Forums are back in action! ×

I'd like to, you know, live...

Morning!

It's been so long since I had any kind of fitness routine that I might as well call myself brand new to the process.  Earlier this month I was admitted to the hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis - blood sugar pinged at 646 in the ER.  They had to do a blood draw to get a read because their glucometers didn't go that high.  That was enough of a wakeup call.  I didn't need to hear from three different doctors during and after the process that my pancreas is no longer producing any insulin to speak of and that if I don't lose some weight I'll die, but we play the cards we're dealt.  Gotta say, the DM in this game is pretty freaking sadistic.

Anyway, it seems regular exercise is like riding a bike.  I have a Gazelle upstairs that sat ignored for the longest time, the victim of extra money and good intentions.  I had planned to start with 20 minutes of cardio daily, but my body remembered what it's like to be active from my time as a gym rat (long memory, that) and has got me up to 90 minutes already.  I only started this business Thursday.  I've got the Fitbit and am watching everything that goes in and out like a hawk now.

I had already unintentionally lost about 50 lbs from my highest weight, and my goal now is to lose another 60.  The doctors would be more comfortable with 80, but on my frame that would make me look malnourished and I do need a bit of spare fat to rotate the five daily insulin injections.  I've given up the old habits, and even though it's only been four days now I already feel so much better for it.  Just a damn good thing I've already quit smoking or this would be impossible.

I've already posted elsewhere looking for healthy eating tips, so I'll leave off for now by saying hello, and thanks for any general advice you can offer!

-Dev

• Like 1

Hi Dev, welcome!

That's a seriously tough wake up call. It sounds like you're off to a good start though. 

You should consider adding some strength training to your routine. It can help a lot with losing weight and getting into shape. Hitting the weights at the gym or starting with basic bodyweight exercises are equally good options. 

Take care of yourself and best of luck!

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Hi there! Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start. I second adding strength training - a bodyweight routine is  a terrific way to start. 

I think it's really great that you are trying to turn your life around. My dad had a similar medical issue to you and he did nothing about it, and he passed away. I'm dealing with some anger over his inaction. 

level 7 ranger | battle log | challenges: 1