), a park larger than central park in NYC, awesome food (and I'm paleo and it's easy to eat here), and it was the birthplace of our country! If you want to tour independence hall (yes!) or see the liberty bell inside (skip to see outside), you should buy tics online ahead of time.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I sense a Philly meet up coming!

I AM going the distance

I would check out Newport RI. I think it's cool if you like sailing or would like to be relax on the bay on a sailboat.

I would also recommend Barrington and Sakonnet in RI. There are some good wineries and restaurants that cater to foods complementary to the local wines. you could spend a day tasting wines at the different vintners. It is scenic and picturesque, kinda like Cape Cod, but without all the summer traffic. Sorry, not hating on Cape Cod, it's pretty, but what I recall more than the scenery there in the Summer, is the traffic jam for miles...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Ohhh Ohhh! I am doing the same thing since I plan to drive around the NE in late May! So far on my list I've got

1) Boston - lots to do (Sam Adams Brewery and Fenway PArk tours are on my list).

2) Maine coast with a stop in Bar Harbor (lobster, crabs, and clams will be eaten until the are endangered!)

3) New Hamshire - State parks and scenic tour drive (still need to work on this state

4) Vermont - Middlebury for the Robert Frost trail (the actual trial that inspired his famous poem).

5) For all the states I am hitting up a bunch of state/national parks to climb the highest peaks.

6) Higgens Armory Mueseum in Worchester, MA

I've got a whole list at home of other stuff too but this is just what I had in mind.

As someone from this state I'll go ahead and tell you that's about all there is there :-)

I love Boston. I miss living there most in the summer. I definitely recommend that (yay nf meetup!). Vermont, NH and Maine all have great scenery and hiking so it would be super easy to find that kind of stuff there.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm gonna speak up for Canada! :D

En route to Ottawa, you have Niagara Falls, the Niagara Escarpment, Toronto, and beach areas along most of the great lakes. Lots of sights to seeeeeeeeeee.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I have to say that as much as I love the US the Canadian side of Niagara is way prettier.

Just make sure you BYOB >.> Ontario alcohol prices will make you weep.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Bar Harbor is awesome and definitely worth a visit if you don't mind driving all the way up the Maine coast, which is also awesome. Plus if you're in that area you can also go to Acadia National Park, which is a great place if you love nature. If you don't want to drive that far up the coast, Portland Maine and Portsmouth New Hampshire are also great to visit.

The White Mountains area of New Hampshire is also a great place to visit. The Kancamagus Highway has a lot of great nature sights on it. Too bad the Old Man in the Mountain is gone.

Wow, thank you all for the input! Who needs a travel agent when you've got an awesome community to draw from?

You guys make a strong argument for hitting Boston! It sounds great, and I will totally organize one or many meet ups with any NFers in the Philly/Boston area when we're there! The trip would be June 8-15, with the first bit being in the Philly area (concert is on the 9th), and then maybe we'll head up towards Boston.

I would really like to take a couple of days to do camping/hiking for sure, and it seems like there are a lot of great places not too far away from either of those locations. We're new to hiking, so I'd like something scenic but not too difficult - although we're both always up for a challenge. Does anyone has any specific parks or locations (other than the ones already mentioned) that they would recommend for this kind of thing?

@aj_rock: I'm en route from Ottawa! Having grown up in SW Ontario (between Windsor and London), all of my family trips growing up were along the Windsor-Kingston corridor. Not to say there isn't lots to see, and I agree Niagara is awesome, but... looking for a bit of a new scene this year. Last year we went to Stratford and saw Shakespeare - which was a great local trip I would totally recommend!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

You could always go to the most hiked mountain in the U.S. and reportedly western hemisphere, Mount Monadnock. The basic trails up and down aren't bad at all for beginner hikers or even non-hikers. I'm sure there are better ones but I'm a bit out of touch with hiking lately and that's the only one I've done in the last 8 years or so.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.