Forums are back in action! ×

A short introduction,

I'm a University student who's recently taken up calisthenics and Taekwando, I come from a powerlifting background so it's a sharp turn for me - Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I'm looking to get leaner, more mobile and stronger, my current goals are:

20 Pullups

5 Muscle ups

10s L sit

Looking for a healthy fitness community so I thought I'd give NF a try. Also posting my workouts gives me some accountability.

• Like 1

Welcome, welcome!

I have indeed temporarily detoured into the calisthenics realm. You mentioned recently, so this is a new foray for you or do you have some calisthenic background prior? Also, are you following a program or just doing stuff until you figure out what works? Can you do any of the above mentioned exercises already?

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

Welcome, welcome!

I have indeed temporarily detoured into the calisthenics realm. You mentioned recently, so this is a new foray for you or do you have some calisthenic background prior? Also, are you following a program or just doing stuff until you figure out what works? Can you do any of the above mentioned exercises already?

I've been at it for about two months, very much still new to it all. 

I've been freeforming my routine and seeing how I feel, I've got a fairly good idea of how much volume my body can take and how it responds to certain types of training. I can definitely say calisthenics is much more forgiving than PLing in terms of recovery, hallelujah. As it stands I'm at about 13/14 clean pullups in a max set at 83kg bodyweight, one or two muscle ups and a few seconds of an L sit. 

How about yourself, how're you finding the transition?

Welcome! Lots of calisthenics folks here working on similar stuff.  Pretty impressive that you can get a couple of MUs after 2 months. I have been at it for almost half a year and still haven't got there yet   /jealous

Are you doing ring or bar MUs?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

23 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Welcome! Lots of calisthenics folks here working on similar stuff.  Pretty impressive that you can get a couple of MUs after 2 months. I have been at it for almost half a year and still haven't got there yet   /jealous

Are you doing ring or bar MUs?

Thanks !

I wouldn't be too jealous I've been training on and off for the past few years. 

The muscle ups are on bars at the moment. That may have to change once I swap gym, doesn't look as if the ceiling will be high enough - so I may have to switch to ring MUps if I want to continue doing them. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, El Titano said:

I've been at it for about two months, very much still new to it all. 

I've been freeforming my routine and seeing how I feel, I've got a fairly good idea of how much volume my body can take and how it responds to certain types of training. I can definitely say calisthenics is much more forgiving than PLing in terms of recovery, hallelujah. 

Preach. Even when I've hit it hard, my body definitely recovers faster from moving itself around than moving iron around.

7 hours ago, El Titano said:

As it stands I'm at about 13/14 clean pullups in a max set at 83kg bodyweight, one or two muscle ups and a few seconds of an L sit. 

How about yourself, how're you finding the transition?

I'm a big dude, so it's been tough and beyond the stuff I've done with the military I've not really delved into bodyweight. But I'm seeing significant endurance gains right now. I'm also doing a predefined program that has going from zero to 5 muscle-ups in 6 months. So it's been slow and steady, I'm just finishing my first month on the program and we'll see how month two goes.

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior